PDA

View Full Version : Libby Lu at Downtown Disney... (I got pics!)

Keurigirl
03-21-2006, 06:54 PM
So for some of you who were talking about doing "fluffy girlie activities", and Libby Lu was suggested, I thought I'd show you pics I took of my neice this weekend at our local Libby Lu.

They are here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/stephaniecombs/sets/72057594087155605/

Also, there are pics of our DL and WDW trips there:

WDW (http://www.flickr.com/photos/stephaniecombs/sets/1230237/) and DL (http://www.flickr.com/photos/stephaniecombs/sets/1003254/)

MermaidHair
03-21-2006, 07:16 PM
Great pics! I am glad your daughter liked her special day.

cfrith
03-22-2006, 06:38 AM
I don't think I'd like make-up on my little girls. I wouldn't mind a little glitter and the little jewels and maybe a princess-like hairstyle. I just wouldn't want eyeshadow and lipstick.

ToursbabeC3po
03-22-2006, 08:45 AM
Very cute. Looks like she had fun and that is what matters :-)
((((((((((hugs)))))))))))))
Toursbabe

hlbtimes2
03-22-2006, 09:48 AM
I don't think I'd like make-up on my little girls. I wouldn't mind a little glitter and the little jewels and maybe a princess-like hairstyle. I just wouldn't want eyeshadow and lipstick.

They got a little carried away with blue eyeshadow on my dd when we were there. She looked like she had black eyes when they were done! LOL We went across the walk way to the nearest restroom and washed 90% of it off. It wasnt to bad after that. She felt like such a princess, you could just tell by the way she walked.

Rhiannon8404
03-22-2006, 10:11 AM
She looks cute. I think it's hit or miss with Libby Lu. Some kids come out looking like little street walkers. Others like little Princesses or little rock stars. It's probably up to the parents to keep an eye on the makeover and see how it turns out.

Tinkermommy
03-22-2006, 03:17 PM
Your pictures are adorable!! I love the missing two front teeth...so cute!

lobotomomma
03-22-2006, 03:37 PM
I plan on taking my oldest DD for a makeover at LibbyLu one day while we're at DL next week! Thanks for the input and photos...I'll monitor the session so she doesn't walk out looking like a streetwalker...LOL Rhiannon!

5-4-fun
03-22-2006, 10:17 PM
Thank you for sharing the photos, she is adorable.

I plan on taking my oldest DD for a makeover at LibbyLu one day while we're at DL next week! Thanks for the input and photos...I'll monitor the session so she doesn't walk out looking like a streetwalker...LOL Rhiannon!

DD and I did matching makeovers at the Libby Lu in DTD last week, it was so much fun! It was only $25 for both of us, but make sure that you make reservations at least a few hours before you want to go.

lobotomomma
03-23-2006, 09:53 AM
Thanks 5-4 fun! I will make reservations for sure! BTW-I am thoroughly enjoying your trip report!

twist1980
03-23-2006, 10:38 AM
She looks cute. I think it's hit or miss with Libby Lu. Some kids come out looking like little street walkers.

I'm glad I'm not the only one who has thought that. We were walking past the one in DtD and they were teaching the little girls to dance outside the store a little too sugestively. I was a bit disgusted by it. Street walkers is a much nicer term than I used...:rolleyes:

BTW, your niece is adorable and looks like she had a blast...sorry didn't mean to be so negative! :)

Keurigirl
03-23-2006, 11:13 AM
I think the issue is that they get their "choice" of what colors to choose. And little girls like bright colors so they can "tell" they are wearing makeup.

I figure it isn't going to hurt anything for her to have a little fun with bright pink eyeshadow. She thinks it is fun, and loves to see what she "looks like" when she can tell she is wearing eye shadow. SHe will grow out of that when she is old enough to actually wear it every day.

I haven't ever seen suggestive moves - it's basically the hokey pokey, what they do. How suggestive can that be?

Rhiannon8404
03-23-2006, 03:36 PM
The girls I saw recently coming out of the LL in our mall were a bit older than your niece. They were closer to 9 or 10 and were wearing outfits I never would let my daughter (if I had one) wear at 16 let alone 10. That, combined with the make-up and hair...well, it was pretty bad. I was surprised their moms would allow it.

I don't have a problem little girls wearing bright makeup and punking out their hair or whatever. That's just fun. After all, I'm letting my 7½ year old boy grow his hair out long like Robert Plant's (Led Zeppelin's his favorite group). And he's already had the faux-hawk hair style that was so popular for a while. Colored hair gel is Ok, but no make-up for him! ;)

What squicks me out is when children appear sexual at such a young age.

Bolivar
03-23-2006, 06:01 PM
When we were there in December my daughter was eight. What I saw were glittery crowns, pink sparkly furry things, and that they did "princess makeovers." I saw nothing racey or inappropriate, but I wasn't looking for it either and I was only in the store a couple minutes -- my wife spent time in there with my daughter who bought a pillow and a couple of stuffed animals.

I'm disappointed to hear they are a training center for streetwalkers.

Keurigirl
03-24-2006, 10:19 PM
"training center for streetwalkers" ???? I think we're going a little overboard.

What 11-12 year olds are wearing has nothing to do with Libby Lu as a whole. That has to do with parents and the media telling young girls how to be sexy.

Libby Lu itself is just about plain, princess fun.

cfrith
03-25-2006, 08:03 PM
It should just be about princess fun...unfortunately some parents let their young girls go overboard. It really is sad that some parents allow that.

twist1980
03-25-2006, 08:30 PM
"training center for streetwalkers" ???? I think we're going a little overboard.

What 11-12 year olds are wearing has nothing to do with Libby Lu as a whole. That has to do with parents and the media telling young girls how to be sexy.

Libby Lu itself is just about plain, princess fun.

In my opinion, there is a difference between fun and overboard. I am only 25 years old and I like to have a good time and act my age.

The idea of Libby Lu is a fun one, to let little girls get dressed up and pretend they are "grown-up."

I just took offense to the dance moves they were doing. It was not the "hokey-pokey" as suggested in an earlier post. The music was "Get Low" by Little John which is borderline appropriate for girls my age, much less 8-12 year olds. And the girls working there and outside were hardly doing the hokey pokey.

I just think it is a bit much for young girls.

Osky
03-25-2006, 10:49 PM
Last time I took my daughter to Libby Lu, I saw a woman in her 40s (I'm guessing here) getting a makeover. Hmmm. That was a little weird.

BlkPearlCptn
03-26-2006, 11:19 AM
Just FYI. In one of my child psychology classes on Diviant Behaviors, we had a guest speaker who was an FBI agent specializing in Pediophilia....

She actually talked about heavy make up, i.e. the "steetwalker" look that same parents think is so cute on their little girls. She then spoke of .. "as an example. Most of you have been to Disneyland. There is an extablishment in Downtown Disney that specializes in makeovers for young girls. The after affect is rather unsettling as it transforms these young girls into a much more adult sexual appearance. Combine the attraction of an amusement park, a child in heavy adult make up, with adult overtones to the clothing, parents that are preoccupied, and you have a pediophile's dream. But the more important thing to be aware of is the what we call "hooker" look. This look tends to be almost irresistable to most pediophiles."

So, while I personally cring when I see children made up to this extreme. I never though about the possible implications until this woman spoke. The last time I was at Downtown Disney with friends, we just parked outside Libby Lu's and watched the reactions as the girls came out with their new looks. It was unsettling to see how many older men just sit outside and watch these girls. In a few instances, you could see the preditory look come over them, and a couple of them would go and just position themselves near the child, (they obviously NOT a parent or relation to the child) and watch the family/parent/child and move along with them accordingly. We also even notified security of one person who began to ..um.. abuse himself while watching the girls. Just a heads up and something to think about.