PDA

View Full Version : What is the unofficial guide to Disney? How does it compare to Ridemax?

kathyinaf
04-07-2006, 08:58 AM
Lastly, where can I find info about the Unofficial Guide. I've been pretty sure that I am going to try the Ridemax thing but now I am hearing about the UG. Opinions?

Kathy

stan4d_steph
04-07-2006, 09:03 AM
The Unofficial Guide to Disneyland (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0764583425/sr=8-1/qid=1144429079/ref=pd_bbs_1/104-6283177-4528707?%5Fencoding=UTF8) is a book you can purchase at any bookstore or online (the link goes to Amazon). It gives you information on hotels, food and attractions in the DLR area. It also provides some sample itineraries.

Ridemax is software that gives you a daily itinerary based on inputs you make to it, like how many in your party, what ages, when you are visiting.

snoopyfan
04-07-2006, 09:32 AM
I've never used ridemax, but when we were DL newbies I checked out the UG from the library. It helped us a lot at the time with 2 small children. They seem to give an honest opinion about DL and they do it with some humor. See if the new one is at your local library.

JSKoehler
04-07-2006, 11:07 AM
We bought the UOG and used Ridemax at DL and CA last year. While it was helpful to have the personalized touring plans as a guide, we ultimately departed from the "marching orders" because out priorities (or, rather, those of our kids) changed once we were in the park for a few hours.

I think the UOG and similar books as well as websites like this can give you the basics on how to tour efficiently, but that in the end you are better off using the knowledge to set your on pace, rather than trying to follow a predetermined plan. Even if you unfamiliar with the "survival skills" needed to avoid the lines, I don't think having a step by step guide will give you that much of a boost, and can lead you to feel like you've "failed" if the plan does not go, well, accoridng to plan.

Research the stategies and then trust that you will be able to apply and adapt what you can ... and not worry about "needing to get to Peter Pan in five minutes."

Lani
04-07-2006, 11:10 AM
The Unofficial Guide has a Web site called TouringPlans.com (http://www.touringplans.com/), where you can create wonderful little customized tour plans you can print out and take with you on your trip.

acpalmer
04-07-2006, 12:04 PM
The Unofficial Guide has a Web site called TouringPlans.com (http://www.touringplans.com/), where you can create wonderful little customized tour plans you can print out and take with you on your trip.

This site is actually only for WDW and doesn't have anything for DLR, so just wanted to warn you of that.

Duchess mermaid
04-07-2006, 08:38 PM
I have both the unofficial guide, and ridemax. There is nothing in the guide that you don't get at this site, Don't waste your money. Unless you want a guide book to take with you. I haven't used ridemax yet so can't say much, but I just Printed out the plan for my trip and it looks great!!