PDA

View Full Version : Where do I have to stand? [camera trick/Sorceror Hat]

potterphreak
03-30-2006, 09:27 PM
You know that Scorcerer hat by the Sierra Tower of the DLH? Well, I would love to take one of those pictures where it looks like I am wearing it. How far in front of it do I need to stand, and how far from ME does the photographer need to stand? Thanks for any and all help!

Alex S.
03-30-2006, 10:11 PM
Pretty much do it by trial and error. The person with the camera will be able to see when it all lines up.

But if you want to do math, the apparent size of objects (in angular degrees) is:

Apparent Angular Size = (Linear Width/Distance) * F

Linear width and distance should both be in meters. F is a constant but I don't remember the value. So to figure this out you will need to know both the actual width of the Sorcerer Mickey hat and of your head. Then solve this equation:

A/(X+C) = (B/X) where

A = width of the hat
B = width of your head
C = equals distance between you and the hat

Solve for X and that will be the disctance between you and the camera. (Since the *F would have been on both sides of the equation it cancels out.)

Probably easier to do it with trial and error while looking through the camera, though*.

* Plus, I might not be remembering the equation exactly correct.

Alex S.
03-30-2006, 10:24 PM
And now I'm starting to second guess myself. But it is late and I'm tired so I'm not going to think it through again tonight.

potterphreak
03-30-2006, 10:36 PM
Oh
my
good
God!!

LOL Yes, I think trial and error WOULD be better/easier!! I am literally scared of you now!

;-)

:D :D :D :D :D

charpaul
03-31-2006, 08:33 AM
Ignore the algebraic answer. Just have the person who will "wear the hat" stand just west of the newstand in front of ESPN and have photographer stand about 10 feet in front of them and then experiment from there - LOL

The algebra requires too many measurements and has too many variabale to be solved with a simple equation anyway - LOL It is all a matter of perspectives.

Rhiannon8404
03-31-2006, 08:53 AM
The algebra requires too many measurements and has too many variabale to be solved with a simple equation anyway - LOL It is all a matter of perspectives.

Yes, but there are some of us thinking..."Oh, cool! A math problem!" and then wondering if anyone would notice them out there with a tape measure.

Ok, well there's one person out there thinking this.

stan4d_steph
03-31-2006, 11:31 AM
There's always Photoshop...

Mr.Bear
03-31-2006, 01:22 PM
Photo shop takes so long to learn.

Have the person taking the picture stand about 10 feet in front of you. And then via cell phone, have the workers move the Sierra Tower until it is where you want it.
What was so hard about figuring that one out?
Now back to getting Donald to wear pants.

tinksmommy
03-31-2006, 02:07 PM
When I was there last (11/05) there appeared to actually be a mark on the sidewalk for where to stand - maybe it is still there? Not much help, really. Trial and error is a good standard for this one - but be aware that you will need time for that. And time to get the right shot and then to get it again with no one else under the hat to mess up the picture.

kimmybear
03-31-2006, 02:25 PM
i know if you shoot up (like hold the camera lower to the ground) more of the hat will be visible and you won't have to stand so far back from the person... good luck!

Pat-n-Eil
03-31-2006, 03:12 PM
In front of the Rainforest Cafe. That is where we did it.

See: http://www.thompent.com/disney2006/2006dlr%20015.jpg

Tinkermommy
03-31-2006, 03:45 PM
Wow...now I know where to post those math homework help questions I ALWAYS have when my 10-year-old brings her math home...(don't think I'm kidding! :confused: <--that's me when I have to help with math homework).

Alex S.
03-31-2006, 03:57 PM
Wouldn't be the first time we've helped with math home work.

sjcivilady
04-01-2006, 10:57 AM
I truly love you all who have such a great sense of humor and light-heartedness! I have been reading a cruising board a lot, since I'm going on a cruise to Alaska this summer. I can't believe how rude and stuck up some of the posters are. There is a great sense of friendship and helpfulness on Mousepad. thanks, thanks, thanks!!! :) Joan

cfrith
04-01-2006, 01:41 PM
I truly love you all who have such a great sense of humor and light-heartedness! I have been reading a cruising board a lot, since I'm going on a cruise to Alaska this summer. I can't believe how rude and stuck up some of the posters are. There is a great sense of friendship and helpfulness on Mousepad. thanks, thanks, thanks!!! :) Joan

I agree! That's why I like it here! :)