PDA

View Full Version : Splash Mountain Single Rider

Ace
04-16-2002, 03:43 PM
yay! I seriously hope that they choose to change the logs into 5-seat configurations.... because I want a single rider line for Splash Mountain! that would be the coolest thing ever, and they'd probably do it if the logs kept leaving with 4 people (which means lines 2 times as long... yuck.)

innerSpaceman
04-16-2002, 04:34 PM
I will only ride single rider if the single rider gets to sit in the front!

tabacco
04-16-2002, 05:10 PM
I'm not sure why Al thinks it would be so hard to get a single rider line in. Just do what they've done on Indy for ages now... send 'em up the exit!

Hyperboy
04-17-2002, 12:29 AM
Originally posted by tabacco
I'm not sure why Al thinks it would be so hard to get a single rider line in. Just do what they've done on Indy for ages now... send 'em up the exit!

A problem I foresee with sending them up the exit is that the exit is already crowded enough -- with the wheelchair line and people looking at photos, it gets a bit squishy!

Uncle Dick
04-17-2002, 01:06 AM
Originally posted by Hyperboy

A problem I foresee with sending them up the exit is that the exit is already crowded enough -- with the wheelchair line and people looking at photos, it gets a bit squishy!
True... but single riders aren't really going to make that much a difference. I mean, I've never seen more than five or six single riders in front of me (on the busiest days) and most of the time I'm the only one. Besides, this is just a temporary fix (or so Al says). I bet it'll work for this summer.

Iceman
04-17-2002, 07:29 AM
I also found it interesting that Al said "most groups are 2 or 3 people", yet apparently he can't see how they would fill up 5 seats at a time??:rolleyes:

merlinjones
04-17-2002, 07:48 AM
The sad thing is that it's already nearly impossible to ride Splash Mtn on a busy day... as I'm not the early to rise type and miss out on the FastPasses. The line is seemilgly the slowest for any E Ticket in the park already. I think the only thing that will save this plan for me is the possibilty of a single rider line.

Niwel
04-17-2002, 09:23 AM
I, too think that sending singles through the exit will work. (I am a proud single rider on Indi, Maliboomer and Soarin) There aren't that many usually, so I don't think it will clog the exit.... they can always incorporate that bridge and when the singes riders come down, have them cross the bridge to be loaded into the cars, that way everyone is loaded in on the same side. This will also leave the unload area free for wheelchairs.
:D

driftwood714
04-17-2002, 09:58 AM
I believe Niwel has the best educated guess as how Attractions Operations will be doing this.

Darkbeer
04-17-2002, 10:00 AM
OK, I was looking for a post earlier, a CM talked about the problems the Single Rider would create if they use the exit, due to the large amount of wheelchairs and SAP's, also stating that the un-load area gets very congested due to the large amount of SAP/Wheelchairs. By the way, this would be a perfect time to experiment with a "FastPass" (i.e. return at a later time, appointment) for SAP's and Wheelchairs, to keep the amount of folks in the area to a "safe" level, since there is not much room in the unloading area.

So, my suggestion is to issue Single Rider Passes, and have them use the same pathway as the regular FastPassers, that is the right side, as the left side is the Stand By line. The CM who collects the FastPasses is just before the "U-turn", about 20-30 feet from the logs. At this point, I would change the lines. The left side would be for "groups of 2 or more", and the right lane now becomes the single rider line, kinda like the queue they had for Rocket Rods. The CM who is loading, takes care of the left side first (groups), then uses the single riders to fill any remaining seats. If you could, after the U-turn, maybe you could make three lines, Single riders, Groups of 2, and Groups of 3 and more. This might help load the logs faster, and keeps the "reverse" traffic flow to a minimum thru the exit queue.

Uncle Dick
04-17-2002, 10:43 AM
Originally posted by Iceman
I also found it interesting that Al said "most groups are 2 or 3 people", yet apparently he can't see how they would fill up 5 seats at a time??:rolleyes:
Ever heard of the "Rocket Rods"? :rolleyes:

Iceman
04-17-2002, 02:31 PM
Yes. Relevance? :rolleyes:

Lani
04-17-2002, 02:55 PM
I also found it interesting that Al said "most groups are 2 or 3 people", yet apparently he can't see how they would fill up 5 seats at a time??:rolleyes: That would seem to make sense Iceman, except that it would require that the CMs find a combination of two parties for each ride unit: one party of two individuals, and a second party of three individuals. Realistically, the CM may face something more like:

1. A couple (2)
2. Another couple. oops, one extra seat left.

3. A family of 3.
4. A couple. Woo hoo, match.

5. A group of four teens. oops, one extra seat left.

See how it could get complicated?

Iceman
04-17-2002, 04:41 PM
I do, of course. I guess my point was that no matter WHAT seating configuration is used there are going to be some empty seats. There have no doubt been doctoral dissertations written on optimizing theme park ride seating, but I'm not familiar with the results.

Ace
04-17-2002, 04:50 PM
what? make the SAPs wait? they deserve front of the line, no wait access.... or not. they should have lines too.

Uncle Dick
04-17-2002, 06:10 PM
Yes. Relevance? :rolleyes:
Um, perhaps you were unaware that the Rocket Rods featured the same 5-person seating arrangement that Splash Mountain allegedly will. Disney discovered, after a few months of operation, that that odd seat was not always getting filled. So they began single rider. This isn't something that Al or myself just made up. It's a fact, discovered by Disney itself. A five person configuration is not going to be as efficient as a four or six person configuration.

MonorailMan
04-17-2002, 07:06 PM
I do, of course. I guess my point was that no matter WHAT seating configuration is used there are going to be some empty seats. There have no doubt been doctoral dissertations written on optimizing theme park ride seating, but I'm not familiar with the results.

Thank You! Science Fair Idea! :)

Back on track, I think Single Rider for SplMtn would be good Idea. :)