PDA

View Full Version : How do you get over Disneyland trip envy?

Pages : [1] 2

MommyTo3Boys1Girl
04-07-2006, 06:57 AM
Those that don't live in So. Cal and have APs, how do you get over the envy you feel when someone else is going to the park.
A dear friend of mine from VA is in San Diego as I type, starting the beginning of a week long CA vacation. First they are going to Sea World and the Zoo, which I LOVE Sea World. But then Sunday night, they will driving to So.Cal. and will spend 3 days at Disneyland starting Monday. They have never been, it is her and her 4yo daughter, along with her mother and 10yo nephew. I sent her maps from my last trip and spent several hours yesterday morning, IMing with her, getting her set on must dos, and where to sit for shows etc. Then I spent the rest of the day depressed that she is going and I am not. While I am thrilled she is going to experience DLR and was excited she was getting choked up from some of the things I found exciting at the park, I want to be there! I was just there a month ago, but I want to go back now. What makes it even worse is that more than likely I won't be going again until December!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! HELP! Is there a support group for I want to be at Disneyland depression?

yellowrosedtxn
04-07-2006, 07:09 AM
I am there with you. I am so jealous of all of you that live in CA that are close enough to go whenever they want! I would probably take it for granted though if I lived there - but I wouldn't mind having the chance TOO take it for granted!

I am on countdown mode now anyway and my co-workers think I am nuts, my kids think I am nuts BUT I am in hog heaven!

FMTX
04-07-2006, 07:44 AM
I think a quote from Jon Favreau’s 90’s cult movie Swingers where Ron Livingston’s character explains the following about losing a girlfriend also applies to this situation.

“It hurts real bad at first but everyday you wakeup and it hurts a little less until one day you wake up and it does not hurt anymore."

anniedg
04-07-2006, 07:46 AM
Well, we visit Mouseplanet and just live vicariously -- and I just keep telling myself trips are more special for those of us who don't get to go very often :;)
(NOT to raise a ruckus about where is the best place to live, different strokes for different folks, but I've gotta say even though I'd love to get to DL and WDW a lot more often, I wouldn't want to pay the price of not living near the Rocky Mountains)

SeansMom
04-07-2006, 08:08 AM
I am SO with you, Mommyto2boys! I spent hours helping my friends sister plan for their mid-winter break trip. It was a lot of fun, and my guys even pitched in with idea for (like favorite places to eat), but when all was said and done...I wanted to go, too! I've got to say, though, that coming here, looking at other people's trip reports, and Darkbeer's pictures, and just scanning the boards helps.

Plus, I like to plan other fun stuff in our lives, too. Whatever you enjoy, maybe now's the time to do it! Maybe a movie night, or a game night, or a mini-trip to your favorite place that is close by. I know it isn't DL, but a walk in nature always soothes my soul, and right now (here, anyway) all the new growth is coming up, the birds are singing, and even the rain is a tad bit warmer. If all THAT fails...just keep planning your trip and go Christmas shopping, address your Christmas cards, or do something else to prepare for Christmas so you won't have to do it/think about it on your trip :).

DianeM
04-07-2006, 08:18 AM
Treasure your own experience with DL. Think about the fact that there are millions of people in the LA area, and most of them never go to the park because they take it for granted. Those of us who only get to visit once a year or less have a different relationship with DL. For us, it's a very special event, a time away from the stresses of daily life. A rare and precious experience.

And if you are prone to envy, think of the whole picture. Those lucky people who live close to Disneyland also have to deal with the crowds, traffic, and air pollution associated with living in the Los Angeles area. There are pluses and minuses to every situation, and it's not productive to envy the positives while ignoring the negatives. Think about what you have. Think about what you like about where you live, and whether you would willingly trade your lifestyle for that of the people who live near the park. Although I'd love to visit DL more often, there is no way I'm willing to trade the forests I drive through every day for the experience.

Those that don't live in So. Cal and have APs, how do you get over the envy you feel when someone else is going to the park.

acpalmer
04-07-2006, 08:26 AM
Well, we visit Mouseplanet and just live vicariously -- and I just keep telling myself trips are more special for those of us who don't get to go very often :;)
(NOT to raise a ruckus about where is the best place to live, different strokes for different folks, but I've gotta say even though I'd love to get to DL and WDW a lot more often, I wouldn't want to pay the price of not living near the Rocky Mountains)

We're in Denver, too, and I do the same--live vicariously!! (And I agree--couldn't give up that mountain view everyday!!)

Imagineer In Training
04-07-2006, 08:46 AM
Oh My Gosh!! it is sooo hard to live far away from the Happiest Place on Earth and know that there are people who go there almost every day!!!! out of all the people i envy the most though....the people who are able to go and get spectacular pictures practically anytime they want *cough* Darkbeer *cough* ;) uggh...whenever i go it seems so hard to get pictures without ohter people completly ruining them.( ok not ruining them but um...crowding them up)

Its hard to get over being envious of the people with AP's that go all the time....for me i like to sit down and look at my pictures and pull out my disneyland books and music and just sorta surround myself with it. its the closest to brining Disneyland home right??

on the other hand i dont think it would be fun to live in LA because it really isnt all that pretty compared to other places..i would much rather live near the rockies then in the heart of LA.

kisroo
04-07-2006, 08:56 AM
I plan and enjoy other trips all the while socking away money for another fabulous vacation to DLR!

Oh, and MousePlanet/MousePad helps too.

~kisroo:)

nsaul1211
04-07-2006, 10:32 AM
I do have to say that it is great to be able to go the park whenever. One of the things that is difficult to think about is the cost of houses in Southern CA and how I will be able to afford anything when I graduate from college. My girlfriend and I have spoken about how we might have to move out of state to somewhere like Texas or Colorado. It is so hard out here when the average house price is between 500,000 and 600,000 even in average neighborhoods and only 2 to 3 bedrooms and the average two bedroom apartment goes for 1500 a month or so. If I have to move out of state I will miss Disneyland more than anything and it will be an extremely hard adjustment because we go all the time.

Genris
04-07-2006, 10:42 AM
Rent the kid's video "Elmo Saves Christmas" and find out what happens when the best thing in the world happens every day. In the end, Elmo decides it's better to have Christmas once a year, than to get sick of it being here every day.

I am with you though. My good friend leaves today for 10 days at the DLR. They haven't been in 6 years, and they are going in style. Staying at the GCH, tons of character dining reservations, etc. I want to puke I'm so jealous.;)

DianeM
04-07-2006, 10:53 AM
You don't have to move out of state. There are beautiful semi-rural areas in Northern California where wonderful, big houses can be had for less than $300,000, or fixer uppers for even less. And Lot of them are within commuting distance of good paying jobs. And Disneyland is about 8 hours away by car.

. My girlfriend and I have spoken about how we might have to move out of state to somewhere like Texas or Colorado. It is so hard out here when the average house price is between 500,000 and 600,000 even in average neighborhoods and only 2 to 3 bedrooms and the average two bedroom apartment goes for 1500 a month or so. If I have to move out of state I will miss Disneyland more than anything and it will be an extremely hard adjustment because we go all the time.

nsaul1211
04-07-2006, 11:22 AM
Yeah that might be more of a possibility. Fortunately it is still a few years away so maybe the local market will dip a bit. Of course if we do have to move we bought the 6 CD set of sounds from the park which has all of the rides on it so we can just listen to it while commuting and thinking of being on POTC instead of the 5 freeway :) .

Moonliner
04-07-2006, 02:14 PM
Hummm, I'm really not sure because I'm packing for DL RIGHT NOW. :fez:

FMTX
04-07-2006, 02:29 PM
Hummm, I'm really not sure because I'm packing for DL RIGHT NOW. :fez:

Ok, it hurts really bad again. Hopefully tomorrow when I wake up it will hurt a little less.

twist1980
04-07-2006, 03:09 PM
Message boards are very therapeutic. You have hundreds of other people that feel your pain! Your December trip will be here before you know it!

PirateSmile
04-07-2006, 03:12 PM
Send angry emails to them. JK. We should form a DL Support Group.

Gah, I feel bad for leaving my mom behind when I go to DL with my band.

erica84
04-07-2006, 03:23 PM
I feel your pain! I hate hearing about other people going to DLR when I'm not. It eases the pain a little when I know I will be there in a couple months but it still is hard. I would suggest listening to music from the parks and/or watching Disney movies but that sometimes makes the heart ache for our beloved park even more!! I say plan a trip during the summer and when you get back home you'll only be a few months away from your December trip...whatever you decide, just know that you're not alone! :)

I Heart Disneyland!
04-07-2006, 03:27 PM
I ask for presents! ;) ;) And, shop on MouseShoppe so I can feel like I went too!

dws_60
04-07-2006, 03:33 PM
erica, i feel exactly like you... especially when its the same people who promised my daughter that they wouldnt go without her.. well they tried to babble about it was the 13year old wish and they absoluetely had to accept (can't a 13 year old living in ca, accept to go to an other park and that Disney is only for when his French cousin visits? no! )
and to add to the pain, they want to reture to the CCI where they went with her... they don't mind spending for the same hotel when they're going alone but when my daughter visits, they ask us to help to pay!
so to make up to that pain, i decided to take her to DLP on the same days since we're 3 hours away... but it won't be the same... a promise is a promise that's all! (sorry I'm so venting here... I just can't hold that frustration anylonger)
Take care all
a very hurt friend

Malcon10t
04-07-2006, 06:33 PM
Just keep planning your next trip!

(OK, we leave in 32 hours!!)

Wendi
04-07-2006, 07:28 PM
Lori... I keep thinking you and I could just rush down there for a day to be with them!!! Don't listen to me though, I'm completely insane.

Just get busy planning your next trip, soon the obsession will take care of your envy.

MommyTo3Boys1Girl
04-07-2006, 08:55 PM
I think a quote from Jon Favreau’s 90’s cult movie Swingers where Ron Livingston’s character explains the following about losing a girlfriend also applies to this situation.

“It hurts real bad at first but everyday you wakeup and it hurts a little less until one day you wake up and it does not hurt anymore."

That is great! Love it!

It doesn't help when my 4yo is telling me he is saving his dollars so he can buy a new Disneyland ticket with his picture on it. :crying: His AP expired in mid March and I didn't renew it since we aren't going again until December.

To top it off, I go in for my pedicure today and the lady doing it starts talking about their DLR trip coming up in 3 weeks. So for an hour we are talking Disneyland and I am telling her things not to miss, they haven't been in 7 years.

I have to agree though, I don't want to live in LA. And if I were to be 8 hours by car, I would just rather be in Spokane, where I can get on a plane and be there in 2 hours. I fly for free, so that helps. And I have to agree, although it feels like I want to go to DLR all the time. I don't think it would be as magical if I went all the time.

Wendi, I am still tempted to try to work out that trip you were talking about taking around your birthday! Now who is insane!?! That might land me in divorce court! hehe

darph nader
04-08-2006, 11:31 AM
Envy,yes. Dwell on it,no. We just plan,plan and more planning. Visit this and other boards. Watch Disneyland USA. Man I really can't wait to take my grandkids. 1 was there last year the other 2 have never been. Come on 2008.:cool:

GrumpyUTboi
04-08-2006, 03:42 PM
Mommy,

Come on now! I worked in the airline industry for years. Go list on a tuesday for an early flight out, spend Wed all day, and list for a non-rev flight early Thurs.

I loved it because I would take my beautiful Mrs Grumpy to NYC for dinner and a Broadway play and come home the next day. I loved the day trips. (I know it is difficult with young kids, but hey use the benifits!)

BTW any buddy passes available this year? *wink wink*