PDA

View Full Version : Indiana Jones boulder question

Pages : [1] 2

Tinkermommy
03-26-2006, 09:58 AM
I've searched the threads, but haven't found a specific answer to this question -- is the IJ boulder an actual boulder-shaped solid object as opposed to a projection?

I believe the answer is yes, but one of my daughter's schoolmates is so insistent that its a holographic projection that now I'm doubting myself. (LOL -- kids can do that to you.)

Yesterday, the effect of the rats running across the branch was working SO well (wow!) that when I stared at the boulder, I wondered if it was possible it (the boulder), too, was not "real." Helllp meeeee! ;)

GlamRockGwenND
03-26-2006, 10:22 AM
I think the boulder is real but i don't really know

Osky
03-26-2006, 10:24 AM
Yes, the boulder is an object, but I don't think it is solid.

Tinkermommy
03-26-2006, 10:30 AM
an actual boulder-shaped solid object as opposed to a projection?

I should clarify -- I don't mean solid as opposed to hollow, I mean something you could touch versus a projection you could stick your hand right through. Thanks!!

notlemc
03-26-2006, 10:34 AM
I think I remember watching somewhere (like on a travel channel special) that the boulder is in fact real, not a projection and that it is made out of styrofoam. I would agree with Tinkermommy, that I don't think it's solid, as it would be really heavy (not matter what it was made out of). They probably took the two halves of the boulder, hollowed out the middle and then glued the two halves back together.

Opus1guy
03-26-2006, 11:35 AM
It's a "real" boulder, not a projection. But there's a big trick in this section that has something to do with the same illusion of you moving, that you often feel in one of those car washes where you sit in the car with your brakes on and the washing apparatus moves around you. ;)

Lost Boy
03-26-2006, 12:09 PM
That is correct. When you are in that room, the boulder is moving forward, toward you, but only a foot or so. It is a real, hollow, boulder made as stated above. Now, the illusion is the room itself that you are in. Lets talk our way through this and then explain it.

Your car comes around the corner, up a ramp, and you see Indy hanging from the roof. All of a sudden you see the "boulder" rolling toward you and your car backs up, then moves forward with a thump and you go under the "boulder" and out of danger.

The secret: The car never moves backwards. The entire room (walls and ceiling) move forward and the car tips. This gives you the illusion of moving backward by having your peripheral vision fool you (like when you are sitting in a train or bus and the train or bus next to you starts to move. You sort of jump and look before realizing you are still standing still). The action of the car tipping, pushes you forward, against the seat restraints. With the combination of moving walls and being pushed into the restraints, makes you feel like the car is going backwards. It doesn't.

At the end the car is simply released from it's holding position, and the track becomes a steep hill down and you do go under the room with the boulder. The flashing lights were put in for the photo op, but that was never installed as they couldn't find a space for the booth to sell the pictures. It is still operational and they are still trying to find a place to put the booth. Maybe someday!

Tinkermommy
03-26-2006, 12:22 PM
It is still operational and they are still trying to find a place to put the booth. Maybe someday!

They can put it at my house! (LOL)

Thanks for the help, everybody! It's reassuring to find I'm not as uninformed as I was beginning to think...

Phantom2006
03-26-2006, 01:23 PM
A few months ago I got broke down on Indiana. We walked through the ride. We stoped in the rat cave. For the most part it is really cheap looking. No wonder the lights are off. Anyway, the bolder. We got to walk down the ramp. The bolder is is a rotating ball on two poles. |-(Bolder)-| thats my little computer drawing. But it spins on the two little poles coming out of it. If that Helps.

sambo
03-26-2006, 04:09 PM
I've searched the threads, but haven't found a specific answer to this question -- is the IJ boulder an actual boulder-shaped solid object as opposed to a projection?

I believe the answer is yes, but one of my daughter's schoolmates is so insistent that its a holographic projection that now I'm doubting myself. (LOL -- kids can do that to you.)

Yesterday, the effect of the rats running across the branch was working SO well (wow!) that when I stared at the boulder, I wondered if it was possible it (the boulder), too, was not "real." Helllp meeeee! ;)

You can safely tell them that there are NO holographic projections used anywhere in Disneyland - Just like cold fusion, holographic projectors do not exist in real life. When people encounter an effect they can't explain - it is likely they will believe it is a hologram, even though it is not...

potzbie
03-26-2006, 06:14 PM
You can safely tell them that there are NO holographic projections used anywhere in Disneyland - Just like cold fusion, holographic projectors do not exist in real life. When people encounter an effect they can't explain - it is likely they will believe it is a hologram, even though it is not...

No!
There is at least ONE exception.
See SNOW WHITE'S SCARY ADVENTURES.
The apple dangling from the witches hand, for one scene, at least, is a hologram.
That apple was the one being stolen regularly.
No surprise that Disney Imagineers decide to do away with a physical prop.

PapiBear
03-26-2006, 09:07 PM
It's real, but it's not hollow. It's not styrofoam or any other manmade substance. It's an actual rock boulder, smoothed and surfaced to roll properly. Lives really are being risked to entertain you. Enjoy!

Opus1guy
03-26-2006, 09:36 PM
It's real, but it's not hollow. It's not styrofoam or any other manmade substance. It's an actual rock boulder, smoothed and surfaced to roll properly. Lives really are being risked to entertain you. Enjoy!

And all this time they were telling me it was made out of Churros!

;)

TowerofTerror
03-27-2006, 03:59 AM
wow it cool that it a real boulder. and not an illusion

ralfrick
03-27-2006, 08:02 AM
http://www.hiddenmickeys.org/Disneyland/Secrets/Adventure/Indy.html

Cheers.

geoffa
03-27-2006, 12:32 PM
Surely it's a giant donut hole????????

Uncle Remus
03-27-2006, 04:00 PM
ya the boulder on the pole has to be correct, you can see it if you look to the sides of the boulder. With the whole room moving thing... seems kind of unlikely based on the fact that it would be pointless to do that. like why not just have the car backup? That was a very thorough explanation for something that prolly isnt correct :(.

Osky
03-27-2006, 04:32 PM
With the whole room moving thing... seems kind of unlikely based on the fact that it would be pointless to do that. like why not just have the car backup? That was a very thorough explanation for something that prolly isnt correct :(.

Those ride vehicles are incapable of backing up. What was stated about the walls moving is absolutely correct.

sambo
03-27-2006, 06:30 PM
No!
There is at least ONE exception.
See SNOW WHITE'S SCARY ADVENTURES.
The apple dangling from the witches hand, for one scene, at least, is a hologram.
That apple was the one being stolen regularly.
No surprise that Disney Imagineers decide to do away with a physical prop.

Sorry - It's a reflection in a concave mirror. The physical prop is still there - you just can't see it. Refer to page 6 in this PDF (http://www-ph.postech.ac.kr/genphys/gp/download/UC%20Berk.%20Demon/G.pdf)...

There are no holographic projections - they do not exist... Holograms exist, but they are easily detectable by their spectral shift on the image.

kimmybear
03-27-2006, 06:34 PM
Those ride vehicles are incapable of backing up. What was stated about the walls moving is absolutely correct.

you're absolutely correct- the cars can't back up without messing up the rest of the ride. all the cars are connected to the same tracks- if one car backed up, the others would too. this keeps them from getting too close to each other, etc.

Disnerd
03-27-2006, 06:53 PM
This is not holographic projection, but it is a technology that WDI has been playing with. And Disney has invested money into this through their phantom company Steamboat Ventures.

http://www.io2technology.com/

Be sure to check out the videos at http://www.io2technology.com/technology/images

meng85
03-28-2006, 05:33 AM
ok hmmmmmm......
lets tackle this one by one

the boulder is real its pretty solid and its not light, but heavy if it did fall someone would get hurt.

the rolling "ball" moves a lot more than a foot foward.

the vehicles can move "backward" in theory but it would trigger safety measures and the ride would break down.

the vehicles are not connected to one another, thats why some may have experienced the "station back up" (when you're in a certain part of the ride and all of a sudden you stop for a while with he jeep idling).

twist1980
03-28-2006, 03:32 PM
The flashing lights were put in for the photo op, but that was never installed as they couldn't find a space for the booth to sell the pictures. It is still operational and they are still trying to find a place to put the booth. Maybe someday!

I've never heard that before...I want a picture!!!!

sambo
03-28-2006, 07:52 PM
This is not holographic projection, but it is a technology that WDI has been playing with. And Disney has invested money into this through their phantom company Steamboat Ventures.

http://www.io2technology.com/

Be sure to check out the videos at http://www.io2technology.com/technology/images

The apple is most assuredly NOT! The apple is not a video image. See my post above.

Disney is exploring the heliodisplay - but are not using it for the apple or the boulder. Good Grief!

Disnerd
03-28-2006, 08:15 PM
I never said we use it for the apple. I was just passing on some insider stuff I saw on my last trip to Glendale. Sambo is 100% correct about the illusion used for the old hag's apple. You can buy a desk top version of the convex mirror system which will display at 3D image that you can even photograph. Here is a eBay auction for a Mirage that has a video clip. http://cgi.ebay.com/Mirage-Bowl-Instant-3D-Hologram-Optical-Illusion-Maker_W0QQitemZ6616220702QQcategoryZ14014QQssPageN ameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
I have one in my office with a POTC cursed Aztec coin in it. You should see visitors try and grab the coin. But I never said we use the Heliodisplay any where in the park. It is only a technology we are playing with.