PDA

View Full Version : Help me decide hotels - Candy Cane Inn, Portofino or HoJos

seattlemouse
04-10-2006, 06:04 AM
We're going to DL June 28-July 1. It'll be me, my two kids, and my father at first. Then my husband and sister will join us later. I wanted Grand Cal but the standard rooms were sold out and the view rooms are $360. I just can't justify that cost. So I booked HoJos but then I read Trip Advisor and they ranked Candy Cane Inn as the best in Anaheim. But then I saw that Portofino had these "kids suites" but they don't have the best reviews.

Right now I'm leaning toward Candy Cane Inn's Premium rooms (I like the thought of breakfast being delivered to us) I booked two rooms. We could all fit into one Portofino room but 5 people and one shower? We'll never get ready. HoJos is good and cheaper than Candy Can Inn, but farther away and we have to cross the street.

Candy Can Inn's rooms are $169 per night (we need two), HoJo's are $129(again two rooms), Portofino $179 (but just one room).

What are your experiences with these hotels?

Darkbeer
04-10-2006, 06:49 AM
HoJos is good and cheaper than Candy Cane Inn, but farther away and we have to cross the street.

FYI, actually from the HoJo Lobby to the Main Entry Plaza is just a bit closer than from the Candy Cane Inn.

I am a HoJo fan, and know a lot of folks who agree, in fact, a good friend just checked in last night.

But then Breakfast delivered sounds good, and at $40 a day (price difference), that is about the same as a breakfast at Mimi's, but I think you would get a better breakfast at Mimi's.......

junglemom
04-10-2006, 07:37 AM
I was NOT impressed by the Potofino. Never been to the other two though.

hlbtimes2
04-10-2006, 07:45 AM
I recomend the candy cane. The shuttle is so nice after a long day at the parks. It runs every 1/2 hour (on the hour and 30 from the hotel and the 15 and 45 from the park). Yes, you can walk it in 10 minutes, but after 12-15 hours in the park, who wants another 10 minute walk back to the hotel?

I stayed there last month, and am going back next month.

barely
04-10-2006, 09:14 AM
Darkbeer, what is it that makes you such a HoJo fan? I'm booked there September 9-13.

ghoofie
04-10-2006, 09:28 AM
Candy Cane ... BUT...I would take a cheaper room and go to the breakfast area my self. There are lots of choices and it's a nice atmosphere...just relaxing waking up by the pool.

kisroo
04-10-2006, 09:54 AM
Candy Cane Inn. The breakfast and shuttle, plus the little "fancy" hotel feel make it a second to the GCH for us.

We liked the Hojo~the Disney view rooms were cool. But, they don't have a breakfast or a shuttle. And, traveling with kids, a shuttle is a nice touch even when it's a 10-15 min. walk. Sometimes, at the end of a long day, another walk can throw a little one (or the adults with them) over the edge. ;)

Have a great trip!

~kisroo:)

Niwel
04-10-2006, 10:06 AM
I've only stayed at Hojos ... I've always liked it... :)

hefferdude
04-10-2006, 11:14 AM
Darkbeer, what is it that makes you such a HoJo fan? I'm booked there September 9-13.
Buttin' in on DB..

Another HJ & CC fan here. They are both our families first choice for " non-suite " accomodations. The CC's advantage is the included continental breakfast - not too bad but can be crowded - a dedicated shuttle - and very nice rooms recently refurbished. The disadvantages are the small pool - the hotel is wrapped around a parking lot -although the flowers and other plants are very well done - and outside entry only. Still a great place.

HJ has a large well gardened property with a greater variety of rooms - you can actually pick your type of room online using their room maps - some rooms actually overlook the park ( top floors facing west building 1 ) - two large pools and a nice little kid wading pond - the fireworks are visible ( limited ) from the front pool area. HJ has no breakfast and only the ART shuttle comes around ( $3/day. )
BTW - HJ does have a couple of very large suites ( cost $$ ? )

Both have exceptional staff and remain our two first and best choices.

For larger family groups, we have booked the exception suite over at the Residence Inn on Clementine.

basketballmom
04-10-2006, 11:14 AM
We are staying there in July. I gave my DH a choice of 3 hotels, and that is the one he picked.
Why is it your favorite?
Thanks!

jdport
04-10-2006, 11:19 AM
I'll toss this one out. I've stayed at this one for 3 years running now. It has the absolute BEST view of the fireworks display from the poolside. They really went all out in making it look like something from Hawaii. And it's only $95/night. My friends and I will be going back there in July. They do have a breakfast package for a little more and they also have room service, free hi-speed internet and more.

ANAHEIM-AT THE PARK (1 BLK E)
Holiday Inn
1221 SO. HARBOR BLVD
ANAHEIM, CA 92805
UNITED STATES
LOCAL PHONE: 1-714-7580900

tinker3
04-10-2006, 11:53 AM
My vote is the CCI. It's very clean, well decorated, close and great service. The beds are pretty comfy. But I think one of the biggest + in my book is the breakfast, it's fast and good. Our family likes to get to the park ASAP, and my boys are big breakfast eaters, so to have to go to a resuraunt and wait for service etc. just takes too much time. I also like that it is walking distance, with the option of a shuttle. If I had to say the CCI had any negatives it would be the rooms are just a bit small. If you have two rooms I think it will work great. Good luck!

seattlemouse
04-10-2006, 07:30 PM
Thanks everyone! I think I'll go Candy Cane Inn. Unless I change my mind again! Thanks.

samanthamarie
04-10-2006, 07:34 PM
I would tell you to steer clear of the Portofino. I've stayed there twice w/ my family during the holiday season, and the walls are SUPER thin, you can definitely here the babies crying next door (since the family suites are all grouped together.) Also, if you're driving, parking is quite limited and there may be a fee? (I've never been the one driving, so I can't recall for sure). I'd recommend the La Quinta for their AWESOME breakfast (seriously, no need to eat until a very late lunch) and they also have kids/family suites. It's a little bit farther away than the Portofino, but the ART stops right outside the back of the hotel, and it is the first pick up and the first drop off point on that route. :D

MommyTo3Boys1Girl
04-10-2006, 07:57 PM
We are HUGE HoJo fans. Already booked there for our December trip, and our last 4-5 trips we have stayed there. The staff is friendly, grounds are nicely trimmed, rooms are clean and spacious, can't beat the price and I would take that 8 minute walk over cramming on an ART bus with cranky and tired people after being at the park 12 hours, any day.

Disneymademoiselle
04-10-2006, 10:12 PM
You can find me at the Candy Cane Inn in 9 days. I love it there!!!:D

ghoofie
04-11-2006, 07:22 AM
Thanks everyone! I think I'll go Candy Cane Inn. Unless I change my mind again! Thanks.

One more thing about the 'cane....book early !!!
They fill up much faster then other neighborhood motels.

momuvseven
04-11-2006, 07:52 AM
The only place I have been is the Portifino and I would not stay there again. Just happened to get a really cheap rate last year on the family suite. No breakfast and it is a long walk. Rooms are very worn out and dated. I would pay more and stay at the Candy Cane Inn.