PDA

View Full Version : WDW vs. DL: Which "Magic Kingdom" is superior?

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5

Pony Sugrue
04-17-2002, 03:36 PM
Who has the better "Magic Kingdom"? Disneyland or Walt Disney World?

Now take in mind, that I'm not pitting the entirity of the resorts (i.e. DCA, EPCOT, MGM, or Animal Kingdom) against each other for a battle, just the "Magic Kingdom" portions.

First off, there are differences that are other than geographical:

Florida's MK exclusively has:
"The Hall of Presidents"
"The Country Bear Jamboree" (DL dumped their CBJ)
"Tomorrowland Transit Authority" (WEDWAY Peoplemover)
"Buzz Lightyear"
"Swiss Family Treehouse" (DL themed their tree to "Tarzan")
The new "TIKI ROOM" (DL kept the original version)
"Winnie The Pooh" (DL gets one in 2003)
"Alladin's Magic Carpets"
"Alien Encounter"
"Walt Disney's Carousel of Progress"
and a few other more minor differences.

California's MK exclusively has:
"The Matterhorn"
"Mr. Toad" (WDW "gigged" their Toad)
"Pinnochio"
"Alice in Wonderland"
"Casey Jr."
"Storybook Boats"
"Indiana Jones: Temple of the fobidden Eye"
"Tarzan's Treehouse"
original "Enchanted TIKI ROOM" show
"Roger Rabbit's Car-Toon spin"
"Great Moments with Mr. Lincoln"
and a few other more minor differences.

Notice that I didn't mention "STAR TOURS" at DL's Tomorrowland because WDW has basically the same one at MGM (with a superior exterior I might add) and it's close enough to count. At the same time, I will not take into account the INDIANA JONES SHOW at Florida's "MGM Studios" simply because it is just a stunt show and not worthy of contending with DL's INDIANA JONES ride.

By the way, shame on both parks for ditching the Sky Buckets and their respective "Submarine" Rides... and a special shame on DL's "ROCKET RODS" fiasco (it also ruined WEDWAY and CIRCLEVISON).

IN OTHER WORDS, FOLKS... WHO HAS THE BETTER "MAGIC KINGDOM"?

zapppop
04-17-2002, 03:40 PM
DISNEYLAND

end of discussion.

innerSpaceman
04-17-2002, 04:23 PM
Oh, don't even get me started. Even considering the vast improvements done to Florida's Tomorrowland and the relative improvements done to its Fantasyland - the one, the only, the true magic kingdom - DISNEYLAND - is by far the best.

Let me just touch on a couple of points:
Orlando's Main Street USA is a cartoonish collection of overblown victorian monstrosities. None of these buildings look authentically turn of the century - they look like something out of a Hannah Barbara background drawing. And why does every single building have an American flag fluttering atop? It's a ridulous street with no charm whatsoever.

There is not enough waterfront along the Rivers of America. In Frontierland, you can hardly find a spot where you can get to the riverbank until you are almost all the way to Splash Mtn. And what is that tugboat they have as a paddle wheeler instead of the stately Mark Twain? And why on earth does the miniaturized Haunted Mansion sit atop a hill like a cake decoration instead of allowing guests to walk up to, and inside, the house which is supposed to be where the attraction takes place?

What's with the straight-line sprawl layout throughout the Florida Magic Kingdom? And that castle!!! It's a white elephant that, reportedly, was only made that huge so it could be seen from across the lagoon at the parking lot. The scale of this Magic Kingdom (or, as my friends and I have been calling it ever since it was built, the Tragic Kingdom) is just too overblown. The lagoon itself was a stupid idea, making every guest park and then use some other transportation to get to the Magic Kingdom, but since Disneyland itself duplicated this blunder recently (and without the beauty of the lagoon) we can no longer claim superiority on this front.

Want to know why Liberty Square is such a charming area? That's cause it's the only Land at the Tragic Kingdom that was not a copy. The other lands are all creepy compared to Disneyland. Wish you could have seen Florida's Fantasyland a few years back. To this day, it's still in the old King Arthur style. But they finally got rid of the old-style Dumbo and, to my dismay, also did away with the classicly campy Snow White's Scary Adventures and the hilariously 2-dimensional Mr. Toad.

And until their Tomorrowland rehab (that should have been ours - grrrrrr!), the land was like our future after a nuclear war. Florida's Space Mountain, on the other hand, is a stand-out ride cause, hey, it's the original. But DisneyWorld sure cheaped out on Pirates of the Caribbean, and generally the Tragic Kingdom is a pale imitation of Disneyland.

corrinhorn
04-17-2002, 04:26 PM
Disneyland gotta be

Iceman
04-17-2002, 04:52 PM
Well, post this question in the Disneyland forum and you have to expect the answers you've been getting. Still, I'm a little surprised at the vehemence (jealousy? anger?) in some of the replies.

I went to the Magic Kingdom for 21 years before ever setting foot in Disneyland. I was scared to go to Disneyland, because I thought it would be old and small and no match for the place where I had so many wonderful memories. Boy, was I wrong! Overall, I like the Disneyland version better. The layout seems more logical, of course there's Indy, but the biggest factor was intangible--the knowledge that I was walking around the original.

That being said, I still adore the Magic Kingdom. Separating the parking from the park was a stroke of genius. The castle is magnificent, and I don't share innerSpaceman's hatred for retreaded attractions. A monorail that actually takes you places is nice, and there's something inherently magical about a place called the Magic Kingdom.

So in my estimation, neither park is superior to the other. They both have their place, and their charm, and their uniqueness. I can say the same for Tokyo Disneyland and would imagine the same is true of Disneyland Paris and will be of Hong Kong Disneyland. We should all feel blessed that we can visit such wonderful places, wherever they are!

Ace
04-17-2002, 04:58 PM
I'd have to say DL, even though I haven't been to WDW. It's the only one Walt was truly involved with, so...

Not Afraid
04-17-2002, 05:00 PM
The one, the only, the original, Walt's park.......

Disneyland

It wins on charm and history alone.

Uncle Dick
04-17-2002, 06:21 PM
Disneyland

Virtually every attraction that's duplicated at both parks, is done better at Disneyland.

And the Matterhorn and Indy, two of my favorite attractions at Disneyland, are nowhere to be found at the MK.

Gemini Cricket
04-17-2002, 07:14 PM
Overall, I have to say Disneyland.

However, I do prefer MK's Splash Mtn (it's just a lot brighter inside, much more happy. I also like the side by side seating...) and Jungle Cruise (I like the enclosed temple area w/ the cobras).

Otherwise, Disneyland numero uno.

Lost Boy
04-17-2002, 09:11 PM
Well, since I have been going since the day it opened, and
since this is the only Park Walt Disney Walked in, and
since bigger isn't always better, and
because.
It's got to be

DISNEYLAND

Nigel2
04-17-2002, 09:33 PM
Been to both and say it is disneyland (not just out of bias) because ours has more attractions (well at it's peak it does:)) and it isn't nearly as humid as WDW in the summer.:D

HeeHeeHeeHoHoHo
04-17-2002, 10:33 PM
Which MK is better? I thought there was only one Magic Kingdom and that was in WDW in Florida.

Uncle Dick
04-17-2002, 11:15 PM
Originally posted by HeeHeeHeeHoHoHo
Which MK is better? I thought there was only one Magic Kingdom and that was in WDW in Florida.
While the park in Florida is literally named the "Magic Kingdom", in California, it is commonly referred to as the magic kingdom of Disneyland. Hence, both are magic kingdoms, except the one in Florida is also the Magic Kingdom. Confusing enough?

Nigel2
04-17-2002, 11:18 PM
It's also called Walt Disney's Magic Kingdom as well:)

Morrigoon
04-18-2002, 01:23 AM
Duh, DL of course :)

The other parks don't have the feel of Walt's park. They're mere reproductions of it. For example, the storefronts on DL's Main Street are real turn of the century storefronts, purchased by Walt as turn of the century buildings were being torn down to make way for newer "space-age" buildings in the 50's. Try to get THAT in Florida!

merlinjones
04-18-2002, 02:09 AM
No contest. Walt Disney's Magic Kingdom, Disneyland. There will never be anything like it again.

The detail, design and toy like scale of the original was not surpassed in its copies (especially WDW, which is rather bland, far less quirky and fascinating by comparison).

Its a shame namagement seems determined to downscale the park with closures and ceap replacements or additionas. Until the mid-90's, DL always had the coolest new additions. Bring it back to the level it deserves with cool new stuff and resorations of nostalgic favorites. Fix Tomorrowland... maintain TS Island... Paint ToonTown... restore the Subs!

Save Walt's Disneyland!!!

Lacrosse Boy
04-18-2002, 04:10 AM
This subject has come up about a gazillion times if you go thread hunting. The answer is Disneyland. Duh.

Main Street Magic
04-18-2002, 05:16 AM
Well, now let me see....which one.....I pick...(insert drum roll here)....DL...and not just because this is the DL forum either! And this is a hard pick considering that the last time I saw DL was over 20 years ago (I've been to WDW several times in the last two years).

Now, considering what I read on this web site with as many attractions in rehab or not there (a.k.a Tomorrowland)....perhaps the edge should go to the Magic Kingdom in WDW.

Sorry but there will never be another one like DL. It was the first and will always be the best.

And a note to the person who call WDW the Tragic Kingdom.....Gosh, and to think that that was what we called DL back when I was a CM back in the days of E Coupons.....

hbquikcomjamesl
04-18-2002, 09:45 AM
real turn of the century storefronts, purchased by Walt

That hardly seems likely, considering as how Main Street is built in forced perspective, with 7/8 scale ground floors, and progressively reduced upper floors.

Personally, even though I'm at Disneyland more times in an average year than I've been to WDW in my life, I really have no preference. They both have their good points and their bad points.

What I did notice was that everything is bigger in WDW-MK, and that the layout there was similar enough, yet different enough, to be slightly disorienting. Also, I noticed that Main Street Station in WDW-MK reminds me of a lot of big city railroad stations I've been in, while the one in DL, to the extent that it seems like a real railroad station at all, reminds me more of small-town stations.

Also, while I prefer the way the DL parade route runs through North Fantasyland, there is much to be said for the way WDW-MK's parade route has unobstructed access to the parade warehouse from both ends, rather than having a layover area at Town Square.

80S ERA
04-18-2002, 10:18 AM
Originally posted by Lost Boy
since bigger isn't always better, and
because.
It's got to be

DISNEYLAND

What I find interesting is the common misperception that Florida MK is thought to be smaller! There are literally tons of folks I run into that think (and still do) that it is much smaller than the original. I wonder why? Maybe due to Florida's use of full-scale streets and buildings as opposed to Anaheim's false perspective? Who knows?

For the record, does anyone know the size comparison of the two, in acres? I asked this on another comparison thread and nobody knew the answer.

GREGOR
04-18-2002, 11:18 AM
Originally posted by 80S ERA

For the record, does anyone know the size comparison of the two, in acres? I asked this on another comparison thread and nobody knew the answer.

I searched through some of the Disney sites in my Favorites folder and this is what I came up with:
DL 85 acres
MK 107 acres
(DLP 138 acres)

This was gleened from several sites and I don't know how accurate they are.
(Couldn't find squat on TDL. Not a lot of sites out there for that one. At least not in English.)

80S ERA
04-18-2002, 12:11 PM
Whoa...DL paris largest so far? Thanks for the info, greg!

malin
04-18-2002, 03:12 PM
As someone who has been lucky enouth to of visited 3 of the 4 parks I would have to say Disneyland Paris.

However this thread is not about Paris so if I have to choose between WDW and DL its going to have to be DL.

DL has two things that do it for me Indy and the Matterhorn.Oh and DL Fantasyland is more detail than the WDW one as well.

However WDW does have a better Splash Mountain in my opinion.

Both parks have there good points however Disneyland Paris is just such a great park.And I belive this is how Walt would of wanted DL to look like if he had the budget and tecnology that we have today.

Gracy_hm
04-18-2002, 03:20 PM
I have gone to Walt Disney World and never had the feeling I did at Disneyland!!!!

DISNEYLAND IS THE BEST!!!!!!DISNEYLAND IS THE BEST

DisneylandKid
04-18-2002, 05:00 PM
J'aime la terre de Disney!

(Translation: I love Disneyland.)

Indiana Jones ADVENTURE
Roger Rabbit
Matterhorn
*New* Car Ride: Autopia
Alice in Wonderland
Storybookland
Cosmic Waves!!! (just kidding)