PDA

View Full Version : Disney Dollar Suggestions

disneyrookie
04-02-2006, 06:02 PM
It's our first time to Disneyland and we're hearing a little about Disney Dollars? How do they work? Where are they used? Are they used for tipping? Thanks for any help!

4 more days and counting!!

hlbtimes2
04-02-2006, 06:53 PM
They work just like regular money- dollar for dollar, and taken anywhere in the park. Most places in DTD are not Disney owned and will not take them. We dont usually use them for ourselves, but our kids often have a few to spend from birthdays and other gifts. One little tip: you can purchase them with a credit card or debit card in the park. Its like getting cash with out the ATM or cash advance fees.

DianeM
04-02-2006, 07:19 PM
It's just a fun way to control your expenditures at Disneyland. You buy "Disney Dollars" at a rate of $Disney Dollar/$1 and spend them at any Disney business. It's also a fun way to give kids Disney spending money. They aren't like traveller's checks, though, they are just like real money - you lose it, it's gone. Personally, I use regular cash and credit/debit cards at the parik.

Have fun on your trip. :-)

It's our first time to Disneyland and we're hearing a little about Disney Dollars? How do they work? Where are they used? Are they used for tipping? Thanks for any help!

geoffa
04-03-2006, 09:27 AM

Disney Dollars are available in various denominations including $1, $5, and $10, and can be purchased from any main entrance ticket booth, from the Main Street Bank in Disneyland, from City Hall, or from various hotels. They are also often included in small quantities "free" as an incentive in some selected vacation packages.

They can be used within the theme park exactly the same as normal cash, and are accepted at all Disney operated hotels, and at all shops and restaurants within thevarious theme parks. They can be exchanged for real currency at any time.:)
Bear in mind that if you use them for tipping the CM can only spend them within Disney.

MamaD
04-03-2006, 12:34 PM
It's also a fun way to give kids Disney spending money.
Yeah that! My mom bought Costco DL passes for her and my 14 yo brother for Christmas, so I bought $20 worth of Disney dollars for him. It was cool!

tod
04-03-2006, 04:27 PM
They can be exchanged for real currency at any time.:)

Bear in mind that if you use them for tipping the CM can only spend them within Disney.

The CM can take that Disney Dollar tip and exchange it for real US money as well.

--t

Imagineer In Training
04-03-2006, 05:12 PM
another nice thing about it is that you can give little kids Disney Dollars for like allowance or something if you know in advance your going to Disneyland or Disney World...and then they can only spend that money at the parks or a disney store..that way they cant go and do what all kids like to do and spend their money on something else.

Mermaid
04-03-2006, 05:58 PM
Just a little side note, when we were there last Sept- they didn't take them at Taste Pilot's Grill in DCA. It had something to do with the ATM thing you order with. That was the only place we found didn't take them!

kimmybear
04-03-2006, 09:34 PM
The CM can take that Disney Dollar tip and exchange it for real US money as well.

--t

can regular guest go and change them back as well?

cstephens
04-04-2006, 02:16 PM
can regular guest go and change them back as well?

Yes, but if it's a large amount, there might be a problem since they don't encourage just buying Disney Dollars on your credit card and then immediately cashing them all in as it's a form of cash advance.

geoffa
04-05-2006, 05:27 AM

--t
Didn't realise that. But why not just use bucks for tips in the first place?
And as for being left with a large amount of Dianey Dollars that need to be exchanged back - don't overbuy them! I know some folk use them for savings (especially for kids) but you can buy what you need in the parks.:)
The whole concept from a marketing point of view is that you'll want to keep one as a souvenir. Think how much Disney makes outta that!

hippiemama
04-05-2006, 07:13 AM
The great grandparents gave each of my kids $30 in disneydollars for our trip last November.
It was great because that was THEIR souveneir money. Period.
When their dollars were gone, they were done shopping and it worked out well for me and dad. lol

GlamRockGwenND
04-05-2006, 05:33 PM
the only reason I would buy any disney money would be for a souveiner

Panzaer
04-05-2006, 09:31 PM
Several months ago my daughter lost a tooth in Disneyland. We were walking by City Hall, when she screamed "I'm loosing a tooth!" (She is 6).
My wife "snuck" away and bought two Disney Dollars to be a special present from the Tooth Fairy's friend Tinkerbell, when she put the tooth under her pillow that night. She thought it was really great.