PDA

View Full Version : Disneyland 50th Anniversary Celebration Takes to the Skies with Mickey Mouse!

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5

Darkbeer
03-30-2006, 12:10 PM
Disneyland Resort Press Release

DISNEYLAND 50th ANNIVERSARY CELEBRATION TAKES TO THE SKIES WITH MICKEY MOUSE!

Mickey-Shaped “Happiest Balloon On Earth” to Visit Western U.S. and Canada;First Hot-Air Balloon to Rise Over Grand Canyon

Anaheim, Calif. (March 30, 2006) - - The Disneyland Resort 50th anniversary celebration is taking to the skies with a 100-foot tall, Mickey Mouse-shaped hot air balloon dubbed “The Happiest Balloon On Earth” (a twist on Disneyland’s famous moniker of “The Happiest Place on Earth”). With golden ears high atop its head, the Mickey balloon will travel throughout the western United States and Canada during its 11-week tour. “The Happiest Balloon On Earth” will also become the first hot air balloon to ever rise over the Grand Canyon in Arizona.

“We're excited to bring a touch of the excitement of the continuing 50th anniversary celebration at Disneyland to major cities in the form of ‘The Happiest Balloon On Earth,” states Matt Ouimet, president of the Disneyland Resort. “Our milestone celebration won’t last forever so I hope eveyone can join us while there’s still time.”

The specially created hot air balloon will be seen against such scenic and familiar backdrops as Grand Canyon West (part of the Hualapai Tribal Nation in Arizona), San Francisco’s Golden Gate Bridge, the San Diego city skyline and the International Balloon Museum in New Mexico. The one-of-a-kind balloon is unique in many ways including 6 ft. wide pupils, a 5.5 ft. wide nose and the use of over nine miles of thread to create the special balloon form.

“It is indeed one of the most unique and specialized hot air balloons we have ever piloted,” says Scott Spencer, who along with his wife Laurie, serve as the balloon’s pilots. “When the balloon comes in for a landing it gives a whole new meaning to the phrase ‘ears to the ground!’”

“The Happiest Balloon On Earth,” comprised of Mickey’s familiar smiling face, is topped with an enormous pair of gold “Mickey Mouse Club” style “Mouse Ears” which have served as a favorite Disneyland souvenir for millions of guests since the 1950s. These particular ears, however, span 53 ft. from ear-to-ear and are comprised of approximately 750 Sq. yards of gold fabric.

“This tour is an invitation to everyone to visit us this summer at the Disneyland Resort and experience all the new amazing entertainment, incredible attractions and “golden” touches that make the Disneyland 50th anniversary celebration so spectacular,” says Becky Phelps, 2006 Disneyland Resort Ambassador. “All new adventures and experiences such as “Turtle Talk with Crush,” "Buzz Lightyear Astro Blasters,” “Space Mountain,” and the recently opened “Monsters, Inc. Mike & Sulley to the Rescue!” makes this unbelievable celebration too special to miss.”

More information about “The Happiest Balloon On Earth” tour, the 50th anniversary celebration, plus vacations at the Disneyland Resort is available at www.disneyland.com (http://www.disneyland.com/), by calling (877) 700-DISNEY, or by visiting local travel agents.

Darkbeer
03-30-2006, 12:12 PM
THE HAPPIEST BALLOON ON EARTH
Fun Facts & Statistics

Fun Facts

· The Happiest Balloon On Earth will be the first hot air balloon to ever to rise over the Grand Canyon.
· 2,000 average-sized children could easily fit inside the balloon
· Mickey’s nose is 5.5 ft diameter..... a child could easily stand up inside it.
· If Mickey’s body were added to the balloon he would stand over 200 feet tall!
· The pupils of Mickey’s eyes are over 6 ft in diameter
· If Mickey’s hat was made from real gold it would require more gold than the total mined by the Roman Empire.
· The Happiest Balloon on Earth can fit into a bag which is 1,400 times smaller than the fully inflated balloon.
· On a good weather day, The Happiest Balloon On Earth can fly two miles high!
· Laurie Spencer is the first female pilot of a Disney hot air balloon (her husband Scott is co-pilot)

Balloon Statistics

· Height: 98 ft from ground to top of ears
· Weight: Estimate 410lbs
· Circumference: 168 ft
· Diameter: 53 ft
· Volume: 90,000 cu. ft (body) - 113,000 total
· Lift capacity: 1800lb max gross lift
· Thread Used: Approximately 9 miles of thread!
· Gold Fabric for Mouse Ears: Approximately 750 Sq Yards
· Fabric: Approximately 4744

General Hot Air Balloon Info

· Launch locations are variable and dependant on weather, balloon safety and FAA restrictions
· Weather permitting the balloon can potentially be utilized for thirty minutes to an hour
maximum in the early morning (Sunrise to 10am on a perfect day) or prior to sunset in the summer and potentially mid-day in the fall. In most cases, mid day weather is completely unpredictable due to the heat of the atmosphere
· Once the balloon is inflated there are three ways to operate it
- Static inflation (ground)
- Tethered (Just off the ground)
- Free flight
· The Happiest Balloon On Earth balloon requires a 150' x 150' of an unobstructed footprint and preferably grass
· Two vehicles and a trailer are required to the support tour:
- Chase vehicle and a trailer
- Motor home to use for all ground support, radio and TV remote backdrop etc.
· Manufacturer: Cameron Balloons US (Ann Arbor Michigan)
· Balloon Pilots: Scott and Laurie Spencer, Lighter Than Air America, Inc.

Balloon Tour Locations & Dates

· Tucson, AZ March 30-31
· Phoenix, AZ April 3-4
· San Diego, CA April 6-7
· Fresno, CA April 17
· San Francisco, CA April 19-20
· Sacramento, CA April 25-26
· Vancouver, BC May 2-3
· Seattle, WA May 9-10
· Portland, OR May 15-16
· Salt Lake City, UT May 22-23
· Albuquerque, NM May 25 - 26

Sub Maniak
03-30-2006, 12:14 PM
What a blow up for 50th!:cool:

yellowrosedtxn
03-30-2006, 12:26 PM
Although I think the idea is a cool one, I am HATING that it is going to get even MORE crowded for the summer months!!! I guess I will take what I can when I can and be happy! hahahaha

(As long as they go AFTER Jun 27th, it will make me really HAPPY at the HAPPIEST PLACE ON EARTH!!) Selfish - I know.

Darkbeer
03-30-2006, 12:31 PM
Here is a link to some photos that an University of Arizona Disney fan took.

http://www.u.arizona.edu/~hrsim/disneyballoon.html

junglemom
03-30-2006, 12:58 PM
Anyone know what time in the morning it takes off tomorrow!?! Anyone, anyone???:confused:

Another Dimension
03-30-2006, 01:39 PM
Balloon Tour Locations & Dates

· Tucson, AZ March 30-31
· Phoenix, AZ April 3-4
· San Diego, CA April 6-7
· Fresno, CA April 17
· San Francisco, CA April 19-20
· Sacramento, CA April 25-26
· Vancouver, BC May 2-3
· Seattle, WA May 9-10
· Portland, OR May 15-16
· Salt Lake City, UT May 22-23
· Albuquerque, NM May 25 - 26

....ummmm Disneyland?!? The balloon isn't even going to come home?
:mad:

DangerMouse
03-30-2006, 01:44 PM
I would love to know where the launch is in Phoenix as well. They aren't very specific in their information, are they?? :confused:

TikiGeek
03-30-2006, 01:56 PM
(jumping up and down like an idiot) OMG! OMG! OMG! Does anyone know where it will be in San Diego? I would love to take some photos. :)

Leap for Joy
03-30-2006, 02:25 PM
My friends have been calling me all day about this! Of course, THIS would be the day that I'm stuck at work until 8pm! :crying:

junglemom
03-30-2006, 02:49 PM
My friends have been calling me all day about this! Of course, THIS would be the day that I'm stuck at work until 8pm! :crying:
It takes off again in the morning from La Mariposa, I think that is near Speedway and Houghton. I just don't know when!!!

thatsototallyrocks
03-30-2006, 02:56 PM
The balloon is launching from La Marisposa between 5 and 6 am from the driving range field tomorrow 3/31. 1501 N. Houghton rd, tucson, az

MsYumiBr
03-30-2006, 04:33 PM
Gosh. San Diego is so big! It does say San Diego skyline. I hope that means the bay. I'll hang out at Harbor Island during lunch with my camera. The balloons usually fly through Del Mar though. One can only hope they fly by Downtown! I can also call the building manager and see if they can spot them next Thursday. This should be fun!

junglemom
03-30-2006, 05:03 PM
The balloon is launching from La Marisposa between 5 and 6 am from the driving range field tomorrow 3/31. 1501 N. Houghton rd, tucson, az
You so totally rock!

Duuuuuddde!

JDBlair
03-30-2006, 06:33 PM
I would love to know where the launch is in Phoenix as well. They aren't very specific in their information, are they?? :confused:

Me too!!!!! I love the University of Arizona pictures and want to see it for myself here in PHX! Anyone know where in PHX it's going to be??? :confused:

evrythngwmn
03-30-2006, 08:05 PM
Although I think the idea is a cool one, I am HATING that it is going to get even MORE crowded for the summer months!!! I guess I will take what I can when I can and be happy! hahahaha

(As long as they go AFTER Jun 27th, it will make me really HAPPY at the HAPPIEST PLACE ON EARTH!!) Selfish - I know.

I agree. Please make them stop.

Leap for Joy
03-30-2006, 08:07 PM
A W E S O M E ! ! !
Thank you!!!

my2lalas
03-30-2006, 09:26 PM
This is cool! We're in the Phoenix area and were wondering if anyone had info on where it's going to be? Can't seem to find out anything specific to time or place. Thanks!

DrewR
03-31-2006, 04:27 AM
I'm quite surprised to see that the balloon will not be at the Albuquerque International Balloon Festival in Albuquerque, New Mexico. The festival is Oct 6-15 and features more than 500 hot air balloons from all over the world. It seems like this would be great advertisment for Disney!! (I realize that Oct is officially after the 50th but.....)

Bolivar
03-31-2006, 08:09 AM
They mention the Golden Gate Bridge but I can't imagine a balloon flying near it. The best I could come up with would be a tethered flight from Crissy Field. Finding a landing place would be an issue if they flew around there. Napa is the typical ballooning place around here. And mentioning that makes me think of the balloon scene in Soaring over California. They should reshoot that with this balloon in the shot.

BGLeduc
03-31-2006, 08:35 AM
I'm quite surprised to see that the balloon will not be at the Albuquerque International Balloon Festival in Albuquerque, New Mexico. The festival is Oct 6-15 and features more than 500 hot air balloons from all over the world. It seems like this would be great advertisment for Disney!! (I realize that Oct is officially after the 50th but.....)

While it is not on the schedule, I would not bet against it being back for the Fiesta.

Having said that, I don't recall the last time that we had a Disney balloon here. I am sure that they ahve been here, but I can't recall seeing them recently.

Brian

SneakyStella
03-31-2006, 08:36 AM
You're right, Crissy Field is what they have in mind for SF but it is not set in stone yet. I'm not sure about it being tethered or not. I live in Napa so when I read Darkbeer's post my first thought was that it had to be coming to Napa. I was quite surprised that it wasn't on the list of cities. It works out anyhow as I will be in San Francisco on those dates. DS2 is scheduled for surgery on April 20th at UCSF Childrens. You can see the GG Bridge from the oncology patient rooms. I will for sure have to get a close-up view of take-off or landing, but it will be pleasant to watch it throughout the morning from Quinn's room.

Wendi
03-31-2006, 08:42 AM
OMG, I can't wait for it to come to Sacramento!!! The pictures are fantastic, I wanna see it in person! Thanks for sharing this info with us.

Alisonsmom
03-31-2006, 09:42 AM
I have tried to find more information. What exactly is going on for these tours? Is there a time schedule to be there? It states there are attractions and "Golden Touches". But when and where? I know it states the city but how do you narrow it down!? Help I really want to see it!

samkj
03-31-2006, 08:32 PM
Stella, my prayers will be with Quinn that day for a succesful surgery. Having the Disney balloon in town that day of all days, must be a sign that all will go well. I'm a cancer survivor myself, and I could begin to imagine having one of my children go through it. (((HUGS)))