PDA

View Full Version : Early August @ DLR?

samanthamarie
03-26-2006, 10:16 AM
Hello everyone! Let me first say that although this is my first post, I have lurked at these boards and learned SO MUCH from all of you over the past few years. Thanks for letting me tap your knowledge! :D

Anyways, for an "end of college" trip, my bestfriend and I would like to visit DLR August 7-11 (M-F). I just have some basic questions about this time at DLR.

1.) I've only been to Disneyland recently during Christmas (23-28ish) 4 of the past 5 years. So, I'm wondering what crowds will be like, but especially in comparison to the week of Christmas? As bad? Worse? Or will it be a "breeze" to me?

2.) How many days should we plan to be at the park. We are both maniacs, and would do full days (from what I understand, park hours are 8am-12am during that week). Would a 3 day or a 4 day park hopper be better? (Both of us have agreed we don't want to do anything else; we just want to experience DL together)

3.) Which Good Neighboor hotels should we look into staying at? We would like somewhere w/ breakfast for sure, because that will cut down on meals w/in the park. While travelling with my family during Christmas we've stayed at: (forgive me for forgetting names!) 1) the hotel next to the Jolly Roger that starts with a P (twice), 2) the hotel to the left of that w/ the stage coach themed restaurant (once) and most recently, this past Christmas at 3) La Quinta (which I thought was a really good value with free internet and an AMAZING breakfast, just a bit far from the park). My BFF and I would like to stay at a hotel a little closer than these, because at this distance I really prefer to have transit passes (especially at the end of the day). We would like something definitely under $70, preferably under $65.

4.) Anything else we should keep in mind? Besides heat & water & sunscreen etc. How can 2 recent college grads (1 a grad student (me) & 1 an elementary teacher (her)), make the most out of a week at DLR without breaking the bank?

Please offer any advice you have/places I should look, all is very much appreciated, you guys are all so smart! :D

silly'olbear
03-28-2006, 05:04 PM
My 14 yo DS and I are going to be at DLR the very same week - driving down from Washington! I figure it will be hot and it will be busy but we don't care. I am buying 5-day park hoppers for both of us so that we have the freedom to come and go the entire time we're there. You'll just have to decide how many days you want in the parks and go from there.

I got an incredible rate at The Anabella for that week - $69/night for a standard. No breakfast but we'll hit a grocery store for supplies and do breakfast in the room before hitting the parks. That always saves a lot of money. Another thing we do is try to eat main meals outside the parks and just "snack" (sharing those too) at both parks.

Good luck on your planning and hopefully someone else will jump in with some more specific advice.

potzbie
03-28-2006, 05:17 PM
Since the month of July is the peak of the summer rush, then late June and early August should be considered the equivalent of July.

(Early June, not all schools and colleges are out; late August, families are gearing up for the first day of school after Labor Day.)

I hope you have lots of patience.
The queues should be long, for most everything.

Malcon10t
03-28-2006, 07:43 PM
1.) I've only been to Disneyland recently during Christmas (23-28ish) 4 of the past 5 years. So, I'm wondering what crowds will be like, but especially in comparison to the week of Christmas? As bad? Worse? Or will it be a "breeze" to me?We go during both times. Crowd wise, will be about the same as this year I would guess. Difference is, the heat doesn't bring out the best in people, so while it's as crowded, patience is dimmed.

2.) How many days should we plan to be at the park. We are both maniacs, and would do full days (from what I understand, park hours are 8am-12am during that week). Would a 3 day or a 4 day park hopper be better? (Both of us have agreed we don't want to do anything else; we just want to experience DL together)I would go with the 4 day pass, considering its only $20 more or so. Give you more leisure time.

3.) Which Good Neighboor hotels should we look into staying at? We would like somewhere w/ breakfast for sure, because that will cut down on meals w/in the park. While travelling with my family during Christmas we've stayed at: (forgive me for forgetting names!) 1) the hotel next to the Jolly Roger that starts with a P (twice), 2) the hotel to the left of that w/ the stage coach themed restaurant (once) and most recently, this past Christmas at 3) La Quinta (which I thought was a really good value with free internet and an AMAZING breakfast, just a bit far from the park). My BFF and I would like to stay at a hotel a little closer than these, because at this distance I really prefer to have transit passes (especially at the end of the day). We would like something definitely under $70, preferably under $65. You might check out the Anaheim Plaza Hotel, as they have pretty good rates usually. With a AAA discount, you should be able to get a $70 rate (plus taxes.) The Coast (the one by the stagecoach) is being renovated and wil become the Sheraton Park when it reopens in June. The other one you describe might have ben the Portofino. Their rates are usually a little higher than you are looking for. Another one you may look at would be the Alpine Inn. It is on Katella, not far from the pedastrian entrance to the Timon lot, and you can catch a tram to the front gate.

4.) Anything else we should keep in mind? Besides heat & water & sunscreen etc. How can 2 recent college grads (1 a grad student (me) & 1 an elementary teacher (her)), make the most out of a week at DLR without breaking the bank?Travelling with 4 teens, we usually bring sodas, crackers, muffins, and the kids all have CamelBaks for the park. During the summer, they have learned to fill them 1/2 with ice and 1/2 with water (too much ice and it doesn't melt and you don't have water to drink!) Also, we learned early on, share meals. Pizza Port pasta is a 2 person meal!

Please offer any advice you have/places I should look, all is very much appreciated, you guys are all so smart! :D[/QUOTE]