PDA

View Full Version : Why Is Everyone so Lawsuit Happy?

corrinhorn
04-17-2002, 04:09 PM
I was at DCA today, and Deciede to catch Blast and take a ride on Soarin'. In the middle of the ride, there was a jolt, and the "benches" dropped a bit... after the attraction came to an end, we remained up in the air for what must have been 2 minutes while thay manually over-rode the mechinism. the first thing that people started to do was say stuff about how they were really upset, and one guy exclaimed rather loudly that he was, "A Lawyer" which caused more than a few people to laugh (I was not one of them). After we went down, I heard several people talking about suing Disney...

Now I am not Dumb, and I know that they were just letting off steam, but I brought me to thinking, Why does everybody automatically think of suing Disney when the slightest thing goes differently then expected?

Anybody's thoughts on this would be appreciated...

MouseWife
04-17-2002, 04:24 PM
My personal feeling is that people just look for things to sue about. People think of ways to make money all of the time. Unfortunately, some people don't think of working to get that money.

How much of an inconvenience was that really? Anyways, I thought when you went to a theme park that you automatically took responsibility for the fact that sometimes things happen? I mean, somethings can qualify for suing, but COME ON!!

People want compensation for everything.

I never knew that if your popcorn spilled that they have it in their power to give you another one. Such a sad thing when your kids popcorn spills all over. That is a nice touch.

cstephens
04-17-2002, 04:52 PM
Originally posted by corrinhorn
I was at DCA today, and Deciede to catch Blast and take a ride on Soarin'. In the middle of the ride, there was a jolt, and the "benches" dropped a bit... after the attraction came to an end, we remained up in the air for what must have been 2 minutes while thay manually over-rode the mechinism. the first thing that people started to do was say stuff about how they were really upset, and one guy exclaimed rather loudly that he was, "A Lawyer" which caused more than a few people to laugh (I was not one of them).

I think my comment to that would have been something like "And you're willing to admit that in public?"

I agree with MouseWife - too many people want something for nothing, and it something happens, no matter how slight, the mentality is to see what they can get out of it or to put the blame on someone else because they certainly can't be held responsible, even for their own actions.

The lawyer must not have been a very good one - unless he can prove damages, the lawsuit would get thrown out of court.

/cs

Ace
04-17-2002, 05:00 PM
isn't there a whole chapter on people suing disney in Mousetales, and how they almost never win (or settle against Disney)?

LeslieluvMcky
04-17-2002, 09:58 PM
My 4 year old was walking almost completly under that rocket that sprays down water in front of the ride Soaring and he fell and hit his head( it was about 60 degrees that day)...it was hard enough that he got a huge bump. What should I have done, or what does everyone think I should have done?

I talked to a CM at the main gate so they knew what happened and then I wrote a letter online to the resort. They promptly sent me a letter with a phone number for their claims office, which I never called. I just wanted them to know that with it being that cold, the water was not evaporating quickly enough and it was extremly slippery. A couple of weeks after the same thing was happening so now I just make sure my son doesn't walk too close and that he is more cautious. Anyone else slipped or fallen in the parks?

Leslie

horatiodude
04-18-2002, 06:11 AM
In a criminal case, the jury is supposed to be made up of the defendents peers. However, when somebody sues, in most cases it is a jury of the plaintives peers. Thus there is usually a bias for the plaintive who is usually just an ordinary citizen against a big corporation. I think this a travesty that should be changed.

If a doctor is sued for mal practice, what right do 12 people who never went to med school have to decide if a doctor behaved negligently. Shouldn't it be a jury of doctors or other medical profesionals?

If a theme park is sued because of an accident on an attraction, it should be a jury of engineers or other qualified experts to determine if a ride was designed poorly.

This may sound like the Fox Gaurding the Hen House, but it us the consumer who really pays for these law suits in the form of higher prices.

GREGOR
04-18-2002, 06:11 AM
Not sure if this true but it would sure make people think twice about suing. I heard that in the UK the person who is suing is liable for all costs if they lose. Not only his lawyer, but the defendant's lawyer as well as all the court costs. Pretty good incentive not to make frivolous claims especially if it's highly contested by the person/company being sued because it can drag out for months.

corrinhorn
04-18-2002, 06:36 AM
Originally posted by GREGOR
I heard that in the UK the person who is suing is liable for all costs if they lose.

There are some places also here in the U.S. (don't quote me) that also do that I believe. It is a good Idea, but I think that the reason they are hesitant to do it here in places like the U.S. is because if somebody sues a corporation, has a viable case, and loses because of the "high powered corporate attorneys" they could be bankrupt. I still think that it is a good Idea though.

MouseWife
04-18-2002, 06:58 AM
Originally posted by LeslieluvMcky
My 4 year old was walking almost completly under that rocket that sprays down water in front of the ride Soaring and he fell and hit his head( it was about 60 degrees that day)...it was hard enough that he got a huge bump. What should I have done, or what does everyone think I should have done?

I talked to a CM at the main gate so they knew what happened and then I wrote a letter online to the resort. They promptly sent me a letter with a phone number for their claims office, which I never called. I just wanted them to know that with it being that cold, the water was not evaporating quickly enough and it was extremly slippery. A couple of weeks after the same thing was happening so now I just make sure my son doesn't walk too close and that he is more cautious. Anyone else slipped or fallen in the parks?

Leslie

Well, first off, I hope someone gave you ice really quick.

A similar incident happened to me. We were bowling and it was crowded. My son was, well, probably 4 as well, and someone bumped him and he fell and hit his head against this machine that had a bar on it so no one could break into it. It was right next to his eye,1/4 of an inch more and it would have been his eye. The concession stand gave me ice and a towel and it helped. It was a gash. I don't think he needed stiches, and, since there is no scar, I guess not.

Anywho, I made a report with the service desk. I know you are supposed to do this. I also suggested they speak to the vendor of the machine and tell him that the machine is dangerous. Oh, the person I dealt with that evening was nice, helpful.

I went back the next day and total turn around. The person accused me of wanting 'compensation'. That offended me and left me very angry and speechless. He denied that they take accident reports. He said that guy no longer worked there. When I told him that what I wanted was for them to fix the machine so that no one else would be hurt he said they couldn't. I asked for the vendors number and they refused to give it to me.

This was no Ma & Pa place. A Brunswick Lanes, although I guess franchised.

I thought of taking the local news there {when I have gone back, it is the same bar set up} but I decided that I just won't do business with them unless the kids are absolutely dying to go bowling. I would rather get onto the Navy base and bowl with people who aren't motivated by profit.

hefferdude
04-18-2002, 07:08 AM
In one corner, you have the legal beagles thumping management with the safety war drum.
In another corner you have facilities support personell trying hard to keep everything working as best they can. And in another, the CM's who are the front working directly with Mr. and Mrs.
General Q. Public. Sincerest empathy for two out of three. ( uh huh - its a triangle Einstein )
Its as if people are becoming conditioned to almost look for opportunities to sue? Pavlov would be proud. Almost the 11th commandment. " Thou shalt sue. " The mess being created in relation to SM is a prime example. When are people going to grow up and be kids again ?
At least in respect to plain old good mannered fun at DLR ....

There's a oldee but a goodee about God being upset with the Devil
and threatening to sue him. The Devil says Oh yeah ? And where are you
going to find a lawyer ? " ;)

socabch
04-18-2002, 07:30 AM
LeslieluvMcky

I think you did the right thing by reporting it and not screaming you will sue. But since the same thing was happening weeks later they need to be reminded that someone else won't be as nice as you if there is an injury. Do they have a sign up saying slippery area or something like that? If they do then that's minimum they should do. IMO they should put the foam floor under the spray area since it doesn't evaporate in cooler weather. If you file a claim, it is usually so they can take care of doctors bills for you. If you did have any then you may want to do that. I hope your son didn't have too much of a headache. Kids a great that they don't take it near as hard as us adults. They just figure "hey, bumps and cuts are part of being a kid".

I read in the paper once that a parent was suing the city because their child fell off the monkey bars and broke his arm. BTW his arm broke because how he landed on it, not because of the surface underneath.

MouseWife

Sounds like a job for "Tourko Files". Since you live in San Diego I assume you know who I'm talking about. You really might want to call him.

HBTiggerFan
04-18-2002, 05:00 PM
I stepped off the last row of the tram funny, fell and sprained my ankle. It swelled up to the size of a golf ball. First aid came and took my name and number and offered us a wheelchair if we wanted to stay (which we did...long story, involves not disapointing little kids). Did I sue? NO. Did I think of it? NO. Did everyone else who heard what happen ask me if I sued? Yes. Why didn't I sue? It was MY fault!

What ever happened to personal responsiblity?

Originally posted by LeslieluvMcky

Leslie

corrinhorn
04-19-2002, 10:11 AM
Thanks a lot guys, it is nice to see that I am not the only person who doesn't automatically think about suing when something goes wrong...

MouseWife
04-19-2002, 10:36 AM
Originally posted by socabch

MouseWife

Sounds like a job for "Tourko Files". Since you live in San Diego I assume you know who I'm talking about. You really might want to call him. [/B]

That's his name!! I couldn't remember. Ah, usually I am sitting right here about that time, squeezing in some MP time. :)

I almost did drag him down there. I think, with summer coming up, I will go and check it out. It is a big place for kids, that place off of H St. It should be a safe place.

Is there some reason I can't talk directly to the vendor? Legally? I would think he would appreciate it.

But, I still don't personally like to do business with that place.

Ace
04-19-2002, 09:15 PM
In 50 years, everything you do that's not your personal property will require a waiver form, background check, and it will be padded with foam so you can't hurt yourself. McDonalds will have huge signs (like at the entrances to rides) that say things like "Do not eat food when intoxicated, Do not eat when not able to" and so on for about 50 lines so they're covered in any situation. Disney will require straightjackets installed on all rides so no one can possibly move, and even then they will require one CM on every car.