PDA

View Full Version : Please tell me about Ariel's Grotto

Poptart
04-02-2006, 10:08 AM
I'm going to DLR with my 2 year old niece who already looooves anything princess and also my 4 year old nephew. Is Ariel's Grotto something the 2 year old girl and a 4 year old boy would like?
I haven't been there and I'm a total newbie to Ariel's.

Any details would be greatly appreciated! i.e. atmosphere, any characters that visit, food: quality of food, selection, is priority seating recommended, where is it, etc.

TIA!

kisroo
04-02-2006, 10:19 AM
Oh, I would think that a 4 yr. old boy would be in heaven at Ariel's! The princesses really know how to charm any child. And, I think your niece will enjoy it as well.

The atmosphere inside is pretty cool. Very "under the sea" with great glass sculptures and paintings. The lamps are very cool~glass sea creatures and such. Relaxing greens and blues.

You can find the menu on the disneyland.com site, I believe. We were there for lunch. I remember my niece had spaghetti. I had a caesar-type salad and my mom had fish and chips, I think. Good food generally. No buffet.

We were visited by Cinderella, Belle, Aurora, Ariel, and Jasmine. There were also "pages"~guys in prince gear who stopped by and chatted with us and my niece. The page was pretty cute with her. All the princesses spent enough time to greet, chat briefly, pose and even show my niece how to curtsy in her princess dress. :) Very sweet.

Hope that helps. You might also look in the MousePlanet reviews for other information.

Have a fantastic time!

~kisroo:)

Wendi
04-02-2006, 10:34 AM
My 4-year-old son LOVED Ariel's Grotto! He isn't a big fan of the fuzzy characters, but he likes the face characters, and he's completely smitten by Mulan. We saw Snow White, Jasmine, Ariel, Mulan, and Aurora. If you'd like to see some pix, check out my album - the photos are here (closer to the bottom, look for the ones labeled "Ariel's Grotto"). Max really, really enjoyed the princesses for the most part - he loves Jasmine too, but for some reason didn't want to stop eating his bread to visit with her!!! :p

The food is good, but I wish they'd expand their menu a bit, or maybe at least change out some items once in a while for more variety. I really like their shrimp cobb salad!

Ariel's Grotto Photos (http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/sfquake@sbcglobal.net/album?.dir=4e63&.src=ph)

Poptart
04-02-2006, 12:13 PM
Thanks kisroo and Wendi, that helps a lot! Great pictures too, btw!

Is the restaurant inside DCA? Do we need a ticket to get in?
We were really looking for something inside Disneyland.

ChipmunkStar
04-02-2006, 12:18 PM
Yes, Ariel's Grotto is located inside DCA. It's in the Paradise Pier area, across from Golden Dreams.

And of course, anything inside a Disney park requires seperate admission into the park itself to get in. This is the only Princess themed character meal in either park, though if you visited Goofy's Kitchen at the Disneyland Hotel (no seperate admission necessary) there might be a princess or two to visit.

PirateSmile
04-02-2006, 12:56 PM
The food is great :) I think they still give out free cotton candy after your meal? We saw Chip and Dale, Goofy, Pluto, Minnie, and Ariel was out in the lobby of the resteraunt. I think they changed this, though. I think they should have a great time!

ChipmunkStar
04-02-2006, 01:22 PM
Yes, it's been changed since Captain Mickey's. :)

HILNDKID
04-03-2006, 01:02 PM
My 9 year old daughter and 3 year old son loved it! It is a great place for dinner and the kids will be very happy.

iwannabeanimagineer
04-05-2006, 10:29 AM
I think my daughters would love this place (we're planning to be there 6/1, 6,5 and 6/6). Of course, the princesses tend to be easy on the eyes, so I'm sure I won't mind it.

I looked it up on Disneyland.com and didn't see a menu, but since it mentions a price range ($10-20 per person), I assume it is not a buffet like some other character dining; am I right?

Also, how does Ariel visit the tables since she doesn't have legs? Does she ride the dessert cart?

Dlandmom
04-05-2006, 10:35 AM
If I recall correctly, it's a 3 course meal...you get an appetizer, main course, and a dessert.

Ariel used to sit on a little "cart" designed with a giant shell behind her, etc., so you used to have to walk to her to see her. Now, she's dressed as her human self in a pretty aqua-colored dress and greets you at your table. At least that's how I saw her last time.

hlbtimes2
04-05-2006, 11:15 AM
Try http://www.dlresortinfo.com/DCAMenus/dcamenus.html for the menu.

Be sure you make priority seating arrangements before you go (up to 60 days in advance). We didnt for our trip last month and couldnt get in.

Dlandmom
04-05-2006, 11:46 AM
Could someone please post the number I call to make a Priority Seating reservation. I couldn't find it on the DLR pages or updates (I know, I'm not the most proficient when it comes to searching for stuff). Thanks!

twist1980
04-05-2006, 12:19 PM
Could someone please post the number I call to make a Priority Seating reservation. I couldn't find it on the DLR pages or updates (I know, I'm not the most proficient when it comes to searching for stuff). Thanks!

The number is (714) 781-DINE.

Is it sick that I have that memorized???

Dlandmom
04-05-2006, 12:36 PM
tyty!

I was thinking WDW-DINE, so then I thought maybe DLR-DINE...anyhow, thanks!

Wesley815
04-05-2006, 12:48 PM
tyty!

I was thinking WDW-DINE, so then I thought maybe DLR-DINE...anyhow, thanks!Actually it's (WDW) DLR-DINE... :fez: (kidding) :p

Hope you have fun on your trip! As others have said Ariel's is great for interacting with most of the princess face characters... Goofy's is good if you want the "fuzzy's" (with a couple face characters mixed in).

I'm getting hungry talking about all these places to eat! :)