PDA

View Full Version : Remarkable: Mission Tortilla really is somewhat less of a fiasco than it was!

Pages : [1] 2

hbquikcomjamesl
04-23-2006, 01:02 PM
Last night, lacking anything better to do while waiting for the Electrical Parade (because even DCA was so busy), and noticing that they actually had both tortilla lines up and running, I finally gave Mission Tortilla another shot.

Wow. The kids in the video ain't no Rosie-and-Colin act, and I notice that the "pepper's ghost peep-shows" that look uncomfortably like the film loops in Epcot Mexico's "El Desperdicio de Tiempo" (especially the "marketplace" loops) have yet to be replaced with something less embarrassing,

BUT
IT'S
STILL
A TREMENDOUS IMPROVEMENT
OVER THE
EMBARRASSING FIASCO
IT ONCE WAS!

They still need to add some videos over the lines, showing things that can't be seen even when they're running, and showing them running for when they're not, and they still need a less embarrassing way of showing the progress from pounding out the masa on a rock to full mechanization, but it's come a long way.

There was also a lot more going on in Boudin last night than I've seen in a while.

cstephens
04-23-2006, 08:34 PM
I like the video ok, but I actually preferred it when the CM would spiel. In the numerous times we've gone through the tortilla tour, we only got the spiel once. They actually told a story using the murals on the walls, and it was very interesting and informative, though, no, I couldn't tell you now what they said.

We went through the bread tour recently and hadn't noticed anything different at all. The video is exactly the same. What did you notice that was different/more?

Another Dimension
04-24-2006, 12:16 AM
It was and still is a nice simple A-ticket exhibit-style attraction.. it has improved since the days of no pre-show video and only half a tortilla per Guest.. but where is this fiasco?
FEMA and Katrina.. a fiasco.. Mission.. a fun little educational diversion and a free snack. OMG!

What did you logically expect in that space and for that price, another Indy .. for $100 million less?

Even's Walt's '55 TL was 'really weak' .. but hardly a fiasco.

....and Walt Disney lied about the weeds all over the park. Walt must have been Braverman's inspiration. :rolleyes:

I just don't get the cheesy slam DCA always gets from some people.

Millions love the place... and I have a lot of fun there.. that's all that really matters to me. I just don't get why the peeps who hate the place like it shoved their mom down a flight of stairs.... are the people who go there all the time. :rolleyes:

Vegitabeta
04-24-2006, 03:14 AM
Erm, ok:confused:

Osky
04-24-2006, 05:54 AM
Must be Monday. Yikes! :rolleyes:

ralfrick
04-24-2006, 07:17 AM
Even's Walt's '55 TL was 'really weak' .. but hardly a fiasco.

Absolutely true, but what was that TL like 5 years later?

Cheers.

Vegitabeta
04-24-2006, 08:35 AM
Must be Monday. Yikes! :rolleyes:
Yeah, who would have thought that you could have such a heavy conversation about a tortilla factory!?

hbquikcomjamesl
04-24-2006, 08:58 AM
Actually, I like DCA. I like Soarin', and MuppetVision, and the Animation Building. I mourned the loss of the Soap Opera Bistro (even though I'm not even remotely a soap opera fan, I'm enough of a television production geek to, and familiar enough with the cliches of the soap genre, to get the gags). I even thought SuperStar Lemon was kind of cute, albeit disappointing (not to mention that if they were going to base an attraction on in-jokes that only Disney geeks would get, they should have made it a bit more repeatable).

And I while I've seen better, I've always liked Golden Dreams. And I thoroughly enjoy Boudin, and visit it almost every time I'm in DCA.

But the Mission Tortilla Fiasco has problems. This past Saturday evening was the first time I ever saw both tortilla lines up and running, and as to the peep-shows in the lobby, and of the things it needs just to bring it up to the same level as Boudin on a bad day, when nothing's going on (not to mention a general air of cheapness and of playing down to stereotype that's uncomfortably reminiscent of Epcot Mexico's "El Desperdicio de Tiempo"), I've already made my opinion known.

Wesley815
04-24-2006, 10:31 AM
But the Mission Tortilla Fiasco has problems.Gheez... if you think that attraction/tour is a "fiasco" then I'd hate to think of how you deal with real life problems. :rolleyes:

Relax... everything will be ok. :geek:

CrazyTrain
04-24-2006, 12:52 PM
Wow. The kids in the video ain't no Rosie-and-Colin act ...

Thank GOD for that.
That video's SO annoying. My friends and I can never stay in there for long. There's nothing to do in that room, either, just watch the show and that's it. At least the Mission factory has a few "exhibits."

And those kids are adorable!
Maseca!

kisroo
04-24-2006, 01:18 PM
And those kids are adorable!
Maseca!

I so agree, CrazyTrain!!

I especially like the kiddo that says "Maseca!!!" like Goldberg's hyena says "Mufasa!!!" in the Lion King (and then the other two shudder and tell her to do it again...). Cracks me and Mr kisroo up. :p We usually end up whispering "Maseca! a few times just for fun. :geek:

I could do without Rosie and her friend at the Boudin bakery. But, really, for what both the Tortilla Factory and the bakery are there for (fun, educational exhibits), I wouldn't say either of them are fiascos.

To each their own.

~kisroo:)

Andrew
04-24-2006, 01:52 PM
Maseca!

We usually end up whispering "Maseca! a few times just for fun.

Just for you two... (and we do the same thing!)

CrazyTrain
04-24-2006, 02:30 PM

:D Yay! Thanks! :D

squirrel2k
04-24-2006, 02:36 PM
And now, to celebrate the importance of Maseca corn flour to the indigenous people of Central and South America, please take this flour tortilla with our compliments.

Lani
04-24-2006, 02:39 PM
One thing I've never understood -- WHY don't they put seats in front of the chef, and have people actually sample a bite of the food they cook? It's such a stupid waste otherwise.

Osky
04-24-2006, 02:48 PM
And now, to celebrate the importance of Maseca corn flour to the indigenous people of Central and South America, please take this flour tortilla with our compliments.

What does that have to do with California?

cstephens
04-24-2006, 03:32 PM
One thing I've never understood -- WHY don't they put seats in front of the chef, and have people actually sample a bite of the food they cook? It's such a stupid waste otherwise.

We've asked about the food, and I believe someone else posted the same thing in a previous tortilla factory thread, but whereas they're allowed to give the tortillas themselves away, they're not authorized as a food service location, so they can't give away the prepared food.

Lani
04-24-2006, 03:35 PM
We've asked about the food, and I believe someone else posted the same thing in a previous tortilla factory thread, but whereas they're allowed to give the tortillas themselves away, they're not authorized as a food service location, so they can't give away the prepared food.
...which I think is just a bunch of bureaucratic hooha, if you ask me. The right hand doesn't want to work with the left hand, in my opinion.

hbquikcomjamesl
04-24-2006, 03:39 PM
I guess that one's appreciation of Rosie and Colin in Boudin depends in large part on one's appreciation of their brand of humor.

And whether there's anything to see in either exhibit depends in large part on what's going on. In Boudin, if they're rolling up dough-balls on one end of the intermediate proofer (the "little Disney ride for bread -- . . . please keep your buns inside the vehicle at all times"), and there's a guy on the other end catching them and setting them on screens to send upstairs to the proofbox, that's something to watch. If there's a rack of dough-balls that have come down from the proof-box, and they're being scored prior to the rack being loaded into the oven, then there's something to watch at Boudin. Conversely, if neither tortilla line is running at Mission, then there's nothing to watch there, after the video is over, unless you're into ridiculous, cheap-looking peep-shows, or staring at idle machinery.

Andrew
04-24-2006, 03:47 PM
Conversely, if neither tortilla line is running at Mission, then there's nothing to watch there, after the video is over, unless you're into ridiculous, cheap-looking peep-shows, or staring at idle machinery.
I've never gone through the Mission tour when one of the machines was not running. I'm surprised they would not close the exhibit if both machines were down.

yeartolate
04-24-2006, 09:21 PM
It is a diversion. It was never meant to be more, was it?

hbquikcomjamesl
04-24-2006, 10:14 PM
It is a diversion. It was never meant to be more, was it?Is any theme park attraction, when you get right down to it?
There are simply so many things they could have done, but didn't, that would have made it a much more pleasant and interesting diversion than it is. I've only listed a few of the ones that seemed the most obvious to me.

kisroo
04-25-2006, 05:54 AM

Coooooooolllll!!!! The Maseca doggie!!! Thanks Andrew! :cool:

I'm wandering around this morning whispering "Maseca!" now. :geek:

Great way to start a Tuesday morn if you ask me.

~kisroo:)

PapiBear
04-26-2006, 04:05 AM
Mission: Space

Mission: Tortilla

Mission: Fiasco

Lupe Fiasco (http://www.lupefiasco.com/)

squirrel2k
04-26-2006, 08:57 AM
Mission: Space
Mission: Tortilla
Mission: Fiasco

Oooh. I'm good at these.

Mission Space > Mission Tortilla > Total Fiasco > Hollow Man > Kevin Bacon.