PDA

View Full Version : Sleeping Beauty Castle and the Crowns

Pages : [1] 2

Mickey
04-17-2006, 05:08 AM
Ok the 5 Crowns on Sleeping Beauty castle look nice, and we all now they will not be there forever.
But I heard some comments that people like the castle without the crowns.

How do you prefer the castle with or without the crowns?

RStar
04-17-2006, 05:47 AM
While the castle looks wonderfull all spruced up, it's not the original this way. It's nice to see now, but I'd like to see it go back eventually. Does that make since?

~Bob

hlbtimes2
04-17-2006, 07:46 AM
It looks nice, but I ready to for the crowns to go away.

amarvel
04-17-2006, 08:30 AM
While i was there last week we had this very discussion, at first i thought i would want it to go back to the original, i thought this castle looked a bit too spruced up, but i really have gotten use to the crowns and this brighter castle, and i started to wonder if it might look plain when they restore it, i really can't decide. I will love the castle no matter what :)

twist1980
04-17-2006, 09:04 AM
I think the crowns are great and the castle looks beautiful, but I love the original. Walt made it the way he wanted it so thats how I like it best! :p

Tinkermommy
04-17-2006, 09:34 AM
Looks like I'm in the minority (so far), but I really like the crowns and hope that they stay up!

I was looking at a picture last weekend of the castle without them...and it looked so plain to me. I realize that's the original look...but heck, have ya seen what Mickey looked like in 1955? :eek:

DisneyMa
04-17-2006, 10:03 AM
I have to agree with Tinkermommy on both the Castle and Mickey Mouse.

I Loved the Castle before however, I Love it even more with the crowns. I would like to see them stay. :)

Opus1guy
04-17-2006, 10:18 AM
I think it makes the castle look cheap and gaudy. It's a Vegas castle right now. Can't wait for Walt's classy and classic castle to come back.

Worse that that though IMHO, are those awful cheap looking 50th contraptions they've attached to the streetlights on Main Street. They look like those lamps that were popular in the 60's that had dozens of strings that dripped hot oil down them.

mcow1
04-17-2006, 11:02 AM
I can't wait for the crowns to be gone. Between that and the bright colors IMO it looks very tacky.

Osky
04-17-2006, 11:25 AM
They look like those lamps that were popular in the 60's that had dozens of strings that dripped hot oil down them.
Like the one that was in Monsanto's Adventures Through InnerSpace? Maybe they look like that to pay homage... ;)

I want the original castle back, but they need to repair the dent they made when they added one of the crowns. The crown is hiding it now.

screamin4ever
04-17-2006, 06:41 PM
Apparently I'm old. This is NOT the first time the castle has been painted brightly. It happened around 1986 last time and the paint faded. So all you young'ins that don't remember, this is nothing new. And bright is better than drab gray which is what it was when I was a young'in.

I do hope the crowns stay. Take away the gold cloth draped in the front, but the gold metalwork makes it different than Hong Kong's. And the glitter paint can stay too. So much more interesting.

When a park turns 50 there should be some permanent change to mark the occasion. At least in my world I think it should be.

Random Person
04-17-2006, 07:26 PM
i think it looked a little bit dull before it got painted. it has a more magical, almost cartoonish feel now (not in a bad way). but i do think they should take at least some of the stuff down when the 50th is over- its a one time thing, it should be special. i think the crowns should go, as well as the gold banners and stuff, but i like the brighter paint and how the top things (i forget what they are called) are a shiny blue. that should definitely stay.

tod
04-17-2006, 07:39 PM
To: Cast Member Matt
Re: Post-anniversary Castle rehab
Lose the crowns. Lose the gold frou-frou. Lose the gold railing around the front. As long as you have the castle tarped, paint it again, because you never know when you'll get another chance. You may want to use more-subdued colors, you may want to get intense again after a year of sun exposure.

--t

Another Dimension
04-17-2006, 08:00 PM
When a park turns 50 there should be some permanent change to mark the occasion. At least in my world I think it should be.

I agree with that sentiment. 50 is a definite milestone.. some special parts of Disneyland, here & there, and here & there... should permanently reflect this awesome and once in a lifetime golden occasion. :)

Disney Vault
04-17-2006, 10:29 PM
I love the crowns for the 50th but will be ready for them to leave after the celebration.

Family5LovesDisney
04-18-2006, 03:30 AM
I like the crowns. A true castle should have a bit of glitz! Isn't that what fantasy is all about? But take down the gold fabric like a few of your already mentioned.

Mickeymac
04-18-2006, 03:57 AM
Bright colors? Did anyone make it over to WDW for it's 25th birthday castle monstrosity? :D

Family5LovesDisney
04-18-2006, 04:09 AM
Bright colors? Did anyone make it over to WDW for it's 25th birthday castle monstrosity? :D I did. The pictures I took still scare me. I hide them on myself so I won't have nightmares! YIKES! :eek:

Mickeymac
04-18-2006, 05:04 AM
LOLOL!!!

We have a photo in our living room of us in front of the Castle. No one believes it was taken at Disney World. :D

Family5LovesDisney
04-18-2006, 09:53 AM
LOLOL!!!

We have a photo in our living room of us in front of the Castle. No one believes it was taken at Disney World. :D

They did so many other things that were pretty cool..........that was just plain old NASTY! It was my husband's very FIRST time ever to Disneyworld. Boy was he disappointed! On a good note, it made him much more willing to take us back after they took the "cake frosting" away. From then on, he became "Hooked on Disney!"

Osky
04-18-2006, 10:03 AM
Bright colors? Did anyone make it over to WDW for it's 25th birthday castle monstrosity? :D

Cake Castle (http://members3.clubphoto.com/_cgi-bin/members/compact_slide_show.pl?album_item_id=1602158%27,%20 %27520%27,%20%27600%27)

Family5LovesDisney
04-18-2006, 10:15 AM
Cake Castle (http://members3.clubphoto.com/_cgi-bin/members/compact_slide_show.pl?album_item_id=1602158%27,%20 %27520%27,%20%27600%27) Oh my gosh! I forgot how bright and nasty that was! OH DEAR! Great for a few laughs! :p

Another Dimension
04-18-2006, 11:18 AM

It was really Pepto-ed!!

Which to this day.. I still do not understand!
Master of Colors John Hench said he did the colors and concepts on that anniversary castle overlay.. WHAT HAPPENED?!!? :confused:

Pinkest. Cake. Ever. :|

Family5LovesDisney
04-18-2006, 12:22 PM
It was really Pepto-ed!!

Which to this day.. I still do not understand!
Master of Colors John Hench said he did the colors and concepts on that anniversary castle overlay.. WHAT HAPPENED?!!? :confused:

Pinkest. Cake. Ever. :| He must have had a little too much pink champagne during the birthday celebration. Or he rode "Alice in Wonderland" too many times and thought he would do a little Lewis Carroll!

Opus1guy
04-18-2006, 12:49 PM
Re: PeptoCastle: Some marketing weasels got ahold of the project...that's what happened. Marketing was running the show back in those days and they were flexing their uneducated-in-Disney-ways muscle all over the place, unfortunately. I firmly believe it was an ego trip for many of them (and some other top Disney execs) to play with many park icons simply because they could. "Look at me! I changed the Disney castle!" :( Any scheme no matter how hair-brained, was given a chance of green-lighting. Remnants of some of these short-sighted decisions can still be found all over the parks. :(