PDA

View Full Version : 4/18 - Photos of the Last Sub being moved into place

Darkbeer
04-18-2006, 11:32 PM
Tuesday afternoon, the last sub, that was being used for testing was moved "backwards" from the area between the new show building and the cavern to the side spur area.

The Sub was moved with five folks with long wooden poles and a couple of small dinghy's to help. It was clearly not on any type of track, since much of the area was trackless, and then the last turn into the side spur was a lot different than following the track underneath it....

http://darkbeer.smugmug.com/gallery/1380277

Enjoy the photos :fez:

Opus1guy
04-19-2006, 12:09 AM
The Sub was moved with five folks with long wooden poles...

Hmmm. Punting on the Thames. ;)

Great photos! Thanks.

04-19-2006, 02:02 AM
Interesting! Thanks, Darkbeer.

geoffa
04-19-2006, 05:12 AM
Very interesting - thanks Darkbeer. Really want to know ow good this ride is going to be after all the claims about the Nemo characters being in the water and so on.

By the way, Opus1guy, there's no punting on the Thames. It's way too deep! Most punting is on the river Cam in Cambridge - the University city.

Ragrobyn
04-19-2006, 05:21 AM
By the way, Opus1guy, there's no punting on the Thames. It's way too deep! Most punting is on the river Cam in Cambridge - the University city.
Unless, of course, you are on a chalk drawing in London ;)

DaddyB
04-19-2006, 05:38 AM
Quick as you can say "Bob's your Uncle"!!!
Thanks for the Mary Poppin's reference to start my day!

junglemom
04-19-2006, 05:58 AM
Thanks as always DarkBeer!

MommyTo3Boys1Girl
04-19-2006, 06:30 AM
Great shots DB. It has been a long time since I have seen one of the subs, forgotten how big (long) they are.

disneyhound
04-19-2006, 07:04 AM
Hmmm. Punting on the Thames. ;)

god blindme mate!

Thanks for the Photos Darkbeer. I am tempted to print out all the sub photos, staple them together along the edge, and "flip-thru to animate the motion... All the while blowing through a straw in my cup of milk to add sound effects...

geoffa
04-19-2006, 07:24 AM
Unless, of course, you are on a chalk drawing in London ;)

Ah! ha! you have me there!:)

Opus1guy
04-19-2006, 10:06 AM

Go on! They still punt on the river Thames! I've done it myself!. :)

Also From Wikipedia:

Punting is a popular leisure activity on the rivers of several well-known tourist destinations: there are commercial organizations that offer punts for hire on the Avon in Bath, the Cam in Cambridge, the Cherwell & Isis* in Oxford, at Stratford-on-Avon, and on the lower Thames near Sunbury. A small number of private punts are also registered on these rivers, especially by the colleges in Oxford and Cambridge.

*The "Isis" is simply the local name for the Thames as it passes through Oxford. But even those locals always say "punting on the Thames" when referring to punts there.

See also:

http://hawkeye.weblogs.us/wp-content/plugins/falbum/falbum-wp.php?tags=oxford&page=1&photo=22210783

http://pictures.nicolas.delerue.org/england/20050611_Oxford_rowing_regatta/rowing_regatta_thames_oxford_3918.html (mix of rowing and punting on the Thames)

But my use of it was meant mainly as a Mary Poppins quote/reference. :)

BTW, for you Poppins fans...I've also been to Admiral Boom's house. Yes, there is actually a real nautically themed house in England that P.L. Travers based Admiral Boom's house on. And the eccentric owner really did fire cannon from the roof and is the person P.L. Travers based the character Admiral Boom" on! It's in Hampstead (near Hampstead Heath) just on the outskirts of London and easily reached by the Underground. Built in the late 1700's by a Lieutenant in the British Navy. He built his roof as the entire quarterdeck of a ship with masts and all. He would fire the canon on Royal birthdays. What a hoot it is to see! :)

Even though he was a Lieutenant when he built the house, the little street it's on is called "Admiral's Way." So I don't know if he eventually became an Admiral or if the street was coincidently already called that (I doubt it), or if they renamed the street after the popularity of the Poppins books or what. But the real Admiral Boom's house is on Admiral's Way. Not Cherry Tree Lane. :)

Opus1guy
04-19-2006, 06:11 PM
Adding that I just discovered that Admiral Boom's house in Hampstead is currently owned by "Master and Commander" actor, Russell Crowe!

Ishn't dat vierd?

:)

BQ2
04-19-2006, 08:51 PM
Nice pics. 8 little subs all in a row :)