PDA

View Full Version : How is the Anaheim Hilton?

awinner
04-16-2002, 10:45 AM
Anyone stayed there? how are the rooms? dining? pool? please let me know, thanks

MickeyD
04-16-2002, 11:15 AM
I've stayed there a couple times. IMO, it's way too expensive. I found the customer service lacking when I was there, one time they were out of roll-a-ways even though we had ordered one ahead of time. Another time the room was supposed to be ready at 4pm, and we couldn't get in it until almost 8pm. But on both of those occasions they weren't even nice about it, KWIM? The only place I've eaten there was at a deli in the basement, that was ok. This probably wouldn't affect you, but I'm always there during huge conventions at the center, and the wait for the elevators is huge at those times. I've never used the pool, but I know napstosgirl has so I'll try to remember to call this thread to her attention. I think the rooms are average.

Personally I'd rather stay at the Ramada, Radisson or Portofino.

Napstosgirl
04-16-2002, 11:19 AM
I have stayed there once, one time with MickeyD. it was nice, i thought, but i don't usually stay in hotels though. The pool area was nice. my best friend and i stayed down in the spa for almost 3 hours. it was really relaxing. we diidn't swim in the pool though. it was too cold but it was a nice atmosphere though. the rooms were nice too and tthe only place i ate there was the deli in the basement also (i think!) it was nice. i hope that helped some!

mad4mky
04-16-2002, 11:50 AM
I have stayed at the Anaheim Hilton twice.

The first time was for a convention I attended (National Down Syndrome Congress Convention)...we had a great room that looked out towards Disneyland. It was great having the conference being held there. I only ate in their one coffee shop, and the food was adequate...nothing to write home about. But, they way the Hilton Hotel treated the kids was the best. They really went all out to make the children's stay great. The elevators were the slowest things on earth...terrible wait. And always so crowded because of the conventioners. Had the moved more quickly, there wouldn't have been so many people trying to get on at once.

The second time I went it was for my honeymoon (to my 2nd husband). We told them we were on our honeymoon so, the clerk, said "Great, I'll upgrade your room!". Ha...some upgrade. We had a terrible room...right by the hall soda machine and elevators. Our room had a sliding glass door, to a very large patio area...with nothing on it...:confused: No pool, no tables, etc. Course we went in November, and it did rain most of the time.
But, because we had mentioned it was our honeymoon, we had sent to us a bottle of champagne, and a tray of luscious chocolate covered strawberries, compliments of the clerk.
We never ate at any hotel dining rooms while there...But the room service was excellent!

BUT...again the elevators were sooooo slow. It could be Christmas next year before you get one!
But, the shuttle to and from Disneyland was effiecient and came often. And their conceirge desk was always helpful....they helped us onto a tour bus to Universal Studios.

So...I think the whole place overall is nice. It could be a bit pricey for what you get...if you plan on just going to Disneyland and hardly spending any time in your room...get a motel room. IF you plan on spending some time at hotel, then I think the place is fairly nice. Not my dream hotel, but nice. The best part is tha it is so close to Disneyland.

MickeyD
04-16-2002, 12:07 PM
I also forgot that what really irked me was what they charged for parking. It was something like $7 a day, which seems ridiculous considering what you are paying for the room.

EandCDad
04-16-2002, 12:19 PM
Paying for parking at hotels in urban areas is fairly common, although I agree it is a total rip-off. Its something to factor in when you choose between the Hilton and say the Residence Inn in Anaheim (which doesn't charge).

I've stayed there twice, once for work and once with the family. Its a pretty standard major hotel chain room. Nothing great, not huge, but clean and comfortable. I would choose the Residence Inn over it because you get a kitchen and a free breakfast and free snacks in the evening.

We ate somewhere in the hotel once I think. Probably at a snack shop, I can't remember if it was good or not.

MickeyD
04-16-2002, 01:22 PM
There are tons of hotels around there that *don't* charge for parking though. We stay at the Raddisson now, they don't (and it's cheaper to stay there.)

80S ERA
04-16-2002, 01:34 PM
The Anaheim Hilton is probaly one of the worst hotel experiences I've ever had.

Here are my experiences:

1. Rude staff - especially if you paid a discounted rate
2. Low ratio of elevators-to-rooms. The hotel seems to have picked up on this. That's why they've installed TV's near elevators.:rolleyes:
3. Most crowded shuttle to Disneyland. Since they are the biggest hotel in the area, they also have the most people to shuttle in and out.

I ended up giving a call to the hotel manager the day after we stayed. He ended up mailing us a complimentary stay for 1 night. :rolleyes:

My advice: there are plenty of better hotels in the area. For example, the Hilton Suites (not to be confused with Anaheim Hilton) has excellent rooms for the cost, but they have no outdoor pool. Also, like E&Cdad said, the Residence Inn is a good choice, especially if you have family. To date, my best stay has been at the Disneyland Hotel.

mad4mky
04-16-2002, 01:49 PM
Originally posted by MickeyD
I also forgot that what really irked me was what they charged for parking. It was something like $7 a day, which seems ridiculous considering what you are paying for the room.

In San Francisco where parking is extremly limited...it is defintly not unusual to have to pay a parking fee also...Like at the St. Francis Hotel on Post St. at Union Square. We paid plenty to stay in a nice room...and had to pay another $20-$25 for parking. I felt I had been ripped off...but that's the norm up here.
And I have seen two hotels on Maui who charge.

And 80's Era...best hotel I have stayed while at DL was The Grand Californian. :D

adriennek
04-16-2002, 04:52 PM
Every year, my family attends a weekend long convention at the Anaheim Convention Center. When I say family, this includes my parents, my in-laws, and several of our friends. We have stayed at the Anaheim Hilton as part of that convention a couple of times-- but only when the Anaheim Marriott has been booked. One year, we had reservations at the Hilton but they FREQUENTLY overbook reservations, so we ended up at the Marriott instead. (I recently spoke with a collegue who worked for Anaheim Hilton for years and she admitted to me that the overbooking is a frequent practice there.) When we were sent to the Marriott, we were lucky. Other people were shuttled across town. Granted, at least one night of their stay got comp'd, but when I am choosing a hotel CLOSE walking distance to the convention center and/or DL, I want a hotel CLOSE walking distance, not shuttled far away!

I have found the service at the Hilton to be lacking and the rooms overpriced for what they are. One other note: this hotel is huge. There are two banks of elevators but the floors are HUGE and depending where your room is, you could end up with quite a hike from the elevators to your room.

If you're looking to stay in that area, I recommend the Anaheim Marriott over the Hilton. The rates are usually less than the Hilton, the rooms are nicer, and it is literally across the street-- not a major street either-- it's just a little street between the hotels in the Convention Center area. (They have awesome comforters on their beds. I had a wonderful sleep when we stayed there in February.)

One note: Next door to the Hilton is the West Coast Anaheim Hotel. I do not want to change the topic of this thread too much, but after a miserable experience there last May, I do NOT recommend WCA over the Hilton. Pay for the Hilton if you have to, before going there.

Adrienne K

adriennek
04-17-2002, 09:45 AM
After I shut down my computer last night, I thought of a couple more comments :)

1- Hilton-- in the past 14 months two people I know- my mom and a friend of mine, were both overcharged at the Hilton. One thing about the Hilton-- unlike other hotels who merely take your CC# to hold your reservation, they actually CHARGE your cc when you make a reservation, even if it's months before your trip. When we went to the Hilton and they were overbooked, my mom asked for a refund of that fee (because we were told we were going to pay the Marriott directly.) The girl gave my mom a "receipt" and told her it was done, but when my mom received her statement covering those dates, she was not refunded the money and had to fight with Hilton to get it back.

A friend was charged for parking even though she didn't have a car at the Hilton. (She had carpooled.)

2- Dining and Pool:

Marriott has two pools- one for each tower of the hotel. One pool is large and partially indoors with an indoor jacuzzi, the other is all outdoors.

There is a moderately priced restaurant that I feel has tasty food and decent portions (although the service isn't anything to write home about, it's fair.) There is a Pizza Hut and a Starbucks in the hotel. The Starbucks also has a deli-like counter service restaurant in it. I would say the Marriott's moderate restaurant is comprable to the Hilton's, but the quality of the counter service/deli is better than at the Hilton.

Adrienne K

There is an expensive restaurant in the Marriott, "JW's" but I've never eaten there.

MickeyD
04-18-2002, 10:47 AM
Originally posted by adriennek
1- Hilton-- in the past 14 months two people I know- my mom and a friend of mine, were both overcharged at the Hilton. One thing about the Hilton-- unlike other hotels who merely take your CC# to hold your reservation, they actually CHARGE your cc when you make a reservation, even if it's months before your trip. When we went to the Hilton and they were overbooked, my mom asked for a refund of that fee (because we were told we were going to pay the Marriott directly.) The girl gave my mom a "receipt" and told her it was done, but when my mom received her statement covering those dates, she was not refunded the money and had to fight with Hilton to get it back.

Ah yes, until you mentioned this, I totally forgot this happened to me. I used one card when I made the reservation, and as mentioned it was charged for one night. Months later when we actually stayed there, another card was used to pay for the whole weekend, and they were supposed to refund my other card. Well, I kept checking my bill for months and they didn't refund the charge. It was a total hassle.

awinner~ I think I read on another thread that you are definitely staying there. I hope you have a better experience than most of us have seemed to have. :)

theg0ldensnitch
04-19-2002, 11:15 AM
I stayed there once and it was a nice hotel. Was a tad bit expensive. Alittle cheaper than the DisneyLand hotel but without the magic.

Lani
04-19-2002, 12:47 PM
What you have may have sensed from the various posts, is that the Anaheim Hilton caters primarily to conventioneers. If you are not going to be in Anaheim for a convention, and if you are not a slave to Hilton loyalty points, there is probably little reason to have to stay there.

Anyway, I recently saw some TV entertainment show that interviewed the two "Hilton girls" -- 19- and 24-year-old heiresses to the Hilton dynasty. While they aren't unattractive, I could not believe their shallowness ("We are SO hot!"). Someone needs to take their trust funds away so they could learn to be human beings... and I can start by not staying at the Anaheim Hilton! LOL. :p

EandCDad
04-20-2002, 08:44 AM
Originally posted by lani

Anyway, I recently saw some TV entertainment show that interviewed the two "Hilton girls" -- 19- and 24-year-old heiresses to the Hilton dynasty. While they aren't unattractive, I could not believe their shallowness ("We are SO hot!"). Someone needs to take their trust funds away so they could learn to be human beings... and I can start by not staying at the Anaheim Hilton! LOL. :p

They were featured in an article in Vanity Fair or one of those magazines a few years back. I agree with you Lani, they are shallow media-whores. The article included interviews with their mother and its not suprising the daughters are the way they are.

Anyway, I probably would never recommend the Hilton out all the hotel options available in the area but I've never had much problem with the service at that hotel but I'm fairly "service undemanding." If they can get me checked in reasonably quickly and keep the room clean, I'm usually fine. Plus, since I stay at alot of different hotels for work, I don't get that bent out of shape on the little inconviences anymore (although I used to). Stuff like that happens at most hotels, I've found.

awinner
04-21-2002, 11:02 PM
well i just came back from the hilton...it was rather nice..not the four seasons, but...the gave us one of their corner suite rooms and access to the exec. flr where they serve appetizers and breakfast. the only complaint was the hallways of the floors were littered w/ tables and chairs resting against the walls.