PDA

View Full Version : Cast Members: Do you work here?

corrinhorn
04-14-2002, 11:21 PM
Hey, I also thought that cast members may want to share their best "do you work here?" stories...

Mine:

we were pushing in one of the Lemonade wagons up Splash Hill, and I was asked if I worked here... No, I just thought that I would be nice and help the poor people pushing in the Lemonade wagon...

Please share yours!!!

marron-cream
04-14-2002, 11:45 PM
I seem to get asked that the most when I'm dressed in full costume. I always feel like saying, "No, I'm just dressed like Heidi for the hell of it!"

bluepearl
04-15-2002, 12:06 AM
I got asked that question two times in one day. I wasn't in the usual uniform though; I was wearing a stock costume. I was having a quick conversation with another CM in the WoD costume when a guest came up to both of us and asked, "Do you work here?"

Earlier, I was re-filling a shelf when a guest asked me the same question.

I think it's pretty funny when people ask me that.

Polar33
04-15-2002, 02:20 AM
I've actually been waiting for the day that I am with a group of other vendors when we are walking through the park and somebody asks that question. Just to see if I can convince someone that we are a group of employees from the Taco Bell convention across the street. It worked on the gas station attendent the other day :D. Seriously though...the question gets asked all the time and while I don't mind it...you gotta wonder just how many people actually are wondering if you work there. I still love it though...I know I'm behind on current fashion trends...but I am more up to date than that when I go out in public!

oregonzooron
04-15-2002, 09:05 AM
My favorite response when I'm asked this at the zoo...

"No, but I do get paid to show up on a regular basis..."

ron

tabacco
04-15-2002, 10:30 AM
that depends on how you define "work" :)

corrinhorn
04-15-2002, 03:00 PM
I define it as anyplace that you can put on your Resume saying that you worked at...:D
Even if it is fun!!!

Durliin
04-15-2002, 03:36 PM
well back before I transfered to Disneylkand attractions out in the parking lot before the new costumes my Driver and I were returning from Lunch walking to the Trams and this Guest asked us if we worked there....... that was just funny becasue if you remember what the old Costumes looked like in the parkinglot 2 years ago....they were very ummm colorfull and looked like something only a Cm would have to wear..... Then about a month ago I was walking Through Frontierland in my Thunder Costume... Salmon shirt Green vest Big Miners hat and got asked that question....oh well

cstephens
04-15-2002, 06:10 PM
I used to get all kinds of strange questions during the two-months many moons ago when I worked at CM, and yes, "do you work here" was one of them, with me dressed in my Main Street costume and CM nametag.

And then there was "Are you real, or one of those mechanical things?"...

/cs

PhilMP
04-15-2002, 08:24 PM
Hmmm...I remember a couple weeks ago I was pushing a bunch of hot beverage urns back to the kitchen and somebody comes up and asks me if I work here. Now...the ODV costume isn't exactly what a normal person would wear to Disneyland, or anywhere, in fact, but I still got that question.

Of course, the "Do you work here?" question still isn't as stupid as the "Is the glow-in-the-dark stuff free?" question.

Oh, and corrinhorn, if you want a year pin, you're going to have to do what me and everyone else has been telling you for the longest time, turn CR, or you could be like Ish and grab one off a nametag that fell of in the Ice Cream reefer.

Phil

Dave Z
04-16-2002, 10:13 AM
'Do you work here?' is a common and polite way of saying 'Excuse me, I have a question'. It breaks the ice and allows for that interruption of your work to ask their question.

However, if they ask 'Do you work here?' and then just walk away after an affirmative answer, that is weird.

DZ

corrinhorn
04-16-2002, 10:33 AM
I concur with that, In fact, I posted that same thing under Favorite Guest Quotes I realize that it is a way to break the Ice, but there are many other ways to do this...I don't really have a problem with it, but it is kind of a "what were you thinking?" kinda thing...

Thanks a lot for the quotes!

cstephens
04-16-2002, 11:44 AM
Originally posted by Dave Z
'Do you work here?' is a common and polite way of saying 'Excuse me, I have a question'. It breaks the ice and allows for that interruption of your work to ask their question.

So why not just say "Excuse me, I have a question?" Sounds perfectly polite to me and serves the same purpose better.

/cs

innerSpaceman
04-16-2002, 12:21 PM
yeah, 'do you work here' is a pretty dumb way to butt-in to what an obvious employee is doing so you can get some help or ask a question, but it's a time-honored (if somewhat stupid) phrase for its related purpose, so what are ya gonna do?

What's weirder is that I am constantly asked if I work 'here' at Disneyland while I'm wearing street clothes. I am not, nor have I ever been a CM, and I'm wearing usual tourist garb of t-shirt and shorts, and people will still ask me if I work at the park and then where's the nearest restroom, where's such and such restaurant and what do they serve, how to get to this or that attraction. I know the answers to that stuff and I guess I just look like I do or something, but the questions keep coming no matter how 'normaly' I'm dressed.

SzczerbiakManiac
04-16-2002, 01:10 PM
I also 'love' it when they ask, "Can I ask you a question?"

If I'm in the right mood, I'll respond with, "Besides that one?" :rolleyes:

SUNSHINE4565
04-23-2002, 10:41 AM
I would have to say .. When I was working on the parade route.. wearing (old odv costume) bright YELLOWS:D . holding a ton of balloons and someone asked .....scuse me ... do you work here......