PDA

View Full Version : Ramada Maingate Opinions

pacdomer
04-16-2006, 06:00 PM
I decided this week to run the Disneyland 5K in September. I have been to Disneyland only twice before (I'm an East Coaster who usually visits WDW) and both times I have stayed at a Disney owned hotel.

As soon as I signed up for the race, I looked for a Disney hotel to stay at, but they are all sold out for race weekend. So the new experience for me will be staying off site. I have a reservation for the Ramada Maingate. Has anyone stayed there lately? How is the property? How far and convenient is the walk to the parks?

Any other suggestions for somewhere within walking distance and inexpensive?

Thanks for the help.

SoCalCoopers
04-16-2006, 09:55 PM
My family and I stayed at the Maingate in 2002. It's been a while. But what I do remember is that we stayed in a basic, reasonably priced room, with comfortable beds. Nothing fancy, but it was fine for my husband, son, and myself. The walk to DLR was super quick... seems to be closer than HoJo's, but i could be wrong. We liked the continental breakfast. I don't know about you, but I like the idea of grabbing a few breakfast items to start the morning off quickly-- after all, you're there for DL!!! :) One thing I didn't like: bedroom windows near open walkways... those always bother me.

pacdomer
04-17-2006, 07:43 PM
Thanks for the feedback SoCalCoopers. I wanted to make sure that I didn't end up in a hotel room with bugs or rodents. Sounds like the maingate will be my best choice within walking distance.

Thanks again.

stan4d_steph
04-18-2006, 05:51 AM
Check out our user reviews on the MousePlanet review database (click on User Reviews link under the MousePlanet logo). Here's a link to the listings for the Ramada hotels near DL (http://www.mouseplanet.com/cgi/reviews/do/search.cgi).

The non-Disney hotels that get the most praise around here are Candy Cane Inn and Howard Johnsons (HoJos). I like the Park Inn.

Stitch Lover
04-18-2006, 12:00 PM
hello. i personally don't recommend this hotel. my mom and i stayed there for a few nights in Dec. 2004 and we didn't like it. the room was small, the "continental breakfast" was a joke! just a few different breads and few fruits and coffee and juice. i have seen better. we thought the hotel looked nice online when we saw pictures of it, but we didn't end up likeing it. we don't want to stay there again. but this was just our experience.

TTFN92
04-18-2006, 02:33 PM
I would not stay there. We did last summer and had a horrible experience. The towels had holes in them and one of them had blood stains on it. Never again will we stay there.

Across the street we have stayed at the Tropicanna and Desert Inn. Tropicanna was nice but the rooms are small and beds are like a rock. Desert Inn was nice, a little bigger rooms, nothing fancy, but the beds weren't quite as hard as Tropicanna. I love the Annabella. Our room was great, the bed was just like ours at home, and the pool area is very nice. I know others on this board that didn't have good experiences, but we would definitely go back. It is just a further walk so not too good with little kids. We went with 2 other couples when we stayed there and their rooms were really nice too, no complaints from them and my parents stayed there this spring break and had a great experience.

Oh, we also stayed at the Desert Palm and it was nice too.

Stitch Lover
04-18-2006, 02:50 PM
i also have stayed at the Tropicanna. i stayed there the last time i went; Dec. 2005. i liked it just fine. i thought it was a nice hotel. i don't remember the beds being like a rock....but, i am not the picky with my beds. good experience with that hotel. i would stay there again.

PirateSmile
04-18-2006, 08:20 PM
Convenient. Not great, not terrible. Staff is friendly, lots of convenience stores on it's property. The rooms aren't cute, but if you're just looking for a place to sleep it's good. Can't beat location. I think I would rec Carousel over Ramada Maingate, though.

Quinten27
04-19-2006, 04:40 PM
I just stayed at the Ramada Maingate for a week last month and was very happy with it. The continental breakfast was decent.......no hot foods, but a good selection of muffins/danishes and cold cereal. It is indeed within a short walk of the maingate. We had our room upgraded to a one bedroom suite for an extra $10 per night, the room wasn't huge, but it was big enough for the 4 of us and even had a little kitchenette area complete with dishes.

I'd give it my recommendation. :)