PDA

View Full Version : Fantasmic, Fireworks or Electrical Parade

jldev
04-05-2006, 01:05 AM
I know this is a very tough question but I hope to get some opinions please. We are coming to Disneyland in May when the above attractions only operate in the weekends. We will only have a Friday and Saturday night in Anaheim to try them. I know if we went to the late showing of Fantasmic we could fit in all three but I doubt we could keep our young children up that late. So it seems we will only be able to see two - so which do we choose?

Vegitabeta
04-05-2006, 03:02 AM
The fireworks at DL for the 50th are better than any fireworks I've ever seen out of the three Disney parks I've been to (in my opinion), so I would have that as my first choice. It's really tricky to chose between ELP and Fantasmic! It depens what you have seen before, and what you may be able to see again...personally I think Fantasmic, cos the ELP seems to get around a lot. But it is a really hard decision!

Can you not give you children lots of candy and coffee so that you can watch all three?;)

geoffa
04-05-2006, 05:15 AM
I'm with Vegitabeta on this. If you haven't seen Fantasmic you're in for a terrific treat. The ELP guests so much these days that you could probably catch it on another trip. One other suggestion. Get the kids to have a nap from about 3:30p.m. to 6p.m. then they'll have some energy for the late showing. You know your children best but it's just a suggestion.

Malcon10t
04-05-2006, 05:47 AM
I know this is a very tough question but I hope to get some opinions please. We are coming to Disneyland in May when the above attractions only operate in the weekends. We will only have a Friday and Saturday night in Anaheim to try them. I know if we went to the late showing of Fantasmic we could fit in all three but I doubt we could keep our young children up that late. So it seems we will only be able to see two - so which do we choose?Fireworks and Fantasmic! get my vote. I would also try keeping the kids up to see them.

pmover11
04-05-2006, 06:05 AM
We have two weekend nights, so I'm not worried about seeing all three.

However, is it possible to see the 8:45 Electrical Parade at DCA and then get over to DL for the 9:25 fireworks show (still getting a decent view)? If not, then I am pretty sure we can do the EP at DCA and then see the 10:30 Fantasmic at DL on the first night, then see the fireworks in a good spot the next night.

samkj
04-05-2006, 06:32 AM
You probably would not get a decent view of the fireworks if you go over after the ELP, because everyone else will be trying to do the same thing. DCA usually closes right after the parade, so all those people will be going to DL, my guess is Main St will be standing room only.

Which would you choose with only one night? I have clients who will only have Friday night to see all three since they will not be running the other nights of their stay. This is their first ffamily trip to DLR. They have kids 3 and 6. I recommended Fantasmic and the fireworks, since you should be able to see both.

donaldquackers
04-05-2006, 06:58 AM
Watch the EP near the entrance to the park. Very near the end (a minute or two before) take off get in line to go to DL. If you hurry you will be able to find a last minute standing spot to see the fireworks.

Darkbeer
04-05-2006, 07:13 AM
Note: Disney now has the Electrical Parade go from the Route 66 area to the Sunshine Plaza, and it doesn't start right at 8:45 PM, more like 8:55 PM, all designed to make sure Guests miss the fireworks. Also, Disney has been using the turnstiles as traffic control. You will find very few turnstiles open when the Parade of Dreams is being performed, or when the Fireworks are about to start. Processing folks slowly helps the impact on traffic flow. For example, around 3:30 PM, only 4 turnstiles were open, and lines were past the compass in the middle of the plaza. Around 4 PM, when the Parade had exited Main Street, suddenly 10 gates were open, and the lines got a lot shorter.

So basically you will have a very hard time seeing both the Electrical Parade and the Fireworks.

The best plan is to see the 9:25 Fireworks and the 10:30 Fantasmic!

My preferences.

1. Fireworks

2. Fantasmic!

3. Electrical Parade

bassett1976
04-05-2006, 08:22 AM
I would say to first check out the fireworks.

I would say that the difference from Fantasmic! and ELP would depend on what you want for your kids. My wife and I have been able to get great seats for the ELP down by the wharf and sit in the front row just a few minutes prior to the parade coming by. Fantasmic! you have to sit for hours to get a great seat and then it gets packed for the show and then you have to try and get out. You can also watch the fireworks from the first showing of Fantasmic! so you could always try that. Just remember, after the fireworks getting out of the park is insane.

potterphreak
04-05-2006, 09:19 AM
Friday night:
See the fireworks

Saturday night:
Electrical Parade and then Fantasmic. If your kids conk out, it's ok. My 2 yr. old slept through the 10:30 show, no problem. It's worth it.

Most important, you HAVE to see the Fireworks. After you see that, it's a priority to see EP simply because it's not there all the time. F! is awesome tho. LOL

When I go in May, we changed our dates so we could be there a friday and sat. night just so we could see all 3 and that group will include 2 70 yr. olds and an almost 3 y. old.

charpaul
04-05-2006, 12:35 PM
This is just my opinion - the Remember Show is a must see!! It must be seen from the hub area with a good view of the castle AND the Matterhorn to get the best/full effects!!! The BEST spots are in the street in front of the castle - thisis generally a sitting area for viewing and needs to be staked out at LEAST an hour before the fireworks.

This is a show that will only be around for the 50th Anniversary celebration.... Fantasmic and the Electrical Parade will probably BOTH be around after this year is over. My first priority would be to see the fireworks while you can!!!!

It is possible to see the fireworks AND Fantasmic on the same night if you can get the kids to stay up that late.....

The Electrical parade runs from the back of DCA to the front... so on a busy night it is VERY hard to get from DCA to DL to a good spot in the Hub to view Fireworks... It can be done - but is not easy....

Leap for Joy
04-05-2006, 05:03 PM
...I am pretty sure we can do the EP at DCA and then see the 10:30 Fantasmic at DL on the first night, then see the fireworks in a good spot the next night.
This is what I would do. Have a great trip!

mkcbunny
04-05-2006, 09:29 PM
I would also choose Fantasmic! and Fireworks.

If I had to choose only one, it would depend on when I'd next be returning:

If I thought I'd be able to return in a year or two, I'd probably take Fireworks, because this show will be gone after the 50th.

If this were my only trip for who knows how long and I might not get back for several years, I would take Fantasmic! because Fantasmic! really is not to be missed. I would also choose Fantasmic! if I had a guest with me who was not apt to return to DLR. You can see fireworks other places [though these are indeed special], but you are only going to get Fantasmic! at Disney.

jldev
04-06-2006, 12:48 AM
Thanks so much everyone for your advice. It sounds like our priorities should be the fireworks and Fantasmic - one each night if we can't keep the children up any later. If it turns out we can keep them up for the late Fantasmic then it sounds like we could see the Electrical Parade too. We have not been to Disneyland in 11 years and it's likely to be that long again before we get back to the U.S., so it's a big decision as you can see!!!

Vegitabeta
04-06-2006, 02:48 AM
Thanks so much everyone for your advice. It sounds like our priorities should be the fireworks and Fantasmic - one each night if we can't keep the children up any later. If it turns out we can keep them up for the late Fantasmic then it sounds like we could see the Electrical Parade too. We have not been to Disneyland in 11 years and it's likely to be that long again before we get back to the U.S., so it's a big decision as you can see!!!
Sorry if I'm being nosy, but where are you from?

jldev
04-06-2006, 01:24 PM
No problem, we are from Wellington, New Zealand

Uncle Orville
04-06-2006, 04:58 PM
jldev,
I can't be any much help since we have never been to DL.
One of our show cars used to be owned by a woman with the US Embassy (In Wellington) in the mid 1980's. It says kia ora! :D

jldev
04-07-2006, 12:54 AM
Hi Uncle Orville, "Kia Ora" is a maori greeting meaning "hello, how are you"

Imagineer In Training
04-07-2006, 09:22 AM
People above have said this but im going to repeat it...DO NOT MISS THE FIREWORKS!! they are only for the 5oth and wont be around much longer. Before our trip in December i read alot of posts here on MousePad saying that the fireworks were really worth your whole entry fee into the park. I really didnt believe it, i was of the oppinion that they were JUST fireworks...even after reading the spoilers and everything. But as usual i was VERY wrong!!! they were absolutley amazing!! i was tearing up when walt disney's dedication of the park came up, im sure that if walt were around today he would love the show...its pure disney magic and very refreshing after some just OK fireworks shows in the past. So dont miss it...its a very special opportunity.

As for Fantasmic! or ELP....it would depend on what your family is more into. I prefer fantasmic because im in love with all the music and movie clips and such...but the ELP is a nice bit of Disneyland History as well. I think fantasmic will be around for quite a while still but you never know with parades (although i have no idea why they would get rid of ELP) so i guess the only thing i would say is that if your really really wanting to see ELP at some point..do that first because parades are more likley to "go away" without a lot of notice, especially at DCA where things are starting to change quite a bit. But then again, it really all depends on the people in your family.