PDA

View Full Version : Potential new hires- don't!

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

Saki
04-15-2006, 03:56 PM
To all potential new hires at Disneyland or DCA,
Under the new contract(which I voted NO but it passed anyways) ALL YOU WILL BE ABLE TO TOP OUT AT IS TEN DOLLARS AN HOUR AFTER FIVE YEARS! THAT MEANS THAT IN 2011 UNTIL THE WORLD ENDS ALL YOU WILL BE TOPPED OUT AS IS TEN DOLLARS AN HOUR! This applies to Custodial, Attractions, Merchandise, Ticket Takers, Seamstress, Costuming and probably other departments!
Just wanted to warn you! If you don't believe me, get a copy of the current contract and you will see for yourself!
--Saki. --John 3:16.

chrisaustx
04-15-2006, 04:29 PM
I am a shareholder of the Walt Disney Company, and I am very disappointed with the union contract which was approved. The employees at Disneyland need a living wage and the park managers should not be going to the Cal Works and Salvation Army offices to find workers. I interacted with a cast member playing a role in Fantasyland last month, the guy could barely speak English and did a bad job at his role (no he was not an immigrant or disabled). I believe that Disneyland should have the finest employees in Orange County, and should pay a fair and decent wage to attract the brightest employees. You have a shareholder behind you on this issue, when the next shareholder meeting happens next year, I hope the low wages issue is brought up.

Omnitographer
04-15-2006, 04:38 PM
Under the new contract(which I voted NO but it passed anyways) ALL YOU WILL BE ABLE TO TOP OUT AT IS TEN DOLLARS AN HOUR AFTER FIVE YEARS! THAT MEANS THAT IN 2011 UNTIL THE WORLD ENDS ALL YOU WILL BE TOPPED OUT AS IS TEN DOLLARS AN HOUR! This applies to Custodial, Attractions, Merchandise, Ticket Takers, Seamstress, Costuming and probably other departments!
Just wanted to warn you! If you don't believe me, get a copy of the current contract and you will see for yourself!

t3h suck. although i guess if you work there part time as a second job for the joy of it, then this doesnt matter so much. i cant see many people working at that rate full time though, since it would put the supporter of a four person family very near the poverty line. for one person living on their own, its not going to hurt, although you may not enojy many luxuries.

Im curious, does this new contract offer something positive in the short term? for employees who only work for a year or less? i cant see anyone giving up earning power in the long term unless they long term wasnt relevant to them.

Burnt Toast
04-15-2006, 05:41 PM
Oh yay. Hi Peter. I'm glad someone let you out of your hole for the day to come and visit us. :P

Crazy4DL
04-15-2006, 06:25 PM
Oh yay. Hi Peter. I'm glad someone let you out of your hole for the day to come and visit us. :P

:confused:

Skunker
04-15-2006, 06:40 PM
At the risk of stating the obvious - I would like someone "in charge" to explain to me why it now costs a small fortune to visit DL and they are toping out wages at 10.00 an hour? Not to mention the quality issues someone else mentioned. They may just price themselves right out of the Disney magic that good employees supply. Just my 2 cents....

kimmybear
04-15-2006, 11:58 PM

ten an hour actually seems pretty fair to me, but then again, i shlep popcorn around until 3am for only 7 an hour. then they take out taxes. but for food service, ten seems fair. but i also recognize that it doesn't start at ten. i don't live in anaheim, but how does ten an hour fair to minimum wage? is it close or far from it?
all that aside, ten an hour is really not up to par with disney. they charge 50+ for a one day one park ticket, make you buy over priced food and then don't pay their workers enough much?!?!?!? they must have some pretty good benefits going... grr, it's all the workings of "the man"...

Phantom2006
04-16-2006, 12:12 AM
Well put it this way.... Say you work 35 hours a week. (Does Disney give out the normal 40 hours full time? Are anybody full time besides higher mang.?) 35X10=350 Then... X 52 (weeks in a year) = $18,200 (and thats before taxes). Now thats just poor.

ErikBsandiego
04-16-2006, 07:38 AM
Frankly I think Disney would be smart to benchmark its themepark jobs against the wages/benefits paid at starbucks (my understanding, with fringe, it would be about 40% higher than the theme park's current structure). I am ALWAYS amazed about the general positive attitude and customers service I get from the employees at Starbucks and, i think, the opportunity for career advancement and a living wage is a big reason why. This, even though the hours much stink (I hate early AMs)

MermaidHair
04-16-2006, 07:46 AM
Frankly I think Disney would be smart to benchmark its themepark jobs against the wages/benefits paid at starbucks (my understanding, with fringe, it would be about 40% higher than the theme park's current structure).

Just to play devil's advocate (I am for a living wage) Starbucks is a poor comparison as it costs a lot less in overhead to run a coffee shop than a theme park.

screamin4ever
04-16-2006, 07:52 AM
Unfortunately Disney is doing exactly what other big companies do. Profits up, reward the top and keep labor costs down to get more profit to reward the top and...you get the picture.

This is a trend that will end one day when workers in all fields get tired of this. Construction jobs pay less now than in 1962 (taking inflation into account), computer programmers make 14% less than a few years ago due to outsourcing, many companies only care about bottom line and are willing to exploit illegals or outsource to a third world country.

I think we all wish Disney was above this, but they are not. Greed is ruining many things in our world and now it will ruin the Disney magic unless shareholders are made aware of the problem.

darph nader
04-16-2006, 08:10 AM
On CNN Headline News this morning ,on that little ticker across the bottom .A retired exec. from EXXON got a $78,000,000 pay out(i think)+ a $98,000,000 pension! :eek: I don't think i could ever spend that kind of money FAST enough. :rolleyes:

chrisaustx
04-16-2006, 08:44 AM
The average dumpy 1 bedroom apartment in Anaheim costs $1,000 per month, there is no way a cast member making $8 to $10 per hour could even qualify for housing, living by themselves. Its a sad situation, high school students working at In-N-Out Burger make more money than Disneyland Cast Members. The average length of employment of cast members at Disneyland is just 9 months, this is a problem that must be addressed, we don't want to see gang members, recovering drug addicts and people on parole working at Disneyland, because there was nobody else to hire.

nightdesigns
04-16-2006, 09:50 AM
Makes you wonder too.

It's one thing to pay someone $10/hr to make food or clean up "protien spills," but $10/hr to have them controlling a ride that could essentially kill you.

I'd like to think the people running the rides have been there a long time, know what they're doing with years of experience and are paid accordingly, but we all know they aren't.

I, for one, isn't going to put as much effort toward a $10/hr job as a $25/hr job. Why stress yourself out over a few dollars.

Keep in mind too, $10/hr is before taxes, union fees, uniform fees, and whatever else it costs. I make considerably more than that and I'm still broke living here in OC.

potzbie
04-16-2006, 02:21 PM
I, for one, isn't going to put as much effort toward a $10/hr job as a $25/hr job. Why stress yourself out over a few dollars.

This is upsetting to me.

I have NEVER based MY work output on the dollars per hour.
I always do the best job I can.

If I am hired as a telemarketer or as a metallographer, it make no difference.

I cannot imagine myself getting hired to work at Disneyland, and then doing the following:
(a.) showing up late.
(b.) showing up not at all.
(c.) taking extra sick days.
(d.) taking off early.
. . . BECAUSE I decided to not "stress myself out for ten dollars per hour."
And, that I will change when my pay scale is twenty dollars per hour.

If you cannot do the job, then DON'T TAKE THE JOB.

Don't take a job, and then put out zero effort.
That is stealing. That is fraud.--You said you'd work. And you are not working.

What is that all about?

Have you no shame?
Have you no pride?

ChipmunkStar
04-16-2006, 05:28 PM
They're not saying that there's zero effort going into the job itself. I think the main issue is that you can be there for years and years, and still, the highest rate you'll ever get up to is $10 an hour. One dollar more than the kids at In N Out are STARTING at.

If people want to feel safe riding an attraction, wouldn't you feel better knowing that the people in charge of it WANT to be there because there is more to look forward to earning. If the most you'll get is ten dollars and then you'll top out, then obviously people aren't going to be there very long, and thus more attractions will be run by simply less experienced people, upping the chance of an accident or worse.

Omnitographer
04-16-2006, 06:59 PM
can someone get a copy of the new contract? id like to see what was so worth no one ever being able to earn over $10/hr no matter how long they work at the park. I think after 30 years of service, one would be earning more than that.

ToursbabeC3po
04-17-2006, 01:34 AM
No one believed me when months ago I said that Disney's goal was to have a low paying short term worker. People said I was just angry because I was fired.
The top pay on the pay scale is 10 dollars an hour. When I left I was making a little over 12 and I was there for 10 years.
After you get to 10 dollars an hour you get a Cost of living type raise which is normally 3% a year although there are years that they have not given that raise because they use that raise to negotiate contracts. There was ONE year that we got a 4% raise. But it never happened again after the old contract passed (not this last one the one before).
I Believe that young people will go else where for a job like IN and Out or Starbucks that pay better.
I don't believe people should put in less effort because they get paid less but people do not take jobs that are short term seriously. That is why when all the seasonal kids came in during the holidays and summer all the veteran cast members would be very stressed out. We knew there was going to be a lot of call in's and a lot of attitude because the did not care if the were fired there was no incentive for them to want to stay. Whether or not they should of cared is a matter of ethics. I believe that if there was better pay they would fight a lot harder to keep there job and WANT to be there.
It is very dangerous to not have experienced cast members on attractions. People that have worked on rides for a while have an instinct that can not be taught in training. It is learned over time. They know when a child is stressing so bad that they are going to try and get out of there seat so they let the control room know so that they can stop the attraction at the first sign of the crawling out of there seat. They know when the ride is not "Sounding or acting right." So they call maintenance to have it fixed before it breaks down while guest are in it. They know the behaviors of a child that can not handle waiting in a waiting area that is 4 feet from a moving train and stand in front of them so they do not jump into the path of a moving vehicle. They know when a teenager is "tricking" the seatbelt sensor so the can ride without a belt for the thrill of it and make them buckle it all the way.
To a person that has never worked an attraction these little things might not mean anything to you and may not seem of importance but it is the instinct of an EXPERIANCED attractions host/hostest that saves lives.
It has been hit and miss with us the last few trips if we get good service or not. Before we might have one cast member that was unknowledgeable or had an attitude problem per every few visits. Now we are happy if this only happens a few times per trip. We have had one good trip this year that did not have any "glitches" I am fully aware that they are more crowded because of the 50th and short staffed but that should not effect or experience. We don't go to Disneyland for good service. We go for excellent service and it just has not been that way in a while. Like I have said before we will no longer be purchasing season passes. It is just not worth it to spend that kind of money when you are not completely satisfied.

TikiGeek
04-17-2006, 06:52 AM
It's ironic that Walt Disney dreamed up Disneyland because he didn't want to take his girls to a filthy carnival.

Now it's seems that Disneyland may be headed for a work force of migrant workers or "carnies" with the low wages that they are paying. I have a hard time believing that the guest experience will not suffer from this.

Are the benefits good for people that work at Disneyland?

chrisaustx
04-17-2006, 09:48 PM
Disneyland doesn't want to pay benefits to new hires, they want to work them less than the required hours per week to get benefits. If you are full time or work 30 hours per week, you do get benefits. I have seen several Disneyland career fairs first hand, the quality of people they are targeting are: high school kids, people who are low income and Freshmen or Sophomore community college students. The starting pay is $8 per hour, you may have a ride operator only being paid $8 per hour, not $10. I am very unhappy about the employment situation at Disneyland, this is a disaster in the making. Employees using drugs, having emotional or psychological problems, is much higher in the low wage worker group. I used to work for a temporary agency as a staffing manager several years back, even for the traveling circus, we paid temps $11 an hour to work the circus. I am worried about future accidents and incidents involving the $8 an hour cast members Disneyland is finding, it is a troubling situation.

chrisaustx
04-17-2006, 09:53 PM
can someone get a copy of the new contract? id like to see what was so worth no one ever being able to earn over $10/hr no matter how long they work at the park. I think after 30 years of service, one would be earning more than that.

The existing employees received a pay raise and their salary is not capped. Thew new $8 an hour castmembers Disneyland now has authority to bring in are the problem. I know a lady who has been at Disneyland for 25 years, she makes $18 an hour.

ccoogle
04-17-2006, 10:25 PM
Ok.. I for one really understand alot of the concerns expressed here.

I work at Legoland California. You think Disneyland is bad... Legoland starts all new hires at not $8 dollars per hour but... wait for it... $7 per hour.

What sucks more now is that instead of raising the wage they are giving us a one dollar raise for ONE MONTH... during spring break. After that it is back to your lower wage.

If you ask me... that is beyond cruel. Legoland is also going to be going out to a temp agency because they can't hire anyone... imagine why?

ccoogle

TP2000
04-17-2006, 11:40 PM
This has been bugging me in this thread.... Attractions host/hostess jobs start at $8.20 per hour now with this new contract, not $8.00.

And once you hit top rate of $10.00 per hour in four years, you still get your cost of living raises, usually in the 3% to 4% range.

Tenured CM's who worked there more than five years got a bonus of $500 this month, plus an additional $100 for every year worked, up to a maximum of around $2,500. That's a nice little bonus if you ask me.

ToursbabeC3po
04-18-2006, 12:07 AM
The bonus is a one time thing and it was taxed it the 40% range. Many people that thought they would get a bonus did not but I blame them for not reading the contract correctly. Those are the same people that voted for this terrible contract.

A one time bonus is not going to help you survive on $8.20-$10.00 an hour for the rest of your life. Even carnival workers get paid more LOL. That is the funniest thing I have ever heard!

I feel for the Legoland Employees too. A lot of Disney cast members went there for management positions and ended coming back to Disney. I guess Disney is the lesser of two evils.

The best advise I can give to anyone that wants to work for Disney is don't expect to make a career out of it. If you want to work there while you are going to school go for it! But don't expect to get all the days off you want for school unless you only work Fri, Sat, sun and all Holidays. I know so many people that dropped out of school while working for Disney because they were afraid they would loose there job. Get a education don't worry about a job with no future.
For all of those cast members that are still there I commend you for sticking it out. I don't know how you do it everyday.

Phantom2006
04-18-2006, 12:14 AM
Ok.. I for one really understand alot of the concerns expressed here.

I work at Legoland California. You think Disneyland is bad... Legoland starts all new hires at not $8 dollars per hour but... wait for it... $7 per hour.

What sucks more now is that instead of raising the wage they are giving us a one dollar raise for ONE MONTH... during spring break. After that it is back to your lower wage.

If you ask me... that is beyond cruel. Legoland is also going to be going out to a temp agency because they can't hire anyone... imagine why?

ccoogle

I have had many friends that worked at Legoland and they hated it. I applyed there but I did not take the job because they just wanted me for christmas. Everybody I know tells me "you dont want to work at a theme park". But the funny thing is I do. I am moving up to Fullerton in about 1 1/2 - 2 years from now. I am thinking about taking an intern at Disneyland because my major is Comm, when i get to Cal State Fullerton.