PDA

View Full Version : Flying into Long Beach... want to go directly to the beach

kathyinaf
04-07-2006, 09:07 AM
We are flying into Long Beach on Sunday and want to spend the day at the beach before checking into our motel by Disneyland (hit the beach, go to our motel and clean up, then hit Downtown Disney and the Electrical Parade in DCA - at least that's the plan for now ;) Someone recommended Seal Beach but I have never heard of it?? Any suggestions? Will traffic be bad at noon on a Sunday? Will the beaches be crowded? How far are the beaches from LB airport? I can't wait for my four year old to play in the ocean for the first time!!!

Kathy again

mcow1
04-07-2006, 09:16 AM
We are flying into Long Beach on Sunday and want to spend the day at the beach before checking into our motel by Disneyland (hit the beach, go to our motel and clean up, then hit Downtown Disney and the Electrical Parade in DCA - at least that's the plan for now ;) Someone recommended Seal Beach but I have never heard of it?? Any suggestions? Will traffic be bad at noon on a Sunday? Will the beaches be crowded? How far are the beaches from LB airport? I can't wait for my four year old to play in the ocean for the first time!!!

Kathy again
Seal Beach is great (that's where I live). Head straight out of the airport on Wardlow to Seal Beach Blvd (3 or 4 miles) turn right and just go straight. When you get downtown there will be a fork in the road, bear left. Won't be crowded as it is supposed to rain.

999thghost
04-07-2006, 09:25 AM
Be aware that the beaches located in Long Beach are going to be hectic this weekend. The Grand Prix is going on and the area around the Queen Mary, Shoreline Village, the Aquarium and the Pike is completely shut down until Monday. Crowds will be hectic in the area and there will be virtually no parking.

Seal Beach is nice, but there are also lots more beaches to see if you continue up Pacific Coast Highway towards Huntington Beach. You will pass Seal Beach, Sunset, Bolsa Chica ant then Huntington. Sunset is nice and can have easy parking. Bolsa Chica will have a pay lot, but you have the bird sanctuary across the way. Huntington is much more of what you would consider a tourist beach. Lots of small stores and restaruants up Main St.

From there you can can easily reach the Disneyland area.

HTanner
04-07-2006, 12:46 PM
As another poster said, there are other nice beaches - if the Grand Prix is going on, the beaches close to Long Beach (including Seal Beach) are bound to be more crowded.

I would personally choose Huntington Beach and try the Harbor House Cafe, if its still there. Its a hole in the wall diner, which, at least when I was in college, had cheap, good food and phenomenal milk shakes.

kathyinaf
04-07-2006, 04:56 PM
Thanks so much for the info though!

K

mcow1
04-07-2006, 07:20 PM
As another poster said, there are other nice beaches - if the Grand Prix is going on, the beaches close to Long Beach (including Seal Beach) are bound to be more crowded.

I would personally choose Huntington Beach and try the Harbor House Cafe, if its still there. Its a hole in the wall diner, which, at least when I was in college, had cheap, good food and phenomenal milk shakes.
Seal Beach doesn't get crowded during the GP but she's not coming then anyway. Harbor House is still there. Crab omelets to die for. And cheap too.