PDA

View Full Version : Space Mtn Closed!

Pages : [1] 2

no1here
04-18-2002, 11:18 AM
Yesterday morning apparently a stress fracture was found along the supports for the track. It looks like the ride might be closed for awhile

Ghoulish Delight
04-18-2002, 11:25 AM
Well, good news bad news I guess. Bad news that's it'll be closed, but good news on 2 levels. One, they found the fracture BEFORE anything happened (yay!). And two, once they repair it this may give them an opportunity to move the schedule up for rolling getting the new rockets out. Wouldn't that be nice? Something getting done AHEAD of schedule? Nah, who am I kidding?

hawaiimouse
04-18-2002, 11:52 AM
OH NO!:( I'm going to be there in a month (well, 25 days, but who's counting) and that's the third mountain that's going to be down....arrgghh...maybe I can relax in IASM...arrgghh...that one's down too....guess I'll shop more and ride less.. :rolleyes:

zapppop
04-18-2002, 02:58 PM
Originally posted by Ghoulish Delight
...once they repair it this may give them an opportunity to move the schedule up for rolling getting the new rockets out.
That's what I'm thinking. I'm going nuts riding without sound. I keep bringing my portable CD player and Disneyland CD to make up for it.

LuvDisney
04-18-2002, 03:13 PM
Do you think this will effect its opening for the summer?:eek:

zapppop
04-18-2002, 03:14 PM
No. It will probably be closed for 1 month tops ( I suspect ).

Matterhorn Fan
04-18-2002, 05:15 PM
Originally posted by zapppop
No. It will probably be closed for 1 month tops ( I suspect ). Nooooooooo! 1 month is exactly how long until my next visit. It was closed the last time I was there, too. :(

MonorailMan
04-18-2002, 06:22 PM
I'm just glad they found the fracture before a lawsuit. Any clue on where it was? Also, I hope the new rockets come in. :cool:

zapppop
04-18-2002, 06:29 PM
hmm...perhaps there was no fracture and they just made up the excuse to slip the new rockets in ?

Matterhorn Fan
04-18-2002, 06:31 PM
zapppop, that's probably wishful thinking, but I like that explanation a lot.

tabacco
04-18-2002, 06:36 PM
well, assuming it is a real fracture (although I'd love for it to be just a flimsy excuse to install the new rockets! ;)), they'll probably have to remove a track segement or two to fix it, which means they won't be able to do much in the way of testing the new rockets.

Not Afraid
04-18-2002, 09:49 PM
OK, I was at the park today and ran into Uncle Dick on TSI. We both left at the same time so he could go use the Fastpass he had for Space. This was around 5:30. I know it was running earlier because UD said the wait was 30 mins. So it was definitely running today.

Confirmation, please, UD.

Where's UD when you need him????

bluepearl
04-18-2002, 10:47 PM
I was at the park today and rode Space at 5:30PM as well. It seemed to be running fine to me. :shrug:

I have yet to meet the mysterious Uncle Dick! I keep looking out for you on the trams or around parking, but I imagine there is more than one person with the same name working there! You'll have to make the search easier for me and come say hi to me while I'm on duty! ;)

9oldmen
04-18-2002, 11:02 PM
Wouldn't that be nice, something getting done ahead of schedule?
The last time something got done ahead of schedule was the opening of DCA.

Uncle Dick
04-18-2002, 11:06 PM
I rode Space Mountain around 5:40 and it was alllllllllll good. Even got a front row seat. :)

And bluepearl, I'll probably pop up when you least expect it..... :D Or you could just stake out the Hyperion. I'm never far away from there. ;)

hawaiimouse
04-19-2002, 02:21 AM
Hooray!
Hopefully, enough pixie dust got spread around to keep it going till next month. :) It was down the last time I was there too.

bluepearl
04-19-2002, 11:30 AM
Uncle Dick: I do stake out the Hyperion....well, the outside of the Hyperion for another reason. ;) I rarely go inside now, because I don't ever have the time to see Blast or my friends don't go!

Oh, and ditto on Space seeming fine. Nothing out of the ordinary. However, our Pirates ride yesterday was questionable.

awinner
04-19-2002, 11:44 AM
I will be at the park in 3 hours(4pm) today...don't think I am not going to see the 2 showings of blast and get on SM at least twice

lilblckrncloud
04-19-2002, 12:17 PM
Originally posted by bluepearl
However, our Pirates ride yesterday was questionable.
Do tell! What happened on Pirates? :(

Ace
04-19-2002, 09:10 PM
I'll bet anyone money that there will still be a lawsuit for someone who rode in the previous week, demanding compenstaion since Disney put him/her in a life-threatening situation.

Nigel2
04-19-2002, 09:40 PM
Only if they can actually prove that there was a stress fracture to the tracks.

bluepearl
04-20-2002, 02:10 AM
Originally posted by lilblckrncloud

Do tell! What happened on Pirates? :(

Well, at the end of the ride, when we were going up there was a lot more grumbling than usual underneath the boat; it sounded like it was having a seriously hard time going up that hill. To make it worse, when we hit the peak, we got stuck there for a few minutes. I was seriously afraid that the boat would start falling backwards! I was telling my friend that I was just about ready to jump out to the side because I didn't like the way it stalled there, after sounding like it had a hard time going up.

SoCalDisneyLover
04-20-2002, 10:19 AM
Space Mountain was open on Friday night. I went on it at about 8:30, and the track was intact so far as I could tell. It was kind of dark though. :-)

Believe
04-20-2002, 02:55 PM
Hey Blue Pearl,

Dont worry about Pirates, ALL log flume boats are fitted with a NO GO BACKWARDS (thats what they were called here) on all lift chains and boats, so if the power cut out and the lift chain snaped your boat would still remain in the same spot case the boat can only go forwards.

As for the sounds under the boat, thats normal. Some times they cant allways get a good pick up from the chain.

Well thats what i know about Water rides, dont know if Pirates has the same set up.

Welll Have a Disney day now.....:D

LIMANDL4EVA
04-21-2002, 08:51 PM
space was open sun all day also
again, a bit dark:D