PDA

View Full Version : A change of thinking re: ReImagineering

CaptainHook15
04-05-2006, 09:53 AM
In previous threads I have stated my thoughts on whether rides, and especially popular ones, should be altered. I have been against it. I had always taken Walt's word's to mean that Disneyland would always be added to and not subtracted from. Not to say that unpopular (Pooh) or just plain bad (Rocket Rods) should be kept untouched, I dont think those can be changed out fast enough. I didn't want Disneyland to become a relic by any means.

After reading the following article which included a letter from Marty Sklar, I have changed my view. Here is the part that changed my mind:

"Although we have looked at other options for use of the Carousel building (as we have at Disneyland), we have no plans at the moment to replace or close the Carousel at the Walt Disney World Magic Kingdom. However, I must underscore the fact that we are following history begun in the earliest days of Disneyland by Walt Disney when we evaluate replacing attractions. Walt started doing that almost immediately, and not all the attractions he replaced were "unpopular," or did not work for one reason or another. In fact, attractions like the Viewliner train and Midget Autopia were very popular, especially with young visitors. (Walt also tore down one of my personal favorites, The Chicken Plantation Restaraunt along the Rivers of America in Frontierland to build New Orleans Square in Disneyland; and later we removed the popular Rainbow Caverns Mine Train to build Big Thunder Mountain Railroad.)"

So while I still mourn what I consider to be losses to the park, I will now look forward to these additions too. I'm guessing that Walt may not have let these attractions hang around as long as they have, so I am glad I was able to enjoy them for as long as I did.

findin mickeys
04-05-2006, 02:36 PM
Captain -

Where did you see this article that you are quoting from? It sounds interesting. Is it online where others could see it?

It is hard to sometimes change ones thinking, my hat is off to you on your ability to evaluate what you believe and make a concious choice like you have. Though in the scheme of things to some this may seem trivial (Changing your mind on whether or not you like the changes being made at DL), there are many examples in the world (including this board) of folks who become "single minded". Being open to new ideas and possibilities is what makes DL so wonderful. Though we may not agree with the changes or are angry because a personal favorite is removed, the fact that the parks continue to evolve is what keeps us coming back.
I have a hard time accepting some of the changes and do wish for somethings to return to the way the were, but I also look forward to the new experiences these changes bring.

Please post the entire article if you can.

Thank you.

CaptainHook15
04-05-2006, 03:05 PM
Sure thing Findin Mickeys.

Here is the link:

http://www.jimhillmedia.com/article.php?id=1908

Thanks for the kind words. :)

Enjoy!

ralfrick
04-06-2006, 07:59 AM
I thought Marty's letter stated it very well.

I also took instant note of the following phrase from the letter quoted at the beginning of that story, which involved a ride-saving petition:

"I found myself as one of those people always petitioning against the closure of classic attractions such as 'Mr. Toad’s Wild Ride,' 'The World of Motion' and 'Dreamflight!'" (Bold from me)

This confirmed what I have long thought is the case in that many (not all) of the people that howl over changes are not interested in the history as claimed, but merely want to preserve their own personal nostalgia. This person didn't want to preserve the history or they would have wanted the ride that was originally in the Dreamflight building. But no, just a desire to keep what was there the first time they saw it.

We all have special memories related to Disney parks, but that's the great thing about memory, you can remember things even if they change. Plus when they do change, voila, more memories!

Cheers.

DianeM
04-06-2006, 08:30 AM
You seem to imply that it's bad to try to preserve "personal nostalgia", or that there is something wrong with a "desire to keep what was there the first time" we saw it. I have to disagree. Disneyland is in the business of memories. The best thing about Disneyland is the reality that I can go on POTC and experience pretty much what I experienced numerous times as a child, and share that experience with my husband. I can also share that experience with my nephews, who will (hopefully) be able to share it with their children. There are a lot of things from the past that I can remember, but very few that I can re-experience. Memories fade, but Disneyland reminds me of the happiest memories of my childhood. That is so precious, so special... it's worth saving.

Disneyland management knows that they have to strike a balance between new attractions that keep things fresh and preserving memories. If they don't change anything, the park gets stale. If they change too much, people visit the park and feel alienated that it's not the special place they remember. It's a challenging balance, but they do pretty well.

If we could simply remember everything with perfect clarity, we wouldn't need places like Disneyland. But we can't. As we get older, and life's responsibilites get heavier, we sometimes need a reminder of happy events from the past. It's nice to know that Disneyland management is keeping my my memories safe for me, as much as they can.

This confirmed what I have long thought is the case in that many (not all) of the people that howl over changes are not interested in the history as claimed, but merely want to preserve their own personal nostalgia. This person didn't want to preserve the history or they would have wanted the ride that was originally in the Dreamflight building. But no, just a desire to keep what was there the first time they saw it.

We all have special memories related to Disney parks, but that's the great thing about memory, you can remember things even if they change. Plus when they do change, voila, more memories!

Cheers.

ralfrick
04-06-2006, 01:16 PM
You seem to imply that it's bad to try to preserve "personal nostalgia", or that there is something wrong with a "desire to keep what was there the first time" we saw it.
Not at all. If I'm implying anything, it is that people who claim to want to preserve park history when their true motive is preserving their own memories are not being honest. Based on your post, that does not apply to you. I have grown very fond of, and wholeheartedly agree with, the Walt Disney quote that I recently added to my sig, though.

If we could simply remember everything with perfect clarity, we wouldn't need places like Disneyland. But we can't. As we get older, and life's responsibilites get heavier, we sometimes need a reminder of happy events from the past.

I would no more tell someone why they should like DL any more than I would tell them why they should like a certain song. I can only speak for myself. But, speaking for myself, I want new experiences from Disney, and prefer to create new happy memories in the present while remembering happy events from the past. It's the same as the fact that I prefer musicians that imrovise and create new music every show rather than simply replicating what they put onto a CD. It's more adventurous. The memory of the adventure of expeiencing a ride for the first time is the one that I find precious. Plus I've found that trying to recreate a favored memory is usually unsuccessful.

Cheers.

screamin4ever
04-06-2006, 03:49 PM
And human nature is to avoid change at all costs. Much of the furor on these topics comes from people reacting to change or possible change because it is not what they want for whatever reason.

So having the courage to think and change your mind is usually a rare thing.

ralfrick
04-06-2006, 07:26 PM
I would no more tell someone why they should like DL any more than I would tell them why they should like a certain song.
So there's no confusion, that's a preface to the statement that follows, not a response to anyone.

Cheers.