PDA

View Full Version : Haunted Mansion Update

snowsbeau
04-13-2006, 10:35 AM
What's up with all of the rumors and stories on the mansion being updated to finally have a full story/plotline? I have trolled the internet and have read some very exciting things.
Let's hear from those of you who are in the know! I love the mansion and any changes or enhancements to it are always welcome.

JookyG
04-13-2006, 10:47 AM
I love the mansion and any changes or enhancements to it are always welcome.

Wow, that's a refreshing viewpoint. I completely agree, but it seems like so often all I hear are shrill voices opposed to changes in classic attractions. Hey, at least these attractions are still around! A few of my favorites (ATIS, MTM, Subs, Skyway) are gone forever.

HM is one of my all-time favorite attractions, of the ones that are still around, but special effects have come a long way since reflections in glass was high-tech. I'm ambivalent on the storyline idea, hoping the Imagineers get it right. But the prospect of improved effects is thrilling! I was commenting to friends on my last visit to DL that the Haunted Mansion desparately needs an update above and beyond the wonderful Nightmare overlay.

MammaSilva
04-13-2006, 11:18 AM
When we were there last weekend a CM we met at on the last day of Pirates before the refurb shared a few things but because I believe that nothing is "in stone" til we see it, I'll just wait to see if what we heard actually happens...but "if" the changes we heard about do happen look for some things to shift locations and some new effects that have been foretold to actually appear in about the next six to eight weeks 'give or take'

MrsPooh
04-13-2006, 11:29 AM
I love HM. Have since I was a kid. I wouldn't care if they added a story line, or changed a few things, that would be fine with me. Updates are always good.

I think the objection I would have is if they made it scary. HM, IMHO, is not a scary ride for the most part. I think it would do a injustice to the ride to make it a regular haunted house. Not that they are planning on it, it is just one change I would hate.

I do worry a bit about the addition of the bloody axe, but if it were done right I would be ok with it.

I guess my viewpoint on it is that it took many years to get Piglet to finally ride HM, I would hate to see him scared away now when it is one of his favorites.

snowsbeau
04-13-2006, 01:01 PM
Everyones comments so far are on this topic are great! I have to admit I can be a mule when it comes to change on certain things Disney but some things do need tweaks occasionally. Walt himself said that Disneyland would never be complete and I would think that this also implied that it would never get old or stale either.
With all of the technology that we have available, attractions like HM and POTC could benefit greatly. I also agree that the HM should not be an all out fright fest. But I don't see anything wrong with a good old fashioned fright here or there either. We certainly spend enough money annually to go and get scared at the movies knowing full well that the goon onthe screen is a actor in a rubber mask and the blood he spills is red coloured Karo syrup.

MrsPooh
04-13-2006, 01:09 PM
snowsbeau, I understand what you are saying about being scared, but on the other hand, I don't see HM as a scary ride. In fact, I really don't see DL as scary at all. Fright stuff seems strange there. But that is IMHO. ;) FWIW, that is! ;)

I think POTC was in serious need of updating. Some of the pirates were starting to look very dated. I hate to see that happen, I am excited that they are sprucing it up. Do I care if they add Johnny Depp? Nope. I thought he was the best part of the movie, so he works for me. And if it is something I don't like, well, I'll just :rolleyes: at it and go on. I'll ignore that bit! ;)

I don't care for the HMH overlay, but it is still fine with me. I think that it is done well, at least.

Change is a good thing IMHO.

Except when they took my America Sings out! :mad:

potzbie
04-13-2006, 09:39 PM
My wish list of Haunted Mansion improvements is very minor.

• I would like the grand ballroom scene to show the dancers in the correct position, i.e., the gentleman's left hand is extended, not the right, and vice versa for the ladies.

• I would also like the dancers to simulate dance movements of human beings, e.g., to have the couples dip, and to hesitate on every other beat, like steps were really being taken left/right, forward/backward.

What would it take to replace a circular base wheel of every couple to an eccentric base wheel, so that every rotation of the wheel has a slow radius and a fast radius per revolution?

Never mind the frozen feet. -- Solve one problem at a time.
:(

aricbell
04-14-2006, 08:44 AM
I think it would be really cool if they added a fog effect coming from under Madam Leota's table and add several CM characthers hiding again or add a Knight suit right by the Grandfather clock to kinda make people jump:geek:

aricbell
04-14-2006, 09:53 AM
hey wasn't there also another recording of madam leotas seyonce? i dont hear it anymore there

chrisaustx
04-14-2006, 10:15 AM
As of 4/12/06, the show elements have been added to the Haunted Mansion, when I was there that day, things had white drapes on them and smelled heavily of glue. Yes new things are coming to the Haunted Mansion, when we will get to see them un covered and in action, I don't know. But go ride the Haunted Mansion and see for yourself the things which are covered up in white drapes.

Mark Mywords
04-14-2006, 11:26 AM
There's a good deal of discussion on other boards due to the fact that a few new (draped) objects have appeared in the HM attic. One of the draped objects looks like it's most likely some sort of portrait. The other, much larger object, is suspiciously shaped like the legendary Hatbox Ghost. There's alot of speculation going on as to what the larger object actually is...

Another Dimension
04-14-2006, 04:15 PM
If anything new coming to the legendary HM is as good as the floating Leota ...which I had read about and seen many pictures of... yet my jaw was still fully dropped the first time I saw it.. then the HM will be even better IMO.

And that's going to take another amazing Imagineering feat to pull it off, and hopefully it will be honorably fitting the legacy of THE Yardstick(tm), when it comes to Haunted House attractions worldwide! :~D

potzbie
04-14-2006, 09:05 PM
Just to cover all the bases . . . .
;)

Ain't we laying down flowers for this one?
I was volunteered onto the Flower Committee.
Oh, to be complete ...

"If they change the floating head of Madame Leota, then ..." (you know the rest!) ...

snowsbeau
04-17-2006, 07:33 AM
I too was surprised and delighted at that floating Leota effect when I first saw it. Even little things like that make such a huge difference. Change can be good if done for the right reason and done well. I spoke to a CM this weekend and the final touches to the "Merry Widow" theme in the mansion should be complete by the last weekend of this month.

Omnitographer
04-17-2006, 05:29 PM
updates are always good. Last time i went on pirates in 02 there was such a loud squeaking of the running pirates that i dont think even gallons of grease would help....

David Koenig
04-25-2006, 07:51 AM
Hey, gang!
Long-time listener, first-time caller.
I don't have the time this week to write a full article for MousePlanet, but did want to get the news out:
This week the Mansion will finally unveil the rumored new show scenes and figures. New scenes tell the story of Constance, a bride who has married--and been suddenly widowed--five times. Decorative elements--including old photographs, furnishings, clothing and other props--tell us a little bit about Constance's five husbands, each coincidentally more wealthy than his predecessor. "Innovative lighting effects" simulate moonlight peeking through the rafters--and also shed some light on the fate of each husband. (None of whom look anything like Johnny Depp.)
David

GrumpyUTboi
04-25-2006, 08:00 AM
After riding HM all my kids stated that they liked HMH much better than the regular HM.

mcow1
04-25-2006, 11:28 AM
Hey, gang!
Long-time listener, first-time caller.
I don't have the time this week to write a full article for MousePlanet, but did want to get the news out:
This week the Mansion will finally unveil the rumored new show scenes and figures. New scenes tell the story of Constance, a bride who has married--and been suddenly widowed--five times. Decorative elements--including old photographs, furnishings, clothing and other props--tell us a little bit about Constance's five husbands, each coincidentally more wealthy than his predecessor. "Innovative lighting effects" simulate moonlight peeking through the rafters--and also shed some light on the fate of each husband. (None of whom look anything like Johnny Depp.)
David

Yay, can't wait to get out and see it next week.

hg0079
04-25-2006, 12:15 PM
Great so HM is now going to me like a Anna Nicole Smith ha ha ha....Oh look kids there is a the bride, "mommy what happened to the daddy?"....Oh she knocked him off because the step daddy had more money..." ha ha ha...too funny

JookyG
04-25-2006, 12:35 PM
Hey, gang!
This week the Mansion will finally unveil the rumored new show scenes and figures.

Yay!!! I'll finally be one of the first people to experience a new or updated attraction! At least within a couple weeks of the unveiling. Seems like I either miss the soft openings by days, or have to wait until everyone else in the world has ridden and written about it.

gimp_boy76
04-25-2006, 01:03 PM
After riding HM all my kids stated that they liked HMH much better than the regular HM.
:eek:Blasphemy!

disneyhound
04-25-2006, 02:01 PM
• I would like the grand ballroom scene to show the dancers in the correct position, i.e., the gentleman's left hand is extended, not the right, and vice versa for the ladies.

• I would also like the dancers to simulate dance movements of human beings, e.g., to have the couples dip, and to hesitate on every other beat, like steps were really being taken left/right, forward/backward. :(

It might be cheaper/simpler to send the dancers to the local Arthur Murray's Dance Studio, that is if they are willing, you know spirits...

Frogberto
04-25-2006, 04:12 PM
Just got off the Haunted Mansion this morning. The bride is there, candle stick in hand, and there is china stacked up, along with at least three sheets (one purple, two white). The puffy album is in the beginning, and says "Our Wedding Album - Ambrose and Constance, 1809". Compared to Sunday, when I rode HM, the piano music playing "hear comes the bride" in creepy off key notes is much louder. Didn't hear any voices or vocal tracks, however.

Another Dimension
04-25-2006, 04:58 PM
Originally Posted by GrumpyUTboi

:eek:Blasphemy!

Free thought and freedom of choice... there is not much that is more American. :cool: