PDA

View Full Version : Best Time to go in July

ktrm
03-21-2006, 02:36 PM
I know the July 4th week should be avoided but are all the other weeks in July equally crowded or is one worse than another. I booked July 10th-July15th. Is July17th-July22nd or July24th-July29th any better? I noticed the park closes at 12:00am every night in July(not all of July is listed on the Disneyland website but most of it is) so I am assuming all these days are about the same as far as crowds are concerned. Any insights? Hopefully there are no cheerleading conventions or movie premieres.

ILovePoker
03-21-2006, 03:30 PM
Best Time to go in July?

Not going at all.

potzbie
03-21-2006, 03:36 PM
As months go, July is the worst.

Sure, Xmas week is bad.
Sure, Spring Break is bad.
Sure, every 3-day holiday weekend is bad.

But of all summer months (June, July August), July is the worst.
The non-American tourists, from overseas, it seems, prefer July.

You can confirm this by the BLOCKOUT dates of the low-level Annual Passholder schedule.
You have already confirmed this by the opening/closing hours.

The tip?
Stay away.
Unless you like long lines.
Unless you can stand in a queue for two-hour stints, for every ride.

ktrm
03-21-2006, 04:18 PM
Every Saturday in June, July, and August are blocked out as well July 4th holiday so the blockout did not give me too much of a clue although definitely the time the park closes did. I knew July 4th would be crazy and insane. None of the Sundays or Fridays in July are blocked out. Is the wait 2 hours late at night in July? This last trip I had luck going late at night. People cleared out after the fireworks and we got in a lot of rides between the fireworks and closing. During the week of March 13th-March 18th, the park closed at 11:00pm till Thursday and 12:00am on Friday. I was really, really worried about the crowds but honestly with all the great advice I have gotten on this website it was not bad at all. I got fastpasses, did less popular rides like the Delta Queen, petting zoo, and Tiki room during the crowded daytime, and then hit most of the rides late at night. I could be living in la la land and this week might have been absolutely nothing like a week in July. If July is like this week or even somewhat worse I could handle it, but if July is 200% worse I have to give it more thought

Malcon10t
03-21-2006, 05:15 PM
Every Saturday in June, July, and August are blocked out as well July 4th holiday so the blockout did not give me too much of a clue although definitely the time the park closes did. I knew July 4th would be crazy and insane. None of the Sundays or Fridays in July are blocked out. Is the wait 2 hours late at night in July? This last trip I had luck going late at night.
I would go as early in July as possible. The reason? The heat. And the park stays busy in the summer at night. It cools down and everyone comes back. I think that is why the crowds are more tolerable to me at Christmas, no heat to tolerate also.

potzbie
03-21-2006, 06:08 PM
Yes, from 9:40 p.m. (fireworks over) to midnight, the lines are considerably shorter.
The mass exodus to the exits occurs after the fireworks.

I figure those groups with small children will not let their little rascals go much beyond 10:00 p.m., so they will leave pretty promptly after the fireworks.

Hey, so THAT is the secret and the key!
"Don't go to Disneyland early! Go late! Go after ten o'clock!" ;)

Keurigirl
03-21-2006, 07:05 PM
Hey, so THAT is the secret and the key!
"Don't go to Disneyland early! Go late! Go after ten o'clock!"

Actually, both are the secret. Going first thing at opening is KEY to getting things done when crowds are high. People tend to not want to get up in the morning, so you can get alot covered in a couple morning hours. Even more than you can at night, even! This is why I like the strategy of getting up early, staying until 2 or 3, coming back to the hotel and returning at 7 for the fireworks, and then staying til midnight.

Leap for Joy
03-21-2006, 07:29 PM
I know the July 4th week should be avoided but are all the other weeks in July equally crowded or is one worse than another. I booked July 10th-July15th. Is July17th-July22nd or July24th-July29th any better?

July 24th is a holiday in Utah that many will use as a long weekend. July 17th is DLs actual anniversary. I think you've picked the best week.

Compared to your March trip it WILL be noticably more crowded. You'll also tire more easily because of the heat. But summer is still my favorite time to go. There's something about summer vacations that is more vacationey, and when it's hot you can get completely drenched on GRR and not mind at all.