PDA

View Full Version : Anyone get annoyed with the mandatory concession fee at DLR hotels?

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

crazyj4488
03-21-2006, 11:20 PM
In Jan, I booked an AP rate room at Paradise Pier and thought the quote was really fair at around $98 which included tax...then the lady tells me about the mandatory $11 concession fee which will per added PER NIGHT. She buttered it up telling me that I would get free broadband. I mean, that's still a good price per night in comparison to rack but I feel like they are forcing you to pay for broadband since 95% of hotels out there charge about $10/day for broadband access.

I cancelled the ressie and stayed at the Hojo Plaza for the 4th time...they include free broadband in the price, it's a great location, and has a fridge in each room for about $100 per night.

I dunno..the mandatory fee per night just turned me off at the end of my convo with reservations. Why not just quote the full price per night with the fee included instead of sneaking that in after they have setup your ressie?! Is that being unreasonable.

It's just like WDW now charging $2 for hat embrodery...just include the service in the cost of the hat.

-J

Subscribe or listen to The Meandering Mouse Podcast - Real Life Audio Adventures in the Parks

Click for a Short Promo (http://www.meanderingmouse.com/media/meanderingmousepromo01.mp3)

You Don't Need an IPOD - Anyone Can Listen - Download the MP3 or listen right over the website for FREE!!
http://www.meanderingmouse.com/images/tmm144.jpg (http://www.meanderingmouse.com) http://www.meanderingmouse.com

OR...Search for "disney" within the ITunes podcast directory and subscribe there!!

The Meandering Mouse Podcast - Streams of Consciousness from the Happiest Place on Earth!

kimmybear
03-21-2006, 11:24 PM
In Jan, I booked an AP rate room at Paradise Pier and thought the quote was really fair at around $98 which included tax...then the lady tells me about the mandatory $11 concession fee which will per added PER NIGHT. She buttered it up telling me that I would get free broadband. I mean, that's still a good price per night in comparison to rack but I feel like they are forcing you to pay for broadband since 95% of hotels out there charge about $10/day for broadband access.

I cancelled the ressie and stayed at the Hojo Plaza for the 4th time...they include free broadband in the price, it's a great location, and has a fridge in each room for about $100 per night.

I dunno..the mandatory fee per night just turned me off at the end of my convo with reservations. Why not just quote the full price per night with the fee included instead of sneaking that in after they have setup your ressie?! Is that being unreasonable.

It's just like WDW now charging $2 for hat embrodery...just include the service in the cost of the hat.

i have the same problem with all the little extra fees they add. i didn't know about the "resort fee" and didn't find out until after i booked. i went thru expedia and they charge a fee also! it's like $50 extra just in fees. i'm going to use that broadband 24/7 to get my money's worth!

wwithers
03-22-2006, 03:11 AM
Bugs me too. They also do it at WDW. It's not the extra $10 (or whatever) that gets me, it just seems like fewer people would get upset if they just said, it's $100 not, it's $90 + $10.

DangerMouse
03-22-2006, 04:26 AM
Oh, but don't forget about the newspaper! That's quite an expensive newspaper if you ask me. :p Yeah, another here who finds the extra fee just ridiculous. If I use the broadband access, newspaper or hotel parking then charge me, but leave it off my bill otherwise. I wonder how many people actually read that newspaper. If you're at DL, you want to escape reality, right?

Osky
03-22-2006, 06:06 AM
Here is the link from the last time we discussed resort fees:

http://mousepad.mouseplanet.com/showthread.php?t=48660

cfrith
03-22-2006, 06:17 AM
I agree, 99% of the time we won't be parking a car, never touch the newspaper and do not use the broadband.

Disnerd
03-22-2006, 09:49 AM
So the guest are paying for the wireless broadband that anyone can use? I can walk into any of the DL hotels or bars and my Palm TX will connect to the WiFi and I'm not asked for a password or anything. Now I know how they can afford to do that.:)

JookyG
03-22-2006, 10:03 AM
Is this concession fee in addition to the 18% taxes that are tacked on to room rates in Anaheim? Even when I book $99 rooms on Harbor, it ends up being about $118/night with taxes.

stan4d_steph
03-22-2006, 10:08 AM
Is this concession fee in addition to the 18% taxes that are tacked on to room rates in Anaheim? Even when I book $99 rooms on Harbor, it ends up being about $118/night with taxes.Yes, Disney charges a resort fee for all of their rooms on top of taxes.

hlbtimes2
03-22-2006, 10:09 AM
Is this concession fee in addition to the 18% taxes that are tacked on to room rates in Anaheim? Even when I book $99 rooms on Harbor, it ends up being about $118/night with taxes.

Not only is it in addition, its taxed at that rate as well!

crazyj4488
03-22-2006, 02:09 PM
Yup, I found it insane getting the original quote on the room and then having the total bounce up like $25 to $30 PER NIGHT extra after all the fees. Heck, at least Anaheim doesn't look like such a trash hole now. Guess all those fees are doing some sort of good :)

Monte Cristo
03-22-2006, 03:02 PM
I don't have a problem with any of this. Sure, if given a preference I would prefer not to pay it. However, you're staying at an on-site hotel. You're already being overcharged the minute you step foot inside the room.

If $11 is gonna be the deal breaker to staying at a DL hotel, then odds are good you probably shouldn't have booked it in the first place.

Osky
03-22-2006, 03:16 PM
For the people who complain about this, do you also complain about the security and airport fees added to your plane ticket?

CamCay
03-22-2006, 03:20 PM
Yes, we pay for total experience, i know we can get hotels cheaper off-site but staying at a DLR hotel is just a part of the total experience. I wouldn't pass it up for $11 a night either.

ToursbabeC3po
03-22-2006, 06:47 PM
Is this fee for wireless internet or do they have computers in each room? Why should someone have to pay for internet if they are not using it? If it is wireles I can see why because anyone can access it but if it is not then they should charge per use. Call me ignorant but I have not idea what anyone is talking about LOL.
The day Starbucks charges me for a wireless internet fee with my java I am out of there!

Osky
03-22-2006, 08:02 PM
From what they told me before:

Fee includes:

A newspaper delivered to your room.
Local and toll-free phone access.
Cost for maintaining self-parking lots.
Wi-Fi access in the common areas.
Wired high-speed internet in the rooms.
Up-keep of common areas in the hotel.
Use of the fitness center.

kisroo
03-22-2006, 08:13 PM
I'm with wwithers. Why can't they just quote a higher rate to begin with so you don't balk at the fee?

Osky
03-22-2006, 09:10 PM
From the previous thread:

by keeping the fees flexible, they have the advantage of adding or subtracting different amenities, and adjusting the resort fee up or down to compensate. It probably has more to do with the rate system, and the ease, or lack thereof, of adjusting rates. Disney sets their rates for the year, and if they choose to add a new amenity (such as internet access), then they do not need to change the rate structure.

kisroo
03-22-2006, 09:16 PM

by keeping the fees flexible, they have the advantage of adding or subtracting different amenities, and adjusting the resort fee up or down to compensate.

That makes sense, grundler.

Thanks!

~kisroo:)

kimi911
03-22-2006, 09:33 PM
I don't mind the fee usually, since the internet and self -parking free is worth it to me.

However, I think it is a rip off, when the rate is $300+ and you have to pay this $11 fee too.

Osky
03-23-2006, 06:00 AM
I am glad the fee is separate for two reasons:

1. If they did not have the fee, they would just charge more for the room, and I have a feeling that they would charge more than they do now to make sure they have some buffer room since they typically set the rates months in advance.

2. When I go and book multiple rooms on one reservation (such as with a three bedroom suite that is really one suite with two adjoining rooms), I have only been charged the fee one, not for each room. If the cost was in the room price, then I would have paid that fee three times.

kmovies
03-23-2006, 07:06 AM
Some hotels had an "electricity" surcharge when the electric prices shot up so much.

UPS and Federal Express often have "Gasoline" surcharges when those prices spiked. So do services such as Taxi Cabs and Super Shuttle.

Cruises have port taxes as well.

The list goes on ... and on ... and on.

Do you get upset at the gas pump too. The price per gallon is $2.499. Is it really $2.49 or $2.50. The price is designed to look like it is a cent cheaper than it really is.

Do you get mad that at some dollar sales items are $2, $3, $4, $10?

Loans have other fees to (credit report, doc prep fees).

Add shipping and handling fees to your internet purchases.

Phone and Cable bills have extra fees, government taxes, charges.

Concert and Play tickets sometimes have $2.00 restoration fees added. And yes, expect to pay for parking at the Football Statium as well. Parking at the Airport too.

Tiping is another big fee that is expected.

Many, many things could have all those fees added into the price.
Would love to get the $6.99 Denny's Hamburger for $6.99 rather than tax and tip getting the bill to over $10.00.

If HOJOs was $100 and Paradise Pier was $98 and $11 - I'd stay at the Paradise Pier. Less walking to the parks and Downtown Disney, seems safer that HOJOs, just having the Disney feel. If HOJOs was $60 and Paradise Pier $98 and $11, then I'd stay at HOJOs.

dlandnut
03-23-2006, 07:24 AM
FYI,

When I stayed there (Disneyland Hotel) last June, I did not have a laptop. I found the hotel's computer access commons area, near where you enter Goofy's Kitchen (upstairs). The cost? I paid $5 for each 15 minutes worth of computer time. It was only open monday thru saturday, closed on sunday. I love the DH, the whole experience, but I also feel a few more perks for guests would be nice, especially since we're paying the prices that we pay. :)

hlbtimes2
03-23-2006, 08:50 AM

. And yes, expect to pay for parking at the Football Statium as well. Parking at the Airport too.

Tiping is another big fee that is expected.

Yes, but I only pay for parking at those places if I actually park a car there. The hotels charge it even if you didn't bring a car!

Tipping is not typically (unless a large group) a set amount added on. Its voluntary and based on the quality of service you received. You are not forced to tip.

DianeM
03-23-2006, 09:13 AM
If it's a mandatory addition to the rate, then it's part of the rate structure. They can call it a fee, but what they are really doing is bait and switch advertising where they state one rate, then charge you a different amount after you have decided where to stay based on the advertised rate. And I don't care how common it is in the industry - it's a scam. If I walked into a store and selected an oven based on the posted prices, then was told by the sales person that I would have to pay a $10 fee for the privilege of shopping in their store, I would walk out immediately, even if they had the lowest prices in town. I just won't do business with someone I can't trust. All most people want is to be treated fairly, and that means that businesses have an obligation to be up front about their prices, not keeping some costs hidden until the deal is consumated.

by keeping the fees flexible, they have the advantage of adding or subtracting different amenities, and adjusting the resort fee up or down to compensate. It probably has more to do with the rate system, and the ease, or lack thereof, of adjusting rates. Disney sets their rates for the year, and if they choose to add a new amenity (such as internet access), then they do not need to change the rate structure.