PDA

View Full Version : I just figured out what DCA is missing!

disneyjunkie
04-07-2006, 11:28 PM
In reading the "weird things you have done at DL" thread and my love for not walking around the park , I realized that DCA has no transportion system within the park! It needs a train? or how about and I5 freeway with little cars to scoot you from land to land? Complete with green overhead signs announcing your next exit. The way DCA is built there is no spoke or hub its a left to right set up so along the roadway we need a genuine CA "freeway" to get us from the backlot to the pier with a few stops in between. And give us a Monarail station direct for DL!

brebo
04-07-2006, 11:38 PM
I AGREE! I can't stand walking around DCA. That's why I don't spend a lot of time there. I can't STAND the walking! Some how I feel as if I could walk around Disneyland all day and not get tired (okay, I'd get a little tired) but, DCA is...eww. I think it's also because there's not a lot of shade or something. My friend and I were nearly crying walking around there last summer. Transportation would make it so much easier! That idea was cute. ^^

hlbtimes2
04-08-2006, 07:16 AM
Its also missing shade, which makes all the walking that much worse. I dont dislike DCA, just hope they continue to improve it.

Imagineer In Training
04-08-2006, 09:08 AM
But shad is something that will come with time....afterall disneyland's beggining years werent super shady either. Trees take time to grow....disney magic doesnt just make them magically sprout up! hahaha

I definetly think they need some mode of transportation...and im confident that in time they will have one because things are changing alot around there.

DianeM
04-08-2006, 09:22 AM
How about cable cars? That would certainly invoke "California". But the logistics would be challenging.

... we need a genuine CA "freeway" to get us from the backlot to the pier with a few stops in between. And give us a Monarail station direct for DL!

TikiGeek
04-08-2006, 09:50 AM
...we need a genuine CA "freeway" to get us from the backlot to the pier with a few stops in between. If it was a "genuine" CA freeway, then it would take you 2 hours to get across the park. :p

Rhiannon8404
04-08-2006, 10:21 AM
If it was a "genuine" CA freeway, then it would take you 2 hours to get across the park. :p

I was thinking the same thing!

GrumpyUTboi
04-08-2006, 03:33 PM
I wonder if they would put in a carpool lane? Maybe rent out a manaquin for 5 buck a day so that others could take advantage of the carpool lane.

lobotomomma
04-08-2006, 03:39 PM
LOL- GrumpyUtboi! Also TikiGeek's comment about it taking two hours to go across the park! Sad but true....

Pilot Mickey
04-08-2006, 04:06 PM
i said the same thing a while ago:D about the cable cars anyways

http://mousepad.mouseplanet.com/showpost.php?p=426557&postcount=4

hbquikcomjamesl
04-08-2006, 08:10 PM
On the other hand,

1. Knotts had actual California Street cable cars (converted to battery-powered traction motors) for many years, in its parking lot. Eventually, it donated them back to the MUNI; that's why all of the brand-new cars that roll out of the barn once or twice a year are Powell cars; the Muni has California cars to spare. I think it was at Knotts (back when it was a relatively cheap place for locals to spend their weekends!) that I first developed my love of cable cars.

2. Neither MGM nor AK have internal transportation.

To run cable car-themed vehicles on, say, the Parade Route,
1. The road would have to be wide enough, from one parade gate to the other, to allow 2 narrow-gauge tracks, with adequate clearance between them,
2. they would have to either run California St. double-ended cars, or put in a turntable at each end,
3. a turntable would probably have to have some sort of power-assist, in order to accommodate the fact that most CMs wouldn't necessarily have the strength to turn a car, especially one weighed down with batteries and traction motors, and
4. given that theme park safety rules would probably rule out standees on the running boards, and the limits of battery traction would rule out the San Francisco custom of packing standees inside like sardines, and that the usual noises and smells would be absent, it wouldn't be a very realistic simulation.

Oh, and "vote_stomper," as to your other thread, you said

why do they call it a backlot when there is no frontlot in a movie studio?The front lot of a studio is where the sound stages are.

aricbell
04-09-2006, 02:13 PM
lol i love your idea about the freeway thing, that would be so cool...When I'm there I often hear people talking about where they can get on the monorail in DCA but I tell them they would have to go to Downtown Disney to board. there should be a stop for the monorail.

ILovePoker
04-09-2006, 02:40 PM
That's why I don't spend a lot of time there. I can't STAND the walking!

Wow!:eek: Maybe some people are just too lazy?

hlbtimes2
04-09-2006, 06:42 PM
I AGREE! I can't stand walking around DCA. That's why I don't spend a lot of time there. I can't STAND the walking! Some how I feel as if I could walk around Disneyland all day and not get tired (okay, I'd get a little tired) but, DCA is...eww. I think it's also because there's not a lot of shade or something. My friend and I were nearly crying walking around there last summer. Transportation would make it so much easier! That idea was cute. ^^

I think the difference is that at DL there is a lot to see and do. You never have to walk far to the next land or attraction. In DCA there are areas that the walk seems long becuase there isnt a lot to do between areas.

For example, from the warf to the pier. You have to walk over up over the bridge and around the water. There isnt really anything between those two areas. An ice cream stand is all I recall. Then from soarin' to Grizzly river seems like a really long walk, with out much to offer. There are other examples, but those are the ones that come to mind first.

brebo
04-09-2006, 09:43 PM
Wow!:eek: Maybe some people are just too lazy?

Haha, I'm lazy! There's just nothing I like in the park that's worth walking that long (with the exception of soarin' and tower of terror...of course those are decently close the entrance)

disneyjunkie
04-09-2006, 11:36 PM
Just about everythings close to the entrance with the exception of the Pier. I was thinking more along the line of adding ambiance and themeing to the park. Not a help for lazyness lol. Anyone can walk up and down Main St at DL which I also do on visits , what would DL be without shopping at the Emporium, Disneyana , Candy Palace etc...but I enjoy the vehicles on Main St and the Train and the old Skyway as an enhancement to my visit to experience all these modes of transportation. I was thinking along the line of enhancements for DCA adding the extra methods of transportation to enjoy while expoloring the park. Also the Monarail subject I still think more people would filter over to DCA if there were a station there its like a weanie theres a stop, why?, because there is something to see there and enjoy. more people would be inclined to disembark than to walk accross the esplanade to enter.

newhdplayer
04-10-2006, 09:24 AM
I realized that DCA has no transportion system within the park! It needs a train?

There used to a real cool train running all over DCA, but since they put the park in, it's gone.

Gosh how I miss that train (tram)!

iwannabeanimagineer
04-11-2006, 10:36 AM
..there should be a stop for the monorail.
There should be two stops for the monorail: One in the Hollywood Pictures Backlot area and one in the southwest corner of Paradise Pier, which would require a track extension, but it would be worthwhile. This would make the Monorail a 4-stop experience, which might be a bit much for some, but maybe every 2nd or 3rd train could be the "express" and blow by 2 or more stops. Doesn't the WDW monorail do that?