PDA

View Full Version : Fireworks trash

blondiemouse
04-22-2006, 11:42 AM
Well its been a week since we got back to the UK from a real wonderful 3rd Disneyland vacation but a thought that wont go away is people sitting in the hub just dropping litter on the ground during the fireworks.I mean just take it with you,put it in a bin already! I have never seen a Disney park look in such a sorry state as that place did at 9-45 last week.Show some respect this is Walt Disneys magic kingdom,if managment let it get 10% as dirty as that people would be going nuts.Rant over-by the way Remember what a show,awesome :~D

darph nader
04-22-2006, 02:19 PM
There's a hiking/camping adage "pack it in, pack it out". Sad to say most,sorry "some" people don't feel this way. "Hey "I" paid the price, let someone clean up the mess".:mad: I've always hated cleaning up after someone else.My g-kids don't count b/c their too young to understand.:rolleyes:

MortgageMan
04-22-2006, 02:35 PM
I think this has been said before but if you can't put your trash in a trash can at DL, where there are more trash cans per square foot than just about any where in the world, then I'm sorry to say but you are pretty much a pig.

Don't mean to be so harsh but we all have our hot buttons and littering up the Magic Kingdom is one of mine.

geoffa
04-22-2006, 03:46 PM
It's not just at Disney - it's the whole world over. People are lazy, thoughtless and just downright bl---y minded. They won't be happy until we are all wading around in 3 feet of trash. London is a disgrace. There's supposed to be a £50 ($80) fine for dropping litter here in the U.K. but is it enforced? Of course it's not. To drop trash at Disney just shows what lack of respect these people have for the place - they should be barred from the parks for life!

Tinkermommy
04-22-2006, 04:16 PM
When the fireworks are over, head for the parking structure and take a look what everybody leaves behind. I can not BELIEVE how many people apparently dump all of their garbage out of their cars onto the ground before driving away...

AliCat
04-22-2006, 05:56 PM
I totally agree! We were there this past week and I had the same comments to my family after we were walking past the castle after the fireworks were over. I can't believe all the trash that was on the ground. It was disgusting and I was amazed at how little respect people have for the happiest place on earth!

wlc
04-22-2006, 09:25 PM
I totally agree! We were there this past week and I had the same comments to my family after we were walking past the castle after the fireworks were over. I can't believe all the trash that was on the ground. It was disgusting and I was amazed at how little respect people have for the happiest place on earth!

How do other people feel about the people that eat sunflower seeds and discard the shells on the floor? I've seen many.. and I mean, it's a quick-sweep (and not messy or very visible), but how does everyone else view them? (I have my opinion, but dont wanna bias the respomse)

Wesley815
04-23-2006, 08:35 AM
It's also amazing to watch how fast it's all cleaned up right after the crowd clears out. I notice that a lot just after Fantasmic ends, each section is cleared of guests and quickly cleaned within a few min, ready for the next show.

It's the same idiots who eat fast food and set their bags just outside the door of their car ON THE GROUND in the parking lot, instead of getting off their lazy fat you-know-what and walk two steps to the trash can. :mad: Heck, some places even have trash cans setup to throw stuff away FROM your car without getting out!

Oh well, I know it'll never change... as others have said, it seems to go back to that selfish, self-centered attitude "well I paid to be here so I can do *whatever* I want!". :rolleyes:

stan4d_steph
04-23-2006, 09:04 AM
There is a distinct lack of garbage cans in the parking structure. I don't think this is an excuse, as you should just take your garbage with you until you can dispose of it properly. However, I think this is one reason why there is more trash left in the structure.

Drince88
04-23-2006, 10:52 AM
How do other people feel about the people that eat sunflower seeds and discard the shells on the floor? I've seen many.. and I mean, it's a quick-sweep (and not messy or very visible), but how does everyone else view them? (I have my opinion, but dont wanna bias the respomse)
Sunflower seeds shells are garbage, in my opinion, and belong in the garbage cans - not on the ground for someone else to sweep up.

Anything that someone else needs to sweep up (regardless of how quick a sweep it is) should be properly disposed of, IMHO.

SeansMom
04-23-2006, 11:07 AM
Litter in the park is a huge gripe of mine, not just after the fireworks. It's a button, and I admit that if I were in charge, I'd kick their lazy selves out of the park if caught littering. Not probably a reasonable option, but still. I've also been known to tell a youngster to pick up their garbage, or at times just to pick it up myself. I think nothing makes the park look trashier than, well, trash!
I grew up with the same addage as darph nader...pack it in, pack it out. And is there ANYWHERE in DL/DCA where there isn't a trash can within a few feet???

experiment626
04-23-2006, 12:19 PM
This also happens at the movies, concerts, sporting events and many other places. It's gross.

hbquikcomjamesl
04-23-2006, 12:45 PM
How do other people feel about the people that eat sunflower seeds and discard the shells on the floor? I've seen many.. and I mean, it's a quick-sweep (and not messy or very visible), but how does everyone else view them? (I have my opinion, but dont wanna bias the respomse)Actually, sunflower hulls aren't always "a quick-sweep." You haven't lived until you've worked in an ice rink, and had to sweep soggy sunflower hulls off a wet rubber floor. It was so utterly disgusting that during my tour of duty at the late, lamented Costa Mesa Ice Chalet, I got management to issue an order to the vending machine company: absolutely NO sunflower seeds in-shell; either sell only pre-shelled kernels, or don't sell them at all. There was an immediate drop in the number of sunflower hulls on the floor, and to the day the place was torn down (not much more than a year after I'd quit, if that), I don't think the order was ever rescinded.

Another pet peeve I have with littering is at the Grocery: I absolutely despise the idea of people abandoning their carts in the middle of prime parking spaces, or (worse) in traffic lanes. Those corrals are out there for a reason, and it's NOT just to make life easier for the people they send out to collect the carts: it's to make life easier for people trying to park their cars, too!

As to Disneyland, I doubt that there's more than half a percent of the total ground surface where a guest might possibly set foot, that's not within eyeshot of at least one of Walt's signature covered garbage receptacles, and most of the time, you can stand right next to one, and see at least one more. And there are only a handful of designs that aren't clearly marked with "Waste, please," or some other phrase that indicates what they are. So there's no excuse for not using them!

AztecWolverine
04-29-2006, 04:08 AM
Once I was disgusted to see a lady throw a couple bags of trash out her window in a parking lot. Five minutes later we were stuck behind her in stalled traffic, and I actually jumped out of my car, approached her open window, and let her know what I thought of her actions! (we don't often get that kind of oportunity, do we?) hee, hee.... She looked shocked that I'd do such a thing, but defiantly defended herself by saying that it was her son who cleans the parking lot every night! Well, what about the hundreds of people who get to see the trash in the mean time? And should I even have believed her?

What does everyone think about leaving trash in a movie theater though? I just thought it was rather a tradition to leave your trash there since otherwise you'd have to keep it in your lap, or pick it up later when it might be rather scuzzy by then (with spilled soda, gum, etc.)......

bradk
04-29-2006, 04:30 AM
I saw a woman take her empty cup and throw it into the bushes at Conservation Station in Animal Kingdom of all places. And a CM was present to boot.

ralfrick
04-29-2006, 08:58 AM
What's really discouraging is some don't even understand why it's bothersome. I was outside my apartment years ago when the guy showed up delivering our pizza. As he made a u-turn to park, a fast food bag and other assorted debris flew out of his window.I said "while I go inside to get the money, would you please clean that up?" He didn't. I called to complain, and at no time indicated I thought he should be fired, but he was. He then comes back to ask me to call and help him get his job back. Hey, I'm sympathetic, and probably would have if he'd given me something, anything to work with. He didn't even have the sense to make something up like sorry, my girlfriend dumped me, my mom just died, nothing. Thoughout it all, at no time was he even able to grasp the simple concept of I live here, and don't want garbage in the street. He honestly, truly did not understand why anyone would have a problem. People, sheesh.

Cheers.

momuvseven
04-29-2006, 08:58 AM
We take our trash with us in the movie theater. Developed this habit during military life where it is expected that you will take your trash to the trash can on your way out of the theater. Haven't been able to break this good habit and expect the same of my children. My kids put trash in their pockets until they can find a trash can and if I should catch them dropping anything on the ground at any time any place they are marched back to the spot to clean it up and anything else nearby just in case it might have been dropped by them.

honeymoon @disney
04-29-2006, 11:08 AM
How do other people feel about the people that eat sunflower seeds and discard the shells on the floor? I've seen many.. and I mean, it's a quick-sweep (and not messy or very visible), but how does everyone else view them?

Oh, this is a huge pet peeve of mine! My best friend is a huge sunflower seed addict and is constantly spitting them out anywhere! I eventually gave him an old Pringles chip container to spit them out into as it was convenient and had a lid... ironically enough he now collects the containers he's filled. A beautiful display of chewed up seeds on his desk... not exactly what I had intended, but at least they're off the ground.

Once I was disgusted to see a lady throw a couple bags of trash out her window in a parking lot... [she] defiantly defended herself by saying that it was her son who cleans the parking lot every night!

Wow, whats going on here? Is anyone else 'messier' than usual at a place that your friend or relative works? I find its the opposite... why would I make a mess knowing that someone I love is going to have to clean it up??? Sounds like littering wasn't this woman's biggest issue :rolleyes:

Wendi
04-29-2006, 02:12 PM
I carry my trash out and throw it in the garbage at Disneyland and in a movie theater. One of the things that is so disappointing about it is that so many of these people are with their children... setting an example. Ugghhh...

leota's necklace
04-30-2006, 04:16 PM
What does everyone think about leaving trash in a movie theater though? I just thought it was rather a tradition to leave your trash there since otherwise you'd have to keep it in your lap, or pick it up later when it might be rather scuzzy by then (with spilled soda, gum, etc.)......

Nope. It was good enough to be in your lap when it was full of popcorn, you can deal with it empty for an hour. Or set it by your feet, to pick it up later to throw out. It's not going to have vines growing up the sides by the time you leave, I promise. You might noticed large bins marked "trash" near the theatre exits...that's what those are for. The mystery is solved! ;)