PDA

View Full Version : Digital Photofinishing Question

dkr1
04-06-2006, 11:38 PM
Is there a memory card to CD service at the Kodak shop on Main Street or elsewhere on property?

Any drugstore now has digital photo services where you could get a memory card transferred onto CD in less than an hour. I was wondering if they offered this service at the DLR yet. Anyone know?

M-I-C-K-E-Y
04-07-2006, 09:16 AM
When we were there in December, the only place that had this service was the Disneyland Hotel. I am not sure if you have to be a guest of the hotel or not (because we were).

It was in their business center, or whatever they call it and it only cost us like $3.00. The cost covered the cost of the disk and the use of the computers. You have to do it yourself and I am not sure if the computer took all size memory cards. Call the Disneyland Hotel and I'm sure they can answer all your questions.

Drince88
04-07-2006, 09:26 AM
I've heard that some of those services will save a much lower quality picture then what's on your card. Might be good to ask about that, too!

Disnerd
04-07-2006, 09:36 AM
Compass books has a Kodak digital kiosk at their magazine gazebo. They are between the AMC and ESPN.

zeppo
04-08-2006, 11:24 PM
My advice is to look at this website, www.compactdrive.com and considering purchasing the portable hard drive. You can shoot a ton of photos and download them into the HD. I use it during my four day vacation at DL. I shot almost 1000 photos. Did not need to worry about putting them on CDs.

I own a Canon Rebel XT. I photographed all my pictures in RAW format. It is the best way to high quality photographs.

I advised against putting anything on CDs and use them for archival. Not safe way to do it. CDs do not last very long. Use the portable hard drive. When you get home, you can transfer all photos to computer hard drive.

You can always purchase internal hard drive for your computer and put HD in an enclosure and plug it in the PC or the MAC. Hard drives are getting cheaper. It is the best way to archive your photos.

I just bought a Seagate 300GB internal HD with an enclosure for $150. It is worth the investment.

sambo
04-16-2006, 07:44 AM
Yup, portable HD with my laptop. That's what I did last October. RAW format and everything. Over 3400 photos still on the HD, but backed up to several DVD's (in multiple locations for security - like in case of fire or flood).

Wouldn't do it any other way now.

You have to watch the card to CD services - sometimes you get tiny pictures with lots of JPG artifacting because they over compress the images.

Barbossa
04-16-2006, 08:25 AM
I advised against putting anything on CDs and use them for archival. Not safe way to do it. CDs do not last very long. Use the portable hard drive. When you get home, you can transfer all photos to computer hard drive.

There are "archival" quality CD-R's available. They claim to retain data for hundreds of years. They're about $1.40 each, versus $.15 for garden variety CD-R's. Example:

Archival Quality Disks (http://www.delkin.com/delkin_products_archival_gold.html)

Backing your valuable data to these + HDD (and making sure you have an off-site copy!) would be a good plan.

Omnitographer
04-16-2006, 07:13 PM
the best backup solution is high grade tape stored at a professional archival services.