PDA

View Full Version : Wednesday -May 10th sold out?

Pages : [1] 2

miss bianca
03-27-2006, 07:38 AM
What is going on at the Disney Hotels Wednesday 5/10?
PPH and DLH are sold out for that night and the Grand is
$460.00 for a wednesday night? - The next day, Thursday is $322.00.
And Thursday and Friday are not sold out at the other Hotels.
Weird!

I checked the convention schedule and didn't see anything to high in numbers.

Anyone know??

Duchess mermaid
03-27-2006, 08:38 AM
Grad night is may 11th.
We're going on our trip the 10th through the 15th of may. I don't think the neighboring hotels are that busy.

miss bianca
03-27-2006, 08:41 AM
okay now I'm worried - will the day of May 11th be super crowded then?

Duchess mermaid
03-27-2006, 08:59 AM
I went during the day of a grad night before and it was fine. My uncle that lives in SoCal said it was the slowist he'd ever seen in. But you never know. I'm believing its not going to be busy... (positive thinking)...

Karin
03-27-2006, 11:52 AM
Grad night is may 11th.

Last I knew, Grad Night wasn't a reason for the hotels to be busy. The kids are bussed in and bussed out, no staying overnight. Besides, they don't come in til around 9 or 10 at night and stay til 4 or 5 in the AM. No need for a room. No chance of hanky-panky for the teenagers.

tmptink
03-27-2006, 11:57 AM
Last I knew, Grad Night wasn't a reason for the hotels to be busy. The kids are bussed in and bussed out, no staying overnight. Besides, they don't come in til around 9 or 10 at night and stay til 4 or 5 in the AM. No need for a room. No chance of hanky-panky for the teenagers.

Don't they come when the park is close which I think they close at 9pm on the 11th. I am coming that time too. It is good to know that it is going on that week. I saw grad nights were in June.

JookyG
03-27-2006, 12:17 PM
I saw a post in another thread about this same thing. The poster mentioned that the following week, specifically Wednesday (May 17), the hotel rates were exceeingly high as well. What's up with these Wednesdays? I tried to book DLH on May 10th a few months ago, and it was sold out then, but there was availability for the following Thurs - Sun. Strange.

TP2000
03-27-2006, 12:22 PM
I saw a post in another thread about this same thing. The poster mentioned that the following week, specifically Wednesday (May 17), the hotel rates were exceeingly high as well. What's up with these Wednesdays? I tried to book DLH on May 10th a few months ago, and it was sold out then, but there was availability for the following Thurs - Sun. Strange.

Grad Nites are on Thursdays in May this year, as well as Wednesdays and Thursdays later in June. And the first 3 or 4 Grad Nites each year are almost exclusively for the out of town schools; Nevada, Arizona, NorCal, even Oregon and Baja California show up. They bus themselves down the day before, check in to hotels en masse, and then party-party-party until their Grad Nite the following evening. The local schools don't start showing up until the Grad Nites of early and mid June, and that's a different scene entirely.

But in May, rowdy teenagers celebrating their pending graduation will be running around the hotels everywhere on Wednesday night and into Thursday afternoon. There's generally one chaperone for every 30 kids. And yes, the Parks will be busy on Thursdays in May because of it. They have pre-party "Grad Nite Blast Off" events in DCA before the kids move over to Disneyland.

At least that has been my experience for the past several years. And it would certainly explain why the Disney hotels are booked and extra expensive for Wednesday nights in May.

And then of course in May they have the even more dreaded "Junior High Grad Days". That is a daytime event where 8th graders are bussed in to spend the day at Disneyland. They roam the park in boisterous packs without adult supervision and generally annoy everyone as only a big group of un-chaperoned 8th graders can do.

Malcon10t
03-27-2006, 12:28 PM
Grad Nites are on Thursdays in May this year, as well as Wednesdays and Thursdays later in June. And the first 3 or 4 Grad Nites are almost exclusively for the out of town schools; Nevada, Arizona, NorCal, even Oregon and Baja California show up. They bus themselves down the day before, check in to hotels en masse, and then party-party-party until their Grad Nite the following evening.

Rowdy teenagers celebrating their pending graduation will be running around the hotels everywhere on Wednesday night and into Thursday afternoon. And yes, the Parks will be busy on Thursdays in May because of it. They have pre-party "Grad Nite Blast Off" events in DCA before the kids move over to Disneyland.Not sure about out of state, but Northern CA leaves the morning of Grad Nite, arrives 6-8pm. Some schools do Medival Times, while others do the Blast Off. *IF* schools stay in the hotels, they stay Thursday night/Friday AM after getting out of the park at 5am, then head to Universal Studios Friday at 10am. The schools in our area that stay til Friday use the strip motels (Anaheim Plaza, Castle Inn, Ramada) and NOT the DLR hotels.

MrsSmith
03-27-2006, 01:27 PM
My son's middle school band is going to play there on May 12. So I'm assuming, but not sure, that there will be many other bands there that day.

TP2000
03-27-2006, 02:41 PM
Not sure about out of state, but Northern CA leaves the morning of Grad Nite, arrives 6-8pm. Some schools do Medival Times, while others do the Blast Off. *IF* schools stay in the hotels, they stay Thursday night/Friday AM after getting out of the park at 5am, then head to Universal Studios Friday at 10am. The schools in our area that stay til Friday use the strip motels (Anaheim Plaza, Castle Inn, Ramada) and NOT the DLR hotels.

Yeah, I'm sure that's also a common itinerary. I didn't mean that every single school from those states followed the hotel plan, but quite a bit do.

I remember one May evening when the lobby of the Grand Californian was over-run by grads from Eugene, Oregon and someplace in Arizona. They looked like well dressed kids from a wealthy school; but obviously if mommy and daddy are going to pay for a trip to Disneyland with hotel rooms as just one part of the graduation celebration.

miss bianca
03-27-2006, 02:52 PM
Just got off the phone with Disney Reservations and its a Kaiser Convention!
Here's hoping they cancel some rooms!!

Cherene
03-27-2006, 08:10 PM
{{{hyperventalating}}} I hope it isn't to busy in May, we are headed down there and last year we hit spring break. I just want it to be a little less busy when we go that spring break was!

potzbie
03-27-2006, 08:34 PM
... its a Kaiser Convention!

Question:

... Permanente?
or
... Wilhelm?

:)

Pirate Princess
03-27-2006, 10:29 PM
OKay.. so Kaiser explains the week before.. (btw I am the op of the May 17th topic) so what is May 17th about??? Is Wednesday the new Saturday? So sad to hear the park my be super crowded Thurs. That's my DS's 5 bday. :crying:

miss bianca
03-28-2006, 06:49 AM
I checked the Kaiser website and their convention is the following Friday/Sat (5/12-5/13) - so I don't know how that would affect Mon - Wed (5/8-5/10)being sold out but not Thursday night. AHHHHH

I justed called the Ressie # and there is a block of rooms still being held for the conventions - so the hotels are not "sold out". Hopefully they should re-open reservations mid-April.

Malcon10t
03-28-2006, 10:54 AM
I checked the Kaiser website and their convention is the following Friday/Sat (5/12-5/13) - so I don't know how that would affect Mon - Wed (5/8-5/10)being sold out but not Thursday night. AHHHHH

I justed called the Ressie # and there is a block of rooms still being held for the conventions - so the hotels are not "sold out". Hopefully they should re-open reservations mid-April.The California State PTA convention starts the morning of 5/11. There are also a number of conventions running the next week.

Duchess mermaid
03-28-2006, 11:51 AM
So the week i'm going there is going to be...
A out of towners grad night
A Kaiser convention
A PTA convention
Some highschool band thing?

I guess it could be worse, hopfully it wont be as busy as it sounds.
I just made all my dining arrangements and didn't have any problems.

Cherene
03-31-2006, 11:39 AM
I can only hope it isn't as crazy as spring break. At least most of the conventions won't be on the little kid rides :) That is where we will be!

miss bianca
04-02-2006, 03:55 PM
Just checked - May 10th is now available! No AP rates yet - $248.00 for a pool view.

I'll keep checking!

kimmybear
04-02-2006, 04:11 PM
What is going on at the Disney Hotels Wednesday 5/10?
PPH and DLH are sold out for that night and the Grand is
$460.00 for a wednesday night? - The next day, Thursday is $322.00.
And Thursday and Friday are not sold out at the other Hotels.
Weird!

i don't know what's going on, but the reasons the hotels are more expensive during the week has to do with the park visitors, but the hotels are mostly used during the week by business execs for the surrounding convention places. yeah, it's weird that the weekdays are more expensive than weekends, but it's what bring is more money for disney. =/

CinemaGal15
04-02-2006, 06:03 PM
All I can think of is Grad Nights.

Karin
04-06-2006, 05:51 PM
Just got off the phone with Disney Reservations and its a Kaiser Convention!
Here's hoping they cancel some rooms!!

Ummm... well... that would be me. Sorry. :D Please don't throw rotten tomatoes or anything.

I'm the Event Planner with back to back Kaiser Permanente events in May at DLR.

I'm at PP May 13, so we have rooms there on the 12th (but to be honest, it's really only like 10), and my one at GCH is May 18 & 19, but we mainly have rooms on the 18th. And yes, that one I've got 60 blocked, and we may end up needing more.

Sorry folks! :ducking to avoid whatever may come my way now:

tmptink
04-06-2006, 05:54 PM
I'm at PP May 13, so we have rooms there on the 12th (but to be honest, it's really only like 10), and my one at GCH is May 18 & 19, but we mainly have rooms on the 18th. And yes, that one I've got 60 blocked, and we may end up needing more.

Are your people going to DL/DCA or are you just using the hotel?

Karin
04-06-2006, 06:25 PM
Are your people going to DL/DCA or are you just using the hotel?

Well, the conferences are just at the hotels, but if they bring their families so they can go to the parks while the attendees are in the conferences, I don't know about any of that. We aren't arranging ticket sales, they have to do that on their own. I doubt my conferences will have a major impact on park attendance. May 13 I will only have 75-100 people and May 18 & 19 will only be 200-225 or so. Nothing huge.