PDA

View Full Version : Food and Wine weekends at the resort [merged]

Pages : [1] 2

cstephens
03-28-2006, 01:06 PM
Disney has officially announced Food and Wine weekends at the DLR, to take place April 28 to May 21. Some of the things sound really interesting. The Napa Rose cooking school sounds cool, but a bit pricey.

Here's the link (http://www.register123.com/event/profile/web/index.cfm?PKwebID=0x422573ea3).

Alex S.
03-28-2006, 01:14 PM
Yay.

I was starting to doubt the source who had given us that information. I know things change but I still don't like putting information in the park update that turns out to be wrong. Glad this wasn't.

Might make MouseAdventure in there on April 30th more interesting.

twist1980
03-28-2006, 03:28 PM
Wow, all of the events sound great! I can't wait to hear reviews of everything after. Makes me wish I was going in May instead of June!

mckygirl99
03-28-2006, 04:10 PM
I got to go to the one at EPCOT last year so I am excited to see how this one will turn out! YEAHHHHHHHHH!

Opus1guy
03-28-2006, 04:18 PM
I was given a sneak-peek of the programs a couple of weeks ago. They looked yummy! :)

And then when they told me the dates...my heart dropped because I leave town on April 26th and will be gone for most of the event dates. :(

Murphy's Law, I guess.

Opus expects detailed reports, everyone! ;)

Tempt your taste buds with appetizer-sized treats of Heirloom Tomato Salad, Lobster and Pepper Jack Quesadillas, Santa Maria Tri-Tip and more! Specialty items range in price from only $4 - $5 each and are available at one of the Marketplaces located in Disney's California AdventureŽ Park.

On those few days I can attend...I'm hoping for a taste of that Santa Maria Tri-Tip, at least! Oh. And a little vino. :)

cstephens
03-28-2006, 06:50 PM
In thinking about this some more, it would cost us $500 to attend the Napa Rose cooking class. For that kind of money, we could instead have a really nice dinner at Napa Rose and even invite two friends. OK, so no go on the class for us. Guess we'll just do the per plate thing, though that kind of thing can add up too.

tod
03-28-2006, 07:11 PM
There are over 1300 commercial wineries (http://www.wineinstitute.org/communications/statistics/commercial_bondedwinery.htm) in California, so I can't say I'm surprised that every winery (http://www.silveradovineyards.com/html/winery.html) isn't involved.

--t

Alex S.
03-28-2006, 08:31 PM
I haven't looked through all the details yet. Is Fess Parker's involved?

03-29-2006, 04:44 AM
In thinking about this some more, it would cost us $500 to attend the Napa Rose cooking class. For that kind of money, we could instead have a really nice dinner at Napa Rose and even invite two friends. OK, so no go on the class for us. Guess we'll just do the per plate thing, though that kind of thing can add up too.

I'm hoping someone will do the $250 blowout cooking school experience and report on it. The price seems steep and the amount of information given on the site requires the consumer to go on almost blind faith. I'd do the $75 Lunch-and-Learn, myself.

kiwifuz
03-30-2006, 09:11 PM
I'm hoping they do this again in the future, but feature more of California's beer offerings. Beer geeks know So Cal as a beer mecca. At least they I'd definitely be able to convince my DH to attend. :)

Another Dimension
03-31-2006, 10:55 AM
It sounds like a lot of fun.
I hope it's very successful and the weekends, offerings and activities expand in the future.

Good for DCA!! :cool:

Mermaid
04-03-2006, 04:11 PM
I read about this in the update. For those who have been to Epcot's or are just in the know- two questions: In the update it mentioned $4-5 per item and then listen food station 1, 2 3 and 4 with three items at each station. SO, is it 5 bucks for a sample of all three things at the station, or $5 per item? And- how big are the samples? Like could this be a meal? Thanks!!

Drince88
04-03-2006, 04:17 PM
I read about this in the update. For those who have been to Epcot's or are just in the know- two questions: In the update it mentioned $4-5 per item and then listen food station 1, 2 3 and 4 with three items at each station. SO, is it 5 bucks for a sample of all three things at the station, or $5 per item? And- how big are the samples? Like could this be a meal? Thanks!!
The prices at the Epcot event were generally lower than that, and for just one item. This page on All Ears Net (http://www.allearsnet.com/tp/ep/fw05/fw05c.htm) has the offerings and prices for Epcot's event in 2005.

olegc
04-13-2006, 09:45 AM

not talking about price - but if form holds true this is $5 per sample, and the samples are simialar to tapas - an appetizer for one. So two or three samples would be considered a meal. (ok, if you indulge then 4). But - you can see how this adds up...

Disney Vault
04-15-2006, 07:12 PM
I can't wait to see how this turns out. Hope everyone going takes a million pictures for those of us who can't make it.

The Lovely Mrs. tod
04-24-2006, 11:16 AM
Disney has officially announced Food and Wine weekends at the DLR, to take place April 28 to May 21. Some of the things sound really interesting. The Napa Rose cooking school sounds cool, but a bit pricey.

Here's the link (http://www.register123.com/event/profile/web/index.cfm?PKwebID=0x422573ea3).
It is a bit pricey, but they are giving the PAP discount. How do I know this? Just ask me...;)

-TLMt

cstephens
04-24-2006, 01:59 PM
It is a bit pricey, but they are giving the PAP discount. How do I know this? Just ask me...;)

Cool. So you're going to post a full report, hopefully?

I think I've managed to convince my husband that we'll pretend to be attending the seminar and instead use some of the money for dinner at Napa Rose instead, probably later in the summer.

KarenW2
04-25-2006, 01:11 AM
Hi CS,
I think you've got the right idea about the Food & Wine weekends! We were surprised they were so expensive, especially since this will be the first time they'll be having them at the DLR.

Have you tried doing the "Chef's Counter" at Napa yet? If not, you've got to try it!! We did it the first time for my hubby's birthday on 2-8 and we had Chef Andrew. We took my cousin and her husband there last weekend, for our second time at the "Counter" and their first time at Napa. We had Chef Jeffrey and had an excellent time then too!!

CJ asked if we'd all been there before, we told him we had several times, but it was the first time for the others. We had been given the menues, were looking thru them, when he asked if we'd be willing to trust him with our meal choices that night. We said sure (thinking he was joking), and that's when he said, "OK, put down your menues!! :eek:

He then asked if we had any food allergies, foods we didn't like or couldn't eat, etc.. The rest of the night we were surprised, with different choices for each course, for all of us. Since my cousin wasn't driving (her hubby was), she had the wine pairings with each course. Mickey presented them and told us something about each wine as he poured it.

When it was time for dessert, they gave us dessert menues and we ordered our choice of desserts, again, each one had something different. When the bill came, since we had the same number of courses, they charged us the price for the Vintner's Menu. My cousin had a lower charge on her wines, as they were part of her dinner.

A great couple of hours spent with good friends/family, good conversation and great food! I highly recommend it!! :D

The Lovely Mrs. tod
04-25-2006, 09:22 AM
Cool. So you're going to post a full report, hopefully?

Sure...if anyone's really interested..."and then I picked up an asparagus spear..." ;)

-TLMt

cstephens
04-25-2006, 09:57 AM
Sure...if anyone's really interested..."and then I picked up an asparagus spear..." ;)

-TLMt

If it involves asparagus spears, then definitely! :)

(Yeah, I'm one of those weirdos who generally enjoys hearing about other people's dining experiences.)

Circarama
04-25-2006, 09:25 PM
I just reserved dinner for 2 for the Winemakers Dinner at the Vineyard Room on Friday, May 19th, with Scott Mcleod and Rebecca Chapa - Francis Ford Coppola’s Winery: “The Rubicon Estate”
SWEEEEEEET!!:D

AVP
04-25-2006, 09:36 PM
Have you tried doing the "Chef's Counter" at Napa yet? If not, you've got to try it!! Thanksgiving 2003. One of the best meals I've ever had.

AVP

olegc
04-28-2006, 01:30 PM
OK - first-shot attendees. Any news/updates/reviews on the happenings with the F&W at DCA?:)

AVP
04-28-2006, 06:18 PM
Here's a quick overview of what to expect if you go to DCA this weekend:

If you are familiar with the Epcot Food and Wine Festival, you may enter DCA and wonder if the event was cancelled. There are *no* signs outside or right inside DCA announcing it, the three open turnstiles were out of event programs when we entered, and I don't think there's even mention of it in the park map. The DCA portion of the event is centered in the Golden State district, specifically Bountiful Valley Farmers Market, Lucky Fortune Cookery and the Golden Vine Winery, and you won't see an event sign until you reach the Winery.

Instead of little kiosks all over the park, there are just two food service locations ("Festival Marketplaces") involved in this: Bountiful Valley Farmers Market and the Lucky Fortune Cookery. The Golden Vine Winery patio is the location for the culinary demonstrations; wine, beer and spirit seminars; guest sommelier edication series; wine shop and event store. (Logo merchandise)

Festival Marketplaces

Bountiful Valley Farmers Market is offering three dishes:

* Grilled artichoke with lemon aioli - $4
* White cheddar cheese soup with bacon crumble in a bread bowl - $4
* Strawberries in creme fraiche - $5

Lucky Fortune Cookery is offering nine dishes, three at each of the three windows (if you ask nicely, you can order any of the dishes at any of the windows, rather than waiting in line two or three times):

* Lobster quesadilla with pepper jack cheese - $5
* Chicken skewers with wild mushroom / chardonnay sauce - $5
* Mixed berries with chaedonnay sabayon creme - $4

* Beef skewer with chipotle-orange sauce - $5
* Tomato salad with goat cheese - $4
* Bruchetta with five-olive tepanade - $4

* Beer-batter halibut with remoulade - $5
* Knockwurst with peppers and amber lager mustard sauce - $4
* Peach cobbler with vanilla bean ice cream - $4

Each of the four menu groupings has a selection of wine pairings at $3 each, or beer samples at $3.25 each. All locations are offering the highest Annual Passholder discount level, which means Premium Passholders save 15% on checks of $10 or more.

Culinary Demonstrations

These are held on the "upper terrace" of the Golden Vine Winery (meaning the main dining patio), and are complimentary. Seating is first-come, first-serve, and is extremely limited. (If you've eaten there, you know that it's a small patio - with the demo kitchen setup, it can hold fewer than 40 people) Demonstrations are at 11:00 a.m., 12:30, 2:15 and 3:45 p.m. each Friday, Saturday and Sunday.

Wine, Beer and Spirit Seminars

These are held on the lower patio (the event guide has the wrong location) of the Golden Vine Winery, and are also complimentary, though you must be 21 or older with valid ID to attend. These seminars can hold about twice as many people as the culinary demonstrations. Seminars are at 11:00 a.m., 12:30, 2:00 and 3:30 p.m. each Friday, Saturday and Sunday.

Wine Shop and Festival Merchandise

The lower patio of the Golden Vine Winery also has a small event shop, where you can purchase the wines featured in the marketplaces, as well as event-logo souvenirs. Just as was the practice when the Mondavi store was operating inside DCA, wines purchased will be sent to a package pickup location (this time, the Annual Passholder processing center) for you to claim on your way out of the park.

The logo merchandise is pretty basic, and includes a baseball cap, t-shirt, polo shirt, apron, pin, wine glass, shot glass (toothpick holder) and pin, all with the event logo. There is a pretty nifty wooden pepper grinder, shaped like a wine bottle and etched with the event logo for $60. The park is also offering more generic food-theme merchandise, including the "Cooking with Mickey" cookbook and Mickey Mouse bottle openers and stoppers usually available at the Markethouse in Disneyland.

Premium Events
Celebrity Chef Dinners
Winemaker Dinners
Lunch and Learn
Napa Rose Cooking School
Guest Sommelier Education Seminars

While sales for the hard ticket meal and class offerings have been good, few of the dates are yet sold out. (Though the first Winemaker Dinner did sell out, and the first celebrity chef dinner was served to a full house)

If you find that you have the time to attend one of these events, but did not make advance reservations, same-day and next-day reservations can be made at the event store at the Golden Vine Winery.

Bon appetit!

AVP
04-28-2006, 06:20 PM
I posted this on the other thread, but I'll copy it here too:

Here's a quick overview of what to expect if you go to DCA this weekend:

If you are familiar with the Epcot Food and Wine Festival, you may enter DCA and wonder if the event was cancelled. There are *no* signs outside or right inside DCA announcing it, the three open turnstiles were out of event programs when we entered, and I don't think there's even mention of it in the park map. The DCA portion of the event is centered in the Golden State district, specifically Bountiful Valley Farmers Market, Lucky Fortune Cookery and the Golden Vine Winery, and you won't see an event sign until you reach the Winery.

Instead of little kiosks all over the park, there are just two food service locations ("Festival Marketplaces") involved in this: Bountiful Valley Farmers Market and the Lucky Fortune Cookery. The Golden Vine Winery patio is the location for the culinary demonstrations; wine, beer and spirit seminars; guest sommelier edication series; wine shop and event store. (Logo merchandise)

Festival Marketplaces

Bountiful Valley Farmers Market is offering three dishes:

* Grilled artichoke with lemon aioli - $4
* White cheddar cheese soup with bacon crumble in a bread bowl - $4
* Strawberries in creme fraiche - $5

Lucky Fortune Cookery is offering nine dishes, three at each of the three windows (if you ask nicely, you can order any of the dishes at any of the windows, rather than waiting in line two or three times):

* Lobster quesadilla with pepper jack cheese - $5
* Chicken skewers with wild mushroom / chardonnay sauce - $5
* Mixed berries with chaedonnay sabayon creme - $4

* Beef skewer with chipotle-orange sauce - $5
* Tomato salad with goat cheese - $4
* Bruchetta with five-olive tepanade - $4

* Beer-batter halibut with remoulade - $5
* Knockwurst with peppers and amber lager mustard sauce - $4
* Peach cobbler with vanilla bean ice cream - $4

Each of the four menu groupings has a selection of wine pairings at $3 each, or beer samples at $3.25 each. All locations are offering the highest Annual Passholder discount level, which means Premium Passholders save 15% on checks of $10 or more.

Culinary Demonstrations

These are held on the "upper terrace" of the Golden Vine Winery (meaning the main dining patio), and are complimentary. Seating is first-come, first-serve, and is extremely limited. (If you've eaten there, you know that it's a small patio - with the demo kitchen setup, it can hold fewer than 40 people) Demonstrations are at 11:00 a.m., 12:30, 2:15 and 3:45 p.m. each Friday, Saturday and Sunday.

Wine, Beer and Spirit Seminars

These are held on the lower patio (the event guide has the wrong location) of the Golden Vine Winery, and are also complimentary, though you must be 21 or older with valid ID to attend. These seminars can hold about twice as many people as the culinary demonstrations. Seminars are at 11:00 a.m., 12:30, 2:00 and 3:30 p.m. each Friday, Saturday and Sunday.

Wine Shop and Festival Merchandise

The lower patio of the Golden Vine Winery also has a small event shop, where you can purchase the wines featured in the marketplaces, as well as event-logo souvenirs. Just as was the practice when the Mondavi store was operating inside DCA, wines purchased will be sent to a package pickup location (this time, the Annual Passholder processing center) for you to claim on your way out of the park.

The logo merchandise is pretty basic, and includes a baseball cap, t-shirt, polo shirt, apron, pin, wine glass, shot glass (toothpick holder) and pin, all with the event logo. There is a pretty nifty wooden pepper grinder, shaped like a wine bottle and etched with the event logo for $60. The park is also offering more generic food-theme merchandise, including the "Cooking with Mickey" cookbook and Mickey Mouse bottle openers and stoppers usually available at the Markethouse in Disneyland.

Premium Events
Celebrity Chef Dinners
Winemaker Dinners
Lunch and Learn
Napa Rose Cooking School
Guest Sommelier Education Seminars

While sales for the hard ticket meal and class offerings have been good, few of the dates are yet sold out. (Though the first Winemaker Dinner did sell out, and the first celebrity chef dinner was served to a full house)

If you find that you have the time to attend one of these events, but did not make advance reservations, same-day and next-day reservations can be made at the event store at the Golden Vine Winery.

Bon appetit!