PDA

View Full Version : Birthday Dinner Suggestions for a 9 Year Old Boy?

tgsapo
04-20-2006, 09:21 PM
Does anyone have any suggestions for a reasonably priced dinner at Disneyland for my 9 year old son and the family? I was hoping someplace might have some sort of birthday cake or package... Thanks! :)

Dexter
04-20-2006, 09:52 PM
I don't know what time you'd like to have dinner, however, I actually embarrassed a friend of mine by taking them to dinner at Carnation Cafe and asking our waiter for one of the birthday buckets that they sell at the park. They are about 20 bucks and last I saw they had Winnie the Pooh, a Mickey one, and a princess one. It comes with a little personal cake, stickers, a toy and a Birthday pin. The wait staff had the restaraunt all sang happy birthday to him, he was pretty embarrassed, but I'm thinking your son would love it. You can get the buckets at any sit down service restaraunt, you may be able to get them at the buffeteria style places like Plaza Inn but I don't know for sure. I think if you ask at Blue Ribbon Bakery (they're on display there) you can get an idea on where to get them.

I can't really suggest Goofy's Kitchen because it's quite pricey, last time we had a meal there it was 29 something per adult. The character meals are generally in the morning.

Carnation Cafe has some odd operating hours so you may have to eat dinner there earlier because I want to say they close at 8PM. But I know you can get the buckets there and have the staff and probably the whole restaraunt sing to him.

MsYumiBr
04-21-2006, 06:13 AM
Last I saw they were refurbing it. Did it open up again?

snowsbeau
04-21-2006, 06:51 AM
"Reasonably priced" is an interesting term to use when it comes to Disneyland and food. You should be aware that something as simple as a Hamburger and fries runs about $8.
The Plaza Inn offers a birthday package with Patty Cakes and a visit from Mickey and Minnie. Everyone in your party gets a Mickey cupcake that you can frost and decorate as you wish. But the meal is separate. Most of the other in park restaurants offer the birthday bucket. It is about $20.
The hotels are nice to have a birthday at. They offer character interaction, especially Goofy's Kitchen at the Disneyland Hotel. They are a lot of fun for everyone. The only draw back is that they are expensive. Whether it is for lunch or dinner. They will sometimes give the birthday person a Birthday Bucket. We celebrated there last year for my nephews 10th and they actually gave us two! I think that this had a little something to do with him catching Jasmine's eye.
Birthdays can be extra fun at the resort. First off, your at Disneyland! All of the Castmembers and the characters are extra nice to the birthday person. For that fact so are the other guests, especially if the birthday person has a Birthday sticker on. Good luck on whatever you choose to do and have fun!

Dexter
04-21-2006, 07:28 AM
One thing I neglected to mention, make sure you stop by city hall and get him a birthday sticker!

As for Carnation Cafe being down for rehab, I want to say it was open Easter Sunday when I was there, but will check tonight.

SeansMom
04-21-2006, 11:16 AM
For our DS eighth birthday we took him to Rainforest Cafe. I spoke privately to either the waiter or manager, and at the end of the meal they brought out a little cake with a candle (but I don't think they do "candles" anymore due to new fire regulations). Anyway, he loved the whole Rainforest Cafe atmosphere and was surprised by the cake, so it was perfect!

Same trip, the monorail captain made an announcement that it was his birthday. Since the only way they could have known it was his birthday was by the birthday sticker, I'd be sure to pick one up first thing in the morning!