PDA

View Full Version : Disneyland crowd meter?

moriaman14
03-29-2006, 06:58 AM
I think disneyland should make a crowd meter of some sort. There are so many times that I have planned on going to disneyland and wondered about the crowds. If they had a meter I could get an idea of how crowded disneyland has been for the week and how crowded it will be. I dont think it would be hard to do; they know how many people cross into the park so they could just post that online. I think it would be a great help.

sandiegorob
03-29-2006, 07:59 AM
Check out the provided link:
http://www.scottware.com.au/theme/feature/crowds.htm

h_lehmann
03-29-2006, 09:02 AM
Check out the provided link:
http://www.scottware.com.au/theme/feature/crowds.htm
That page has been around for a while now, and there's no indication that it's even been updated. While it's certainly helpful, especially to people that aren't regular visitors, I wonder how much the yearly attendance graph has changed in the last few years, what with the large number of annual pass holders. Ten years ago we would go on a Wednesday in January and *every* attraction was a walk-on; no lines at all the entire day. Now, the attendance doesn't drop down nearly as much during the off season.

h_lehmann
03-29-2006, 09:06 AM
Disney could easily display a Crowd-O-Meter (tm) on their web page, since I'm sure they have real-time data available from turnstiles going in and out of both parks. Unfortunately, it probably wouldn't be in their best interest to do so, since I think it would probably keep more people away during crowded periods than it would attract during slow periods.

stan4d_steph
03-29-2006, 10:21 AM
Perhaps they could adopt something like the terror alert system.

"Crowd levels are currently at Mickey-pants red. Proceed at own risk."

moriaman14
03-29-2006, 10:59 AM
Since it is feared that releasing this information would greatly affect business(people wont come when its crowded and hotel prices will fluctuate as will the competitions plans) releasing a crowd meter to season passholders only might work. Since they have already baught a pass coming to disneyland or not wont affect how much money disneyland gets.

kristint
04-01-2006, 12:16 PM
Perhaps they could adopt something like the terror alert system.

"Crowd levels are currently at Mickey-pants red. Proceed at own risk."
:) :)

Klutch
04-01-2006, 02:35 PM
I don't think most tourists would be aware of it. I still talk to people who say, "I'd only visit a Disney Park on Christmas day, when there was nobody there". They're consistently shocked when I bring them into reality about Christmas day. :eek:

Minnie66
04-01-2006, 05:16 PM
I know this has been asked before (so please don't jump on me) but when crowds are so large that the resort starts limiting people I have a question. It looks like hotels are starting to fill up during our stay in June so I'm assuming the crowds will be large. If they limit crowds and you are already in the park but want to leave for a rest and return later, will you still be admited with a hand stamp or will it be dependant on what the count is then? Basically, if I get there in time to get in, will I still get back in or am I considered a "new" number.

Malcon10t
04-01-2006, 05:26 PM
I know this has been asked before (so please don't jump on me) but when crowds are so large that the resort starts limiting people I have a question. It looks like hotels are starting to fill up during our stay in June so I'm assuming the crowds will be large. If they limit crowds and you are already in the park but want to leave for a rest and return later, will you still be admited with a hand stamp or will it be dependant on what the count is then? Basically, if I get there in time to get in, will I still get back in or am I considered a "new" number.Your exit is counted to allow for new people to enter. They do not know if you will return. So, if you leave on a capacity day, you do run the chance of not being able to return. HOWEVER, except for New Years Eve, I have never heard of the park being at capacity at night. Generally, after 5pm, the crowds lessen and you would be able to return. The peak capacity is usually between 11am and 2pm.

SeansMom
04-02-2006, 10:24 AM
That page has been around for a while now, and there's no indication that it's even been updated. While it's certainly helpful, especially to people that aren't regular visitors, I wonder how much the yearly attendance graph has changed in the last few years, what with the large number of annual pass holders. Ten years ago we would go on a Wednesday in January and *every* attraction was a walk-on; no lines at all the entire day. Now, the attendance doesn't drop down nearly as much during the off season.

I agree...this link seems to be sadly out of date. The barrage of 50th ads have brought people in that haven't been in years (or ever) makes it even less reliable.

So, what will they do this next Spring/Summer to attract the crowds?