PDA

View Full Version : Disneyland/San Diego Game Plan

DianeM
04-13-2006, 08:33 AM
My husband and I are planning on visiting DL this fall. The last few times we've visited HM has been closed for refurb, so we don't want to miss it next time. We don't care which version we see. He wants to see the 50th fireworks. Since Disney seems to be planning on closing the 50th events early in October, HM will close September 11, and I really don't want to be competing with crowds during the last week of the 50th, it seems we will be travelling the week after Labor Day.

A few questions:

1) How bad should we expect the crowds to be? Will there be a lull after Labor Day, or will it be more like summer crowds?
2) Am I correct in assuming that it would be better to stay in a hotel in San Diego to go to the Zoo, rather than driving their for a day trip from Anaheim?
3) Is it likely that the Electric Parade will be running at this time?
4) What are the chances that Disney will extend the 50th events into October? I'd really rather travel then, if I could.
5) Is it possible to do the tour for premium seats for the fireworks AND then go sit at the preferred seating for Fantasmic?

Thanks in advance.

anniedg
04-13-2006, 12:10 PM
Well, we've done the opposite -- a day trip to DL while staying in SD. It worked fine, but we got up EARLY and stayed late so traffic wasn't a problem and we had a fun, full day at DL. You wouldn't need as much time at the zoo I wouldn't think. I don't think the distance itself is problematic for a day trip, but I'd wonder about the traffic getting out of the LA area. Maybe a local can help?

tinksmommy
04-13-2006, 12:34 PM
ooh - I'm watching this thread for help too! We are going in October (bummer on the 18 month celebration ending at the 16.8 month point...) and are going to do some San Diego activities as well. Currently, we have reservations through WorldMark at their Oceanside facility as a "mid point" of sorts. How crazy am I to make that work? I'm not familiar with the drive from SD to Anaheim but will figure that part out. My DD (8) is an animal freak (wants to be a zoo vet right now - or something working with wild animals) so we will be doing all 3 in SD - Zoo, Wild Animal Park and Sea World. Almost got out of doing SeaWorld but her absolute first animal love is the Polar Bear and they have them there darn it!

Anyway, sorry about the moderate thread jack there...back to waiting for answers to the original question...

mommy-san
04-13-2006, 02:01 PM
We did 3 days DLR and 6 days San diego last fall. The zoo was NUTS... something about kids get in free in October. The tour guides at the zoo and Sea World said that this allows for the schools from Mexico to come visit. Anyhoo, it was insanely busy at both Sea World and the Zoo during the week. We also made it to the Mirimar Air Show... if you like Top Gun, this would be an amazing thing to do. We LOVED San Diego. Disneyland was busy, busy too. Fall break for some CA,AZ schools, and we were there because it was Canadian Thanksgiving. A busy day at Disneyland is still better than ANY day at home!

DianeM
04-13-2006, 02:15 PM
There is another thread going about the drive from San Diego to DL, and they say it's about an hour and a half - or more, depending on traffic. I'm pretty sure we're going to either stay at Anaheim or split the trip into two hotels - I like to be really close to DL when I visit there. I love being able to walk from the hotel to the park.

I'm not at all sure that DL is going to stick to the early October ending date for the 50th anniversary. It just doesn't seem logical - they had HUGE crowds last fall because of the 50th, and I don't see Disney Corp passing up a chance to repeat that. But my husband really wants to see the 50th fireworks (which he passed up last time we were there), and I don't want to risk him missing them, so we travel in september.

ooh - I'm watching this thread for help too! We are going in October (bummer on the 18 month celebration ending at the 16.8 month point...) and are going to do some San Diego activities as well. Currently, we have reservations through WorldMark at their Oceanside facility as a "mid point" of sorts. How crazy am I to make that work? I'm not familiar with the drive from SD to Anaheim but will figure that part out. My DD (8) is an animal freak (wants to be a zoo vet right now - or something working with wild animals) so we will be doing all 3 in SD - Zoo, Wild Animal Park and Sea World. Almost got out of doing SeaWorld but her absolute first animal love is the Polar Bear and they have them there darn it!

Anyway, sorry about the moderate thread jack there...back to waiting for answers to the original question...

operator982003
04-30-2006, 11:56 AM
i love the penguins

mowsluver
04-30-2006, 12:34 PM
I have done it all three ways...stayed in Anaheim-drove to SD...not bad until you get past Oceanside, where the traffic WILL backup. Then it was smooth sailing until right near SD, where it slowed down ALOT but did not stand still.
Easier going staying in SD and driving to Anaheim, though as we got closer it got busy...stayed in Oceanside and the drive to Anaheim was pretty much a piece of cake! Of course it got busy near Anaheim but nothing serious...Oceanside did have a great beach and pier.
If you go to the SD Zoo, take the bus tour! There are alot of stairs and hills and without the tour, we would have missed alot.
Try to get Drew as your tour guide--he is a friend and is AWESOME! Tell him Lou says Hi!
I found the hotels in Oceanside to be as expensive as Anaheim. But it was a beautiful place and i didn't mind the drive...I would say that on a weekday expect the ride from SD to Anaheim to be 1 -1 1/2 hours...
If you want any details, PM me!

mulansgirl
04-30-2006, 11:07 PM
I don't think that it would be a problem to drive down to the zoo in the morning and back again at night. The zoo opens at nine in the morning so you wouldn't have to get up too early. Closing time varies slightly but stays around five to eight. To get from Disney to the zoo is a very nice drive and very easy. Just get on the five and enjoy the ocean view for half of the trip. For a while I was doing this trip at least twice a week and I think the adverage time was about an hour and a half, two and a half at the most. That was while it was raining and there were about seven accidents along the way. No, most califonians can't drive in the rain. :D If you do go to the zoo say hi, I might be the one selling you a ticket.

tinksmommy
06-01-2006, 04:35 PM
OK, I am risking being ignored here but I'm trying to not start a new thread. I've checked all other San Diego threads for any help but found little to guide me. So, I come to you great Mousepad community!!

What kind of time should I allow for the San Diego parks? Are they each all day ventures? We're looking at Sea World, SD Zoo as well as the Wild Animal Park. I'll be travelling with my 2.5 year old son and my 8 y/o daughter who loves all things animals and has plans to be either an animal rescuer or something like that with the WWF or a zoo when she grows up. So, "skipping" parts of the zoo aren't likely an option for us. Anyone have any "touring plans" for San Diego that lists this sort of thing?

DisneyPnces
06-01-2006, 07:56 PM
having been born in San Diego and doing these parks all of the time... I would like to help...

I would say that each park warrants it's own day... If you find that one dosn't take you the whole day, there is a lot to do around them as well.

Like when going to the zoo, take some time to go to Balboa Park, it's right next door and it is beautiful, and the Ruben H Fleet Science Center is awesome for adults and kids alike. Also with the zoo being downtown, you can go around there, or even hop over to Seaport village.

As for Sea World... there is also Mission Beach nearby which is fun to go down too.

As for the Wild Animal Park... while I don't think that this park takes a whole day, it is up in Escondido, so there isn't much around it...

any other questions, I will do my best to help...

Alysse

beaver state rich
06-02-2006, 02:38 PM
Is there a commuter train from the LA area to San Diego? I would be interested in any info on this as well.

zombie pirate
06-02-2006, 02:51 PM
San Diego Zoo to Disneyland, less than 1 1/2 by car, faster using the car pool lane. But after a day at Disneyland would you be to tired to drive back to San Diego?

RikiGB
06-02-2006, 03:12 PM
Is there a commuter train from the LA area to San Diego? I would be interested in any info on this as well.

Yes, Amtrack runs several trains a day. Got to the Amtrack web site to check out dates and times.

markarkaymat
06-02-2006, 03:14 PM
there is a commuter train. amtrak. while I have never used it, I did look it up because I contemplated using it instead of driving. I ended up driving. Drove from San Diego to Disneyland & took a little under 2 hours (the drive is easy if you print out mapquest directions, I drove it for the first time and I was driving solo and I made it no problemo). I left San Diego around 10am. My drive back was at 3 in the morning and again, no problems and under 2 hours.
We went to Disneyland last year right after labor day and found the crowds very bearable. No electric light parade, if you want to see it I suggest getting your first disney day in on Labor day just for that because last year Labor day was the last showing until christmas I believe (well while we were thre it wasn't showing anyway). But from what I have been reading, the 50th has been bringing in much more crowds than usual. So it probably won't be a 'typical' September crowd but nothing like June, July, or august i am sure.
If all you plan to do is the Zoo, I say make the drive rather than staying. I've read that hotels can be quite costly in San Diego and the drive is really bearable. And you'll be going against the brunt of traffic since much more people live in the San Diego area and commute to LA (so I have been told when contemplating the drive).
Can't help with the other questions...

mowsluver
06-02-2006, 05:28 PM
If you stay with the flow of traffic (not speeding) it will take you about 1 1/4 hours to go staright through...I hated staying in San Diego and liked staying in Oceanside or Anaheim...when going from Anaheim to SW, you hit a traffic backlog south of Oceanside, but it goes quickly and when you are through it you wonder why it even happened!
It was well worth the gas/time to stay near DL....

OldDisneyFan
06-02-2006, 06:04 PM
I'll add my experience as a born-and-raised San Diegan: There are polar bears at the zoo, with a new exhibit, in case you want to strengthen your case about Sea World. I echo the importance of taking the bus tour first, then go back to things you want to see up close, or exhibits that aren't covered by the bus. (snakes, monkeys, huge walk-thru bird cages, for example). All three parks warrant a full day IMO. Given the high cost of lodging in San Diego these days, I'd opt for the drive, which isn't really that bad, as others have said. Sounds like a fun trip!