PDA

View Full Version : Rides and the Plus Sized Guest

Pages : [1] 2

cmpeter
04-09-2006, 10:22 AM
A frriend is coming to visit and wants to go to Disney...I am plus size (18-20) and haven't had a problem fitting into any of the rides. But she is a bit bigger...(26-28). Any advice about rides to stay away from? She's lost 90 lbs in the past year and the trip is a bit of a reward...I want to make it as fun as possible. Thanks.

Ragrobyn
04-09-2006, 10:43 AM
Your friend won't have a problem at all. Some of the Fantasyland rides are a little tight in the knees ( due to my extra baggage behind me :eek: ) and I think there is a weight limit on the Orange Stinger. But all in all your friend WILL have a fabulous time!!!! :D

MortgageMan
04-09-2006, 11:10 AM
The only attraction I've ever seen anyone have a problem with was the Orange Stinger. A man was not allowed on because his belly was so large that the sliding down restraint couldn't go down.

Congratulate your friend on her weight loss and quest for a healthier lifestyle.

cmpeter
04-09-2006, 11:49 AM
Thanks so much for the feedback.

DianeM
04-09-2006, 12:22 PM
If she's tall and big then she might have trouble on Autopia. I'm 5'10" and I can't fit my legs on Autopia. I haven't tried riding it since I lost weight, but it's pretty cramped. It's really for young kids, anyway. I don't even try to ride the "Boardwalk" style rides at DCA, because they don't appeal to me. I don't think she'll have a problem with the big rides, though. I used to be a 24 and there wasn't anything I couldn't ride comfortably.

A frriend is coming to visit and wants to go to Disney...I am plus size (18-20) and haven't had a problem fitting into any of the rides. But she is a bit bigger...(26-28). Any advice about rides to stay away from? She's lost 90 lbs in the past year and the trip is a bit of a reward...I want to make it as fun as possible. Thanks.

potterphreak
04-09-2006, 12:47 PM
I'm a 24 and there is nothing I can't ride (besides the Orange Stinger). Only problem I have encountered is on Tower of Terror-try to make it so at least one side of the chubby is NOT against the wall when seated. I rode that with DH (who is also fluffy) and I was against the wall and I was cramped! Still fit and once the ride started who could notice being squished, but I still would recommend being surrounded by people as opposed to a wall on one side. Hope that helps and have a great time!

disneyhound
04-09-2006, 12:53 PM
Seems like Orange Zinger is the one to avoid. A friend of Mine could not ride OZ, she did not fit into the seat. But, she went on most everything else and had no other problems on her 5 day DL vacation last month!

momuvseven
04-09-2006, 01:25 PM
Gosh, I have always been a nice and fluffy 16/18/20 depending on what diet I am currently on LOL and I have no problems getting into or out of anything at DCA or DLR. I have seen people much larger going on and off rides, not sure how comfortable they felt but they didn't appear to be in pain. I go on all the kiddie rides too with the little ones, no problems at all.

Went on TOT but never again!!!!! I wouldn't go on that if I were a size 2, just too intense for me.

Drince88
04-09-2006, 02:12 PM
One suggestion, for any attraction that has a retractable seatbelt - is to pull it out before you sit down. Much easier that way.

The Orange Stinger actually has a weight limit, but it's not well publicized and we had to really look for it to see it - when we knew it was there.

cmpeter
04-09-2006, 03:04 PM
Thanks again for all the feedback. I am so excited to be taking her to DLR!

tinklover25
04-09-2006, 08:43 PM
i am a 28-30 and have absolutly no problem on anything except for the shows. I am also short and I know those that are a bit taller have had a bit of problems due to leg scrunching. Also the turnstiles are a bit hard for me due to my height because they hit me on my largest part where those who are taller it hits more thigh are and they can slide through a bit easier. Good luck and have a great time if you have any specific questions I am happy to help.

guendolyn
04-10-2006, 09:21 AM
My dad is a large man, 6'5" and well over 300 pounds, he did not have a problems with most rides, except some fantsyland rides, Alice and tea cups, but I think that was mostly due to his height. He did complain about the wideness ( Is that even a word?) of the bobslides.

If you are going on Tower ask to sit in the back as the seats back there have a couple more inches of space than the first two rows.

Have a great time.

tod
04-10-2006, 10:12 AM
Also keep in mind that they have seatbelt extenders that will add some extra length to the seatbelt on rides that use seatbelts, like the Matterhorn. They keep them out of sight, but if you ask they can grab one and give it to you.

--t

neffyh
04-10-2006, 10:32 AM
Is there any height restrictions on any rides? Iam 6'0.

PumbaaMan
04-10-2006, 10:47 AM
One other ride for the larger than average size human to avoid is Mulholland Madness. Too tight of fit and too sharp of turns. Tried to ride it once and was very politely told no go. :rolleyes:

experiment626
04-10-2006, 07:21 PM
One other ride that may be a problem is the astro orbitor. I generally skip that attraction (now that my kids are old enough to go by themselves) but remeber having a tough time at size 16/18/20.

Omnitographer
04-10-2006, 08:12 PM
standing at about 6' 4" with my shoes on, i found that sitting the in front seat of any car on big thunder is uncomfortable because of the way the front car slopes into the floor, instead of being a 90° angle.
So row 1, 4, and so on have this at the foot level:

|
|
|
|
\
\
\___________

while the other seats have

|
|
|
|
|
|
|_______________

so my long legs tend to get squashed by the lap bar.

That and the lap bar on space mountain left me a bit bruised

TowerofTerror
04-10-2006, 08:45 PM
Well Disney tries its best to accommodates everyone including large people at the park.

SandraVB79
04-11-2006, 06:46 AM
I'm a size 10/12/14 and 6'0 and I could hardly squish myself in the Autopia cars because of my height (getting out was even worse!)

I think you should be fine, however!!!! Please, when going on a boat-ride, make sure you don't sit on the same side of the boat. I really thought I was going to hit the water when 3 very large women sat next to me on Storybookland...

raych30
04-11-2006, 07:37 AM
I'm a size 10/12/14 and 6'0 and I could hardly squish myself in the Autopia cars because of my height (getting out was even worse!)

I think you should be fine, however!!!! Please, when going on a boat-ride, make sure you don't sit on the same side of the boat. I really thought I was going to hit the water when 3 very large women sat next to me on Storybookland...

The same thing happened to me on IASW. :eek:

Waste,Please!
04-11-2006, 08:56 AM
On our last trip there were two big burly men in the front row of the IASW boat in front of us while the remainder of the boat held a group of very petite young Asian women. Several times along the ride the boat would bottom out in the channel and the men would have to grab the sides of the channel and pull the boat forward manually as other boats piled up behind them.

So, if you're heavier/lighter than average and you don't want that sort of exercise/experience, be careful where you sit in the boats! You would think the loading people would watch out for that sort of thing.

Waste,Please!
04-11-2006, 09:04 AM
On our last trip there were two big burly men in the front row of the IASW boat in front of us while the remainder of the boat held a group of very petite young Asian women. Several times along the ride the boat would bottom out in the channel and the men would have to grab the sides of the channel and pull the boat forward manually as other boats piled up behind them.

So, if you're heavier/lighter than average and you don't want that sort of exercise/experience, be careful where you sit in the boats! You would think the loading people would watch out for that sort of thing.

tbminnie
04-11-2006, 11:56 AM
OMG- How embarrasing.

poohlover
04-11-2006, 12:05 PM
My family was at Disneyland in October 2005. I was a 28-30 at the time, and I had NO problems on any rides. Getting into Space Mountain was a bit of a challenge because I jammed my knee on the steering wheel or handle or whatever it was, but once I got that straddled, I was fine. Seatbelts were never a problem. Last time we went I remember leg room (I'm 5'7") being tight on Allice in Wonderland. I didn't go on Mulholland or the Orange Stinger or Astro Orbiter. My husband was okay (snug) in Autopia (he's 5'9" and a men's 4X) but he loved it. Space, Splash and Thunder Mountains were fine. I was just a hair shy of needing a seatbelt extender on Alaska Airlines. Disneyland is for EVERYONE...big, small, short, tall! Just be sure your friend has comfy walking shoes!! :-)

CamCay
04-13-2006, 03:28 PM
I'm a 24 and there is nothing I can't ride (besides the Orange Stinger). Only problem I have encountered is on Tower of Terror-try to make it so at least one side of the chubby is NOT against the wall when seated. I rode that with DH (who is also fluffy) and I was against the wall and I was cramped! Still fit and once the ride started who could notice being squished, but I still would recommend being surrounded by people as opposed to a wall on one side. Hope that helps and have a great time!

I love the term "fluffy"!!!!