PDA

View Full Version : Is the Monte Cristo really that good at the Blue Bayou?

Pages : [1] 2

awinner
04-16-2002, 10:53 AM
Is the Monte Cristo Really that good at the Blue Bayou? Everyone raves about it...is is big enough to split? what else is good there...its been ages since I have eaten there?

tabacco
04-16-2002, 11:03 AM
Mmmmm, Monte Cristo...

I'd say it's big enought to split. Depends on how hungry you are, really.

I personally LOVE the pork. It's usually really tender and those apples it comes with are good too.

I also tried the chicken cavatappi a while ago, and I thought that was excellent as well. A nice light cream sauce.

RideMax Mark
04-16-2002, 11:15 AM
While I enjoy the flavor, I think it's way too greasy!

innerSpaceman
04-16-2002, 12:05 PM
The Blue Bayou Monte Cristo, subject of raves throughout the decades, is obviously loved by many. Personally, I think it's highly over-rated.

SimpTwister
04-16-2002, 12:50 PM
Originally posted by tabacco
I personally LOVE the pork.

Mmmmm... Blue Bayou Pork... Aagghhhhhhh... (Homer drooling)

hbquikcomjamesl
04-16-2002, 01:37 PM
Dunno about their Monte Cristo, but I can tell you from experience that their prime rib is always decent, usually very good, and often superb. Anybody know what's in them there radioactive scalloped potatoes?

80S ERA
04-16-2002, 01:45 PM
I personally like monte-cristo sandwiches. However, I find the one at the Blue Bayou overpriced.

The best one I've had was at Andersen's Pea Soup in Solvang, CA.

At one time, I could have swore that the French Market also served a Monte Cristo for less $$$.

mad4mky
04-16-2002, 01:56 PM
Originally posted by hbquikcomjamesl
Dunno about their Monte Cristo, but I can tell you from experience that their prime rib is always decent, usually very good, and often superb. Anybody know what's in them there radioactive scalloped potatoes?

Yes, I do...I got their recipe for the Scalloped Potatoes this past December. We made them for the first time on Easter Sunday.
My kids were not thrilled. And I have to say that ours turned out extremely spicy. I don't remember them being so spicy at the Blue Bayou...maybe they "tone" them down. Who knows...but they call for Jalepenos in them...not much. But enough to pack a punch!

If you want the exact recipe...check out the easy recipe thread in the Lounge...I posted the whole recipe for everyone on MP to enjoy....

gn2dlnd
04-16-2002, 05:00 PM
Originally posted by 80S ERA

At one time, I could have swore that the French Market also served a Monte Cristo for less $$$.
During the big rehab of Pirates a year or so ago, the French Market did carry the Monte Cristo and it was cheaper. Table service and atmosphere cost, you know.
As far as I'm concerned, if you're not concerned about carbs that day, the Blue Bayou Monte Cristo is as good a heart-attack -on-a-plate as you're likely to ever get at the Magic Kingdom. Be sure not to wait until evening, though, it's only on the lunch menu. Enjoy!

ralfrick
04-16-2002, 05:16 PM
Mother-in law found it to be a tasty delicacy; I found it to be a greasy blob (and I'm generally in favor of grease).

zapppop
04-16-2002, 05:34 PM
Although I haven't had one in a really long time, I enjoy having a Monte Cristo. Sometimes I can't quite finish all of it, so I would say that if you have a smaller appetite, you can split it with someone.

Gemini Cricket
04-16-2002, 08:19 PM
I personally like monte-cristo sandwiches. However, I find the one at the Blue Bayou overpriced.
I think it's cheaper during lunchtime.

It's plenty big to share.

If anyone wants the recipe, I posted it somewhere @ the Disneyland Secrets thread.:)

Hyperboy
04-17-2002, 12:31 AM
My boyfriend and I split one the last time we ate at the Blue Bayou. Besides being overpriced (I mean, its just a battered and fried ham sandwich), we were both nauseous for a few hours on account of how greasy that thing was!!!

Never again! yuck!

80S ERA
04-17-2002, 06:49 AM
Originally posted by gn2dlnd
As far as I'm concerned, if you're not concerned about carbs that day, the Blue Bayou Monte Cristo is as good a heart-attack -on-a-plate as you're likely to ever get at the Magic Kingdom.

True. However, I think a cinnommon roll with extra icing from the Blue Ribbon Bakery is a distant 2nd. Guaranteed to make you dizzy! :eek:

mad4mky
04-17-2002, 08:39 AM
Originally posted by Gemini Cricket

I think it's cheaper during lunchtime.
d.:)

As said earlier, its only on the lunch menu...

Niwel
04-17-2002, 09:16 AM
I went to the Blue Bayou a couple of years ago and decided to try a Monte Cristo since it sounded really good. I ordered one without ham (I don't eat pig) and it was delicious!!

Yes, it is probably the most fattening thing you can order in Disneyland, but if you split a salad with someone, it balances it out.

And as far as the price --- Premium APs (like myself) get a discount :)

gn2dlnd
04-17-2002, 12:45 PM

True. However, I think a cinnommon roll with extra icing from the Blue Ribbon Bakery is a distant 2nd. Guaranteed to make you dizzy! :eek:
and butter...aaaagggghhhh drool, drool, drool (insert Homer Simpson smilie here)

Gemini Cricket
04-17-2002, 07:00 PM
Originally posted by mad4mky

As said earlier, its only on the lunch menu...
I disagree. I could have sworn I had it for dinner once @ BB. Around the early 90's or so. I'm almost positive.
:confused:

SimpTwister
04-17-2002, 10:50 PM
Originally posted by Niwel
Yes, it is probably the most fattening thing you can order in Disneyland, but if you split a salad with someone, it balances it out.

Keep telling yourself that... ;)

(BTW, what kind of dressing is on that salad... Ranch or Bleu Cheese? LOL)

stinkerbell
04-18-2002, 01:31 PM
I personally don't like the Monte Cristo. I know many who do though. I enjoy the jambalaya for lunch. Packs a punch and the portions are huge! Last time I had it as a late lunch, then ate the leftovers for dinner. They packed the leftovers pretty well, no spillage. I encourage people to go there for lunch--costs less than dinner, for the exact same atmosphere. It's not like it gets darker in there for dinner or something.......;) Plus, you'll prob. get away with eating a very lite dinner. ( or leftovers, even better!)

Traci
04-18-2002, 01:38 PM
Ok, I just had the Monte Cristo lunch two weekends ago at the Blue Bayou, and it was WONDERFUL. But, too much to eat at the same time. We got a locker just to keep the leftover, are we crazy or what? :D

But, yes, if you get a salad and you aren't totally starving, you could share. It's yummy!

awinner
04-18-2002, 01:43 PM
ok...so lets say I get the monte cristo to share...any good appitizers to go w/ it...since I don't just want to share that and take up a table...let me know the top choices.

Traci
04-18-2002, 01:45 PM
I can't recommend any appetizers unfortunately since all we had was our main meal. And that was yummy!

Wait a second, I said that already didn't I?

lilblckrncloud
04-18-2002, 04:40 PM
As for the sharing the Monte Cristo, this past weekend two of my friends got one and each only finished half. They agreed they would split one the next time and each get a salad and be totally fine.

Originally posted by awinner
any good appitizers to go w/ it...since I don't just want to share that and take up a table...let me know the top choices.
Well, I love the Sausage Stuffed Mushrooms, and I also recommend getting the salad (Mardi Gras Salad, I think it is called) because the carmelized pecans are delectible. I tried the house dressing this week (it was a roasted red pepper dressing or something like that) and it was very tasty.

I also got a tip from a friend yesterday: the last time she went there she asked for extra pecans and the waiter brought her a small bowl full! Not sure if they charged her for it, but she said it was such a treat. :)

marron-cream
04-19-2002, 11:36 PM
The best Monte Cristo is the 75¢ version sometimes sold at the West Side Diner... it's huge and you can't beat that price :D