PDA

View Full Version : Disneyland Labor Negotiations Update

Pages : [1] 2

Alex S.
03-20-2006, 10:57 PM
The following message was sent to cast members late last week as a status update on negotiations between Disney and the UCFW 324 and SEIU 1877 union leaders.

After 10 full negotiating sessions, bargaining broke off late evening on March 15, 2006 with the parties agreeing to extend the contract on a day to day basis and call in a federal mediator to assist in trying to bring the negotiations to a peaceful conclusion. During this time, all terms and conditions of your contract are in full force and effect.

Major issues remain unresolved. These include: fair and adequate wage increases for current employees and the company’s insistence on undermining current employees’ job security by hiring a new low paid worker with no opportunity for advancement.

Your union bargaining committee is strong and united on these issues. Disney cast members work hard, have created record profits for the company and deserve to be recognized with proper wage increases. Future cast members must be paid fairly and have the same opportunities as current cast members in order to maintain the high standards Disney cast members are currently held to.

We will keep you informed of our progress. In the meantime, remain strong and united. Only through your solidarity will we prevail.

Sincerely and fraternally,

MASTER SERVICES JOINT COUNCIL

Disnerd
03-21-2006, 08:24 AM
And this is the latest post on the Teamsters Local 495 site (Attractions):

"CONTRACT REMAINS IN FULL FORCE AND EFFECT UPON EXPIRATION

The Disneyland Park Master Services Agreement expires on Wednesday, March 15, 2006. The Walt Disney World Company, dba Disneyland Park (“Company”) and the Master Services Council (“Unions”) do hereby agree to an extension of said agreement through 11:59 p.m. on Sunday, March 19, 2006, and day to day thereafter, subject to either party providing seventy-two (72) hours written notice revoking said extension."

And for those of you that would like to check the websites yourself here are the URL's for the four unions who make up the Master Services Agreement. There are over 35 other unions in place at The Disneyland Resort.

Teamsters http://www.teamsters495.org/

UFCW http://www.ufcw324.org/

SEIU http://www.seiu1877.org/

Bakery, Confectonery & Tobacco Workers Union (Candy Makers) http://www.bctgm.org/index.html

Burnt Toast
03-21-2006, 11:53 AM
Weird... why wouldn't they mention the real reason why they are striking and say that it's for "fair and adequate wage increases"? Why would they boldface lie like that?

They go from one press release sent to the PUBLIC right before the stockholder's meeting about their issue being that future employees having to work an extra five hours a week to maintain their benefits (going from 40 hours to a 30+ a week average over a quarter), if they are in a position to get benefits... to now privately telling Cast Members nothing of this and trying to lie to them about their "fight" for wages? This strike threat had nothing to do with higher wages, that's from day one... unless their priorities suddenly changed since the stockholder's meeting.

They stopped fighting for wages like three contracts ago, when they allowed the time it gets for you to get to top rate to go from four years to six or eight (making your yearly raise even smaller since it's spread out over more years), then on top of that having the top rate lowered itself. Since they allowed that to happen, without any fuss back then at all, wages has slowly decreased... again, with no fuss.

Weird... why would they lie?

Hrmn... ew, SEIU 1877 is the union that stabbed the DLH Front Desk in the back when I worked there. Totally lied to the entire membership of that department that they'll make the transfer to a more suitable hotel-based union easy and drama free, because overall we felt that SEIU 1877 wasn't capable of providing representation when they knew nothing of the issues or how to handle them in a hotel front desk environment when a good majority of their membership was custodial-based. They agreed and told us that they'll make the transfer happen, because they wanted us to have adequate representation. Well, lets just say that the DLH Front Desk's transfer didn't go easy because Dave Stilwell (the vice president of that local) stabbed them all in the back and dropped the department from their membership with no warning, this was after meeting with a group of DLH Front Desk Cast Members (myself included) who spoke with him about the transfer and got assurances from him (asked by FOUR different Cast Members to make sure that it was clear) that he would work on making the transfer to HERE. Now the DLH Front Desk is no longer part of ANY union, because of what they did. I wouldn't trust anything that anyone from SEIU 1877 too seriously, especially since last I heard two other department voted to decert (Main Entrance and Custodial, I think Custodial's vote actually passed) that union after we had gotten dropped on our *****.

Tinkermommy
03-21-2006, 12:31 PM
I was wondering if the negotiations were having any effect on services provided by cast members, such as the sickouts I sometimes read about when other industries are involved in contract negotiations.

Saturday, we went the the Plaza Inn, and breezed through the food lines and the cashier. Although there were seven tables empty in one of the indoor rooms, they were all dirty. After we'd waited for a while, I asked a cashier if someone was coming to clean up, and she assured me they were. After about five more minutes, and with our food now getting cold, I asked again. The cashier was VERY annoyed that I'd interrupted her conversation with the other cashier (they had no customers), and said she'd call someone.

When the poor guy finally came, he apologized. I asked if they were exceptionally busy, and he seemed reluctant to answer, but finally said they were "short handed. REALLY short handed."

We've never had an experience like this at the Plaza Inn, and I wondered if it was just a fluke, or related to the labor situation.

Burnt Toast
03-21-2006, 12:49 PM
Lots and lots of people are needed to staff the park. People call out all the time, whether for legitimate reasons or not. Unemployment in SoCal is pretty small, if you need a job (any job, especially something "entry level"), you can probably find one pretty very easily. The DLR doesn't pay too highly, compared to your local In 'N Out or Home Depot. Some departments have lots of hours and open shifts available, some don't (which I find strange). Casting is still pretty picky, though not as picky as they were 10+ years ago, and right now they are concentrating on hiring only those folks who are fully available (which I find pretty counter-productive, since they seem to be hiring someone maybe a little less desirable who is fully available then maybe an amazing person who goes to school in the mornings three days a week, and is fully available on those days after 12pm, like my friend was who recently got denied by Casting).

Other then that is that people are being raised up thinking that service industry jobs are beneath them. DLR is a very service oriented job and not very glamorous. Most of the positions are entry level and folks want to "skip" those types of jobs and work elsewhere more glam and less actual physical labor.

ToursbabeC3po
03-22-2006, 08:53 AM
We were in the park on Monday and everywhere we went they were short handed. Three people I personally know called in sick that day. It was not a "sick out" More of a "I really don't want to be here" call in. I don't blame them for how they feel. They are over worked and under paid.

cstephens
03-23-2006, 04:49 PM
We were in the park on Monday and everywhere we went they were short handed. Three people I personally know called in sick that day. It was not a "sick out" More of a "I really don't want to be here" call in. I don't blame them for how they feel. They are over worked and under paid.

I blame them. If they are overworked and underpaid, then they should quit and find a different job more acceptable to them rather than calling in bogus "sick" excuses.

ToursbabeC3po
03-23-2006, 07:41 PM
That is easier said then done. When you have worked somewhere for years and things suddenly change for the worse it is hard because you hope it does get better. Some people stay for the benefits, seniority, and pay they have built up after several years of service. Most love there jobs and are the people that make you happy in the park because they go that extra mile for you. So many changes have been negative recently that they hope it can't get any worse. I know people that have been there 25+ years and although they are not happy with all that is going on they still put a smile on there face for the guest. It just sucks that many people have the attitude like you do that they are expendable and replaceable for cheaper workers. Disney Cast members need your support more then ever right now. Many are working 50+ hours a week and then they get ignorant statements like this that make them wonder why they even do it.
Please don't take this as a personal attack there are many people that think they way you do and it is just to bad that the people that make Disney "The happiest place on earth" are so under appreciated.
A very close friend of mine had 35 years at the park and left last month not because he was ready to retire but because he was being pushed out and was afraid of getting fired. He was one of those cast members that was there because HE WANTED to be there. This makes me sick to my stomach and it is one of the reasons I refuse to by a season pass when mine expires in June. Disney no longer has my support as a guest or as a former cast member.

TP2000
03-24-2006, 12:22 AM
A very close friend of mine had 35 years at the park and left last month not because he was ready to retire but because he was being pushed out and was afraid of getting fired. He was one of those cast members that was there because HE WANTED to be there.

Sounds like Presenteeism to me. Or do managers just go around picking out CM's whose nametags say "Class of 1985" or lower and mysteriously force them to retire?

With all due respect, and I mean that very sincerely, all of the other arguments you mentioned didn't seem that valid. Either you like your job and you stick around, or you dislike your job and you get another one. No one forces you to stay at a job that you dislike and/or that pays you less than what you feel you deserve or can get elsewhere.

ToursbabeC3po
03-24-2006, 12:28 AM
No he had a perfect record

ToursbabeC3po
03-24-2006, 12:36 AM
Sounds like Presenteeism to me. Or do managers just go around picking out CM's whose nametags say "Class of 1985" or lower and mysteriously force them to retire?
I also wanted to point out that there are ALOT of great managers that have been forced to do things they would rather not do so I do not blame management at all. They are trying to hold on to there jobs just as much as the hourly cast members so they do what they are told. When I was termed my manager was very upset and apologised to me when she had to terminate me. There are good and bad Managers just as there are good and bad cast members

Burnt Toast
03-24-2006, 02:08 AM
When I was termed my manager was very upset and apologised to me when she had to terminate me.

May I ask why you were termed? You make it seem like it wasn't your fault and your manager was forced to do something horribly wrong.

cstephens
03-24-2006, 08:05 AM
When you have worked somewhere for years and things suddenly change for the worse it is hard because you hope it does get better.

Thanks for making that point for me, because I would have absolutely no idea what that would be like. It's not like I worked in a place that was great and then got worse and worse over the course of a couple years, so I finally decided I'd had enough and found a different job. Nope, it's not like I have any personal experience in this kind of thing.

It just sucks that many people have the attitude like you do that they are expendable and replaceable for cheaper workers.

Thanks for putting words in my mouth that I didn't say because you apparently think it helps your argument.

Many are working 50+ hours a week and then they get ignorant statements like this that make them wonder why they even do it.

Are they getting paid for working 50+ hours a week or are they free labor? Because working 50+ hours a week isn't that big a deal for me. But of course, if I don't agree with you, then I must be making ignorant statements. I have no idea what the working conditions are. I'm just saying that at some point, if it's really that bad, they have to get out. I can understand if they can't do it immediately, but they have to make plans to make a change. Just calling in sick because they don't want to be there anymore is, imo, a stupid way of handling the problem. Or they could just adopt Homer's work ethic: "You don't quit your job because you don't like it, you just go in and do it really half-[donkey]ed."

Please don't take this as a personal attack

No, I can't imagine why I'd take what you say as a personal attack just because you think my position is ignorant and that I have no idea what it's like working under bad conditions. But hey, no offense, right?

nursemelis374
03-24-2006, 08:46 AM
This makes me sick to my stomach and it is one of the reasons I refuse to by a season pass when mine expires in June. Disney no longer has my support as a guest or as a former cast member.

I am not trying to attack you toursbabe, but I think if you really want to take a stand and help out all of your ex-coworkers, you would stop going now.

I do think that they need to pay them a little bit more, but it really seems as if they are asking too much. I don't feel as if the cast members alone make DL what it is, which is how they are acting. As if there is nothing else at DL that is magical. Sure, they are helpful, but teenagers running it at the guest level is fine with me. It is the rides and shows that make people come to DL.

On a side note, I was there yesterday and it was fairly busy and it didn't really seem like park ops were all that different. It did seem that there were many "older" people were working and we saw a few people in suits walking around, but nothing freakishly out of the ordinary.

Bolivar
03-24-2006, 09:27 AM
I disagree. Cast members are not the main ingredient to the park but they are a very important part of the recipe and if I ran Disney I would put a lot of focus into recruiting and retaining the right people. I could be wrong, but I don't think money is what attracts people to work at Disney -- sure everyone would like more money, but if you build a culture that makes them feel appreciated and respected and like they are an important part of the park -- I think that would go much farther than paying more. When I was in college I told my employer my school schedule and they worked around it. If I had finals or anything that changed my availability, they worked around it. My limiting my schedule meant that I might not be able to get as many hours as I wanted, but they understood what it meant to have a part-time job -- it means that the job isn't the priority. If I didn't show up for scheduled work, that would be very serious, but it was easy to reschedule -- most of the time. And because they were so flexible for me, I would bend over backwards when they needed it.

Treating people the way I have been reading here does not make people feel good about their jobs and that will inevitably spill over into how they treat their customers and the overall attitude they have towards their jobs. They will just start not caring -- calling in sick if they don't feel like going, doing a half hearted job, etc. That isn't right, they should just leave and motivated people who care will leave, but many won't and those will be the Homer Simpsons.

Unions stopped horrible abuses and horrendous working conditions. They were a necessary part of the industrial revolution and they continue to be necessary; however, too often they become yet another force exploiting the worker to the advantage of their leadership. Or they often set up adversarial relationships where both management and the union get intrenched in their negotiations and "beating" the other side until they both lose sight of what it is they really want and what the "right" thing is. I don't know the answer, it would be a terrible world without unions, but at the same time there are problems there too. I have no idea if that is what is going on there with Disney/the Union but that comes to mind.

JookyG
03-24-2006, 10:04 AM
I'm not a CM, but having worked in the service industry, and I definitely support ToursbabeC3po's position (and don't understand why cstephens is being such a sarcastic, defensive jerk). Toursbabe's speaking from the heart, not trying to peeve anyone, and has obviously been in, or is still in, the trenches trying to make ungrateful guests happier than they deserve.

The CMs are clearly undervalued. This becomes obvious when you start paying attention to the rising chorus of complaints about service inside the parks. You get what you pay for. Disneyland is not a carnival where it's acceptable to have low-wage transient workers. And it's not just an amusement park--it's a show. A big, 50-year-running show, that just happens to have some cool rides inside it. Disney's not just paying for bodies, they're paying for talent, and not paying enough. Anyone can operate rides or run a cash register. But it takes a special, talented person who can endure the kind of abuse that I've seen ignorant guests dish out--guests who have never worked in the service industry or have forgotten how hard it is, guests who think the park revolves around them, and that the only purpose of the "help" is to make sure they have a good time. Well, that is the purpose, but the "help" isn't getting paid enough for what they do.

While I don't agree that having to work 30 hours to get benefits is unreasonable, I do agree that this will create a two-tier system that encourages management to get rid of long-timers. It's too bad. I love seeing CMs who love being there and have been there for years, and they have become quite a rare beast.

Sure, they are helpful, but teenagers running it at the guest level is fine with me. It is the rides and shows that make people come to DL.

This is true, but it is bad customer service that will keep them from returning. And bad customer service is what you're going to get when you're not willing to pay for quality employees.

I blame them. If they are overworked and underpaid, then they should quit and find a different job more acceptable to them rather than calling in bogus "sick" excuses.

Boy, I'm sick of hearing this sort of thing. Changing jobs is not nearly as easy as you saying it. Even if these folks don't have families, financial responsibilities, rent, need to eat, it's still very stressful to change jobs, even if there's a new one waiting for you before you quit the previous one. Short of bankrupting themselves by quitting, if calling in sick seems like the best/only/most-direct way to send a message to management, I for one support it. I would never blame the CMs, I would blame Disney managment for failing to hire and retain talent.

I recently became a Disney stockholder, because I truly believe in the changes I see coming through the work of Bob Iger and the acquisition of Pixar. But I certainly don't want dividends on the backs of the cast members. I consider better pay for CMs to be an investment. While it might not get first-time guests through the gates, it is instrumental in getting repeat business. Sure, the shows and attractions might be magical, but if the customer service is lacking, people will be less inclined to return.

cstephens
03-24-2006, 10:10 AM
trying to make ungrateful guests happier than they deserve.

Hmmm, interesting perspective.

Malcon10t
03-24-2006, 10:16 AM
teenagers running it at the guest level is fine with me. It is the rides and shows that make people come to DL.You are totally correct that people come for the show and the rides. But I think many people miss the fact that the "show" starts when you step on property. It is such a good show, you don't realize you are part of it. The "guest level" IS the show. Young adults work the show. Young adults are responsible for making sure the show is magical. When the cast no longer cares, the show will go downhill.

On a side note, I was there yesterday and it was fairly busy and it didn't really seem like park ops were all that different. It did seem that there were many "older" people were working and we saw a few people in suits walking around, but nothing freakishly out of the ordinary.You do realize what you saw was "regular" working staff. The older people you saw working were the regular staff, they are the ones this contract is covering.

adriennek
03-24-2006, 10:28 AM
We went twice this month and each and every cast member we encountered had a smile on his/her face. I posted a report about the amazing level of customer service that we received at Redd Rockett's Pizza Port when no less than 4 cast members personally helped us get our food and carry it to a table for us, at peak lunch hour.

I keep hearing about all these disgruntled workers, certainly Toursbabe has been talking for a long time about what she sees as bad conditions at the park, but there's still a lot of people who are showing up to work and putting on a very good show.

Adrienne

Bolivar
03-24-2006, 10:42 AM
Even if these folks don't have families, financial responsibilities, rent, need to eat, it's still very stressful to change jobs, even if there's a new one waiting for you before you quit the previous one.
Why on earth would it be stressful to change jobs if you don't have any financial responsibilities? Especially if you have one waiting for you.

Malcon10t
03-24-2006, 10:58 AM
We went twice this month and each and every cast member we encountered had a smile on his/her face. I posted a report about the amazing level of customer service that we received at Redd Rockett's Pizza Port when no less than 4 cast members personally helped us get our food and carry it to a table for us, at peak lunch hour.

I keep hearing about all these disgruntled workers, certainly Toursbabe has been talking for a long time about what she sees as bad conditions at the park, but there's still a lot of people who are showing up to work and putting on a very good show.

AdrienneI am getting ready to head back down there, and our last trip was Christmas. We have so rarely encountered a negative cast member, that the ones we had issues with stand out. MOST of the time, the cast members go so far out of their way for us, we just can't believe how helpful they are. Our experiences have been closer to Adrienne's.

nursemelis374
03-24-2006, 11:14 AM
You are totally correct that people come for the show and the rides. But I think many people miss the fact that the "show" starts when you step on property. It is such a good show, you don't realize you are part of it. The "guest level" IS the show. Young adults work the show. Young adults are responsible for making sure the show is magical. When the cast no longer cares, the show will go downhill.

I think that the custodial people are totally important and I will add them to my list of deserving of higher wages and benefits. I still think that even if DL has somewhat decent people working, but maintains good attractions, then people will keep coming to DL. I am just having a hard time empathizing with some of these people. I guess the good thing is that it looks like they are getting to vote on what they want.

You do realize what you saw was "regular" working staff. The older people you saw working were the regular staff, they are the ones this contract is covering.

Actually, on 3/5 of the 'older' people I saw working, I checked their tags and they said Class of 2004 or higher. My point was that maybe these were some of the suits from TDA practicing in case of a strike.

nursemelis374
03-24-2006, 11:15 AM

Adrienne

Good point!! I would agree that the CMs generally seem happy, maybe they are just that good at acting?

Malcon10t
03-24-2006, 11:22 AM
Good point!! I would agree that the CMs generally seem happy, maybe they are just that good at acting?I dont know about all of them. I do know one CM (class before 2000 to give you a reference) who is not happy about what is happening, but you would never tell by their actions in the park. The smile is always there, they are always overly courteous, etc... Basically the "leave it at the stage door" attitude. You would never tell they are unhappy about what is happening at the park.

Malcon10t
03-24-2006, 11:27 AM
I think that the custodial people are totally important and I will add them to my list of deserving of higher wages and benefits. I still think that even if DL has somewhat decent people working, but maintains good attractions, then people will keep coming to DL. I am just having a hard time empathizing with some of these people. Thats the difference between us I think. If I just want the "good rides", I can go to Six Flags or Great America (2 hours compared to 6 to Disneyland.) Even for my kids, what keeps us coming back is the atmosphere, which is sadly lacking at the other parks. Its been over 5 years since we have visited one of the others, they don't have the repeatablilty of Disneyland. They have teen ride operators. They have "somewhat decent" employees. But they don't have our repeat business.