PDA

View Full Version : Gifts for a teenager for first time in Disneyland?

kohl
04-06-2006, 12:19 PM
My husband and I are taking our kids (who have been to Disneyland more times than we can count!) and his daughter in August to Disneyland. She will be 13. I wanted to get her some Disney stuff before the trip. There is a Disney outlet close by so I was going to check that out. Also, I was wondering if there were any suggestions on any books or anything else you think we should get her before the trip?
Thanks!

wishIwasthe_Mouse
04-06-2006, 02:37 PM
if she's thirteen I would say wait until you get there to get her anything it will mean more to her. as for books??? there are all kinds of book on DL From the art to Behind the Ears 1 & 2 (both are favorites of mine). other than that Im sure she will enjoy every minute of it just let her be a kid and run (safley) and have Fun. :) our 14 to be 15 year old son loves it there. all he wanted for his B-day this years was to go to DL so thats were we are going in 2 weeeks :)

twist1980
04-06-2006, 02:40 PM
I think a guide book is a great idea, I love Birnbaum's guides and there are always lots of pictures to look at! Get that for her and let her read about all the rides and decide which ones she would like to go on!

I agree with Mouse and wait until you get there to get her anything. Then she can pick out a tiara or Mickey ears or something fun like that. DL totally brings out the kid in everyone! :p

iwannabeanimagineer
04-06-2006, 03:12 PM
What my teenage daughters would like:
1. One of those electric fans mounted on a squirt bottle (especially in August).
2. Disney Dollars...hundreds and hundreds of them. ;)
3. To bring a same-age friend.
4. Arrangements in advance to do something really cool and unique without younger siblings, such as the Fantasmic! balcony and dessert thing or Club 33 or something.
5. More Fastpasses: begged, borrowed or stolen (well, purchased, then).
6. Early entry.
7. To know things about the park other people don't know so they can sound smart. (Help them obtain this information, then pretend you don't know the things they do.)
8. Advance warning about "stupid" attractions and plenty of ammunition with which to make fun of them when she does experience them. (My teenage daughters would rather experience 3 stupid things than 1 "cool" one as long as they have the ability and permission to mock the stupid ones...go figure.) Superstar Limo is gone, but there's still plenty to mock at It's a Small World, the Tiki Room, the Jungle Cruise and most of California Adventure.

Edited to add my credentials for credibility's sake: My daughters are 19, 17, 11, almost 9 (can't call her 8 as of next month) and 5. I also carefully observed five younger sisters going through their teens.

disneyhound
04-06-2006, 03:28 PM
...there's still plenty to mock at It's a Small World, the Tiki Room, the Jungle Cruise and most of California Adventure...

What? The Jungle Cruise? Thats Sacrilege! :mad:

04-06-2006, 03:51 PM
As the mom of two girls, 13 and 16, I vote for waiting until you hit the resort. Give her some mad money.

MsYumiBr
04-06-2006, 04:29 PM
My husband and I are taking our kids (who have been to Disneyland more times than we can count!) and his daughter in August to Disneyland. She will be 13. I wanted to get her some Disney stuff before the trip. There is a Disney outlet close by so I was going to check that out. Also, I was wondering if there were any suggestions on any books or anything else you think we should get her before the trip?
Thanks!

Every kid is different but for some odd reason my 13 year old likes wallets, purses and bags and backpacks. We were in California Adventure and there was this safari looking bag that she absolutely loves. It's tan with a lot of pockets, kinda canvas material but thinner which has a flap that closes the bag. All she needs is a safari hat and she'll be set!

Tinkermommy
04-06-2006, 04:32 PM
If you want to give her some kind of book ahead of time, "Disneyland Detective" is a lot of fun. It contains a lot of park trivia; even a decoder for the Indiana Jones walls, and it's softcover, so it's not expensive.

Another Dimension
04-06-2006, 07:48 PM
Superstar Limo is gone, but there's still plenty to mock at It's a Small World, the Tiki Room, the Jungle Cruise and most of California Adventure

Wow.. someones gonna make a great Imagineer.
:rolleyes:
Doesn't WDI in 2006 have more than enough problems trying to be serious?

kohl
04-07-2006, 08:44 AM
We are planning on buying things for the kids when we get there. We just wanted to get her excited for the trip. We don't get to see her much so we are hoping to buy Fantasmic! tickets and do a tour. We would like her to pick out which tour since we have already done some.
Thanks for all your tips. Keep them coming!