PDA

View Full Version : Sore, Achy feet at DLR (merged)

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

cfrith
03-19-2006, 09:54 PM
When we went last (2 years ago) for 2 days my feet were so incredibly sore and achy from all the walking. I didn't have any blisters, just throbbing, painful feet. After the end of day 2 it was painful just sitting, let alone walking. I wore new balance running shoes. I am not/was not overweight at all. I exercise at least 4 times a week. I'm just curious because I never see anything on these boards about this, only about blisters and using moleskin and bodyglide. Does anyone have any ideas? This trip next month will be for 4 days and I'm getting worried that I'll need a wheelchair by day 3!!! I'm not even 30 yet!!! :eek:

kimmybear
03-19-2006, 10:02 PM
When we went last (2 years ago) for 2 days my feet were so incredibly sore and achy from all the walking. I didn't have any blisters, just throbbing, painful feet. After the end of day 2 it was painful just sitting, let alone walking. I wore new balance running shoes. I am not/was not overweight at all. I exercise at least 4 times a week. I'm just curious because I never see anything on these boards about this, only about blisters and using moleskin and bodyglide. Does anyone have any ideas? This trip next month will be for 4 days and I'm getting worried that I'll need a wheelchair by day 3!!! I'm not even 30 yet!!! :eek:

do you wear the same shoes everyday? it's better on your feet to rotate shoes so they don't get too used to one position. new balance shoes are good, but they tend to be more narrow. if you have shoes with a wider base, try those. sitting every so often is good. =)

phantomdilbert
03-19-2006, 10:45 PM
funny enough...i am worried about this too..but I'm 32 =). We are going next week, spending 5 days. So I needed a new pair of tennis shoes anyway and bought Nike cross trainers ($50). We bought a pair of crocs as well....very lightweight and supposedly used by nurses and the like. I was thinking of trading off between the two pairs.

orangechicken
03-19-2006, 10:55 PM
Your feet might be getting sore because of a lack of arch support in your shoes. If you are working out with them, you usually will not notice it because it is not for an extended period of time. But D-land is a totally different story with an 8 hour+ day on your feet. I would suggest going to a running store to get an insert called superfeet, it molds to your foot by your body heat so that your foot can be supported exactly how you need it. New Balance/Nike running shoes do come with an arch support, but it fades VERY quickly even though you will not notice it. If you do get new running shoes or arch supports, make sure to do it as soon as possible so that you can break them in before you go, one of the worst things people do is trying out brand new shoes the first day of your trip.

Another thing that you can do is work on strengthening and stretching the muscles of your foot. Simple resistance exercises aimed at foot/calf muscles will greatly increase your endurance. Example: Calf raises for building stamina, resistance bands for foot strength.

Hope this helps!

I Heart Disneyland!
03-19-2006, 11:19 PM
We bought a pair of crocs as well....very lightweight and supposedly used by nurses and the like. I was thinking of trading off between the two pairs.

I love my Crocs. They are what I wear when I'm on my feet at work as well as at the parks. They're not stylish shoes, but, when I am walking a lot...they are just the ticket. My feet still hurt at the end of the day, but, the Crocs help a lot.

SandraVB79
03-19-2006, 11:43 PM
I find that the Geox shoes help. They "breathe" and thus your feet don't get "overheated".
Practising before you go to DL also helps. I run around all day every day on high heels, so when I go to DL, I can about wear anything I want, and I am still good.

PS: walking makes your feet sore, but just "standing" is way way worse for your feet! Walking an hour is less painful than waiting during an hour for the parade. Try to avoid to just "stand" somewhere!!

PapiBear
03-19-2006, 11:49 PM
http://www.superfeet.com

Also try WalkFit Orthotics - http://www.walkfit.com/

rentayenta
03-20-2006, 05:20 AM
I have found that no matter what athletic shoes I wear at DL, my feet end up aching.

I wear Reefs. They are the only shoes I can wear without my feet killing.

www.reef.com

MsYumiBr
03-20-2006, 05:37 AM
I always bring Motrin or Tylenol. Between headaches from the fast rides and aching feet even after soaking in the tub and a good night's rest, switching shoes, putting new and additional insoles in my shoes, a little headache medicine does the job. If you don't take pills, I see a lot of young people with those shox shoes. Running around the park on the cement is what your feet do not like.

junglemom
03-20-2006, 05:40 AM
I have the exact same problem. The balls of my feet get it the worst. Last time I bought the Dr. Scholls gel inserts and a set for just the balls of my feet. I used both, and it helped sooooo much. I still had a bit of uncomfort, but only about 10% of what it usually was. By the 4th day, my feet were 100% A-OK. I need to find some good shoes for wide feet though. I am a flip flop fanatic, so wearing regular shoes at the park is a shock to the sides of my feet. OUCH!

SandraVB79
03-20-2006, 06:10 AM
I wore flipflops at DL.
I had my loafers on in the morning, by the time I went for the first time on Splash or GRR, I switched for flip-floppy sandals, I kept on wearing those during the day, and in the evening, while waiting for the 2nd Fantasmic!, I changed back into my loafers, because otherwise my toes would freeze and fall off.
It was actually rather comfortable. Now, I admit, it weren't the regular flip-flops (a sole with 2 plastic string that go between your toes), it were leather sandals with a thing that went between my toes.

jenpace
03-20-2006, 06:44 AM
Your feet might be getting sore because of a lack of arch support in your shoes. If you are working out with them, you usually will not notice it because it is not for an extended period of time. But D-land is a totally different story with an 8 hour+ day on your feet. I would suggest going to a running store to get an insert called superfeet, it molds to your foot by your body heat so that your foot can be supported exactly how you need it. New Balance/Nike running shoes do come with an arch support, but it fades VERY quickly even though you will not notice it. If you do get new running shoes or arch supports, make sure to do it as soon as possible so that you can break them in before you go, one of the worst things people do is trying out brand new shoes the first day of your trip.

Another thing that you can do is work on strengthening and stretching the muscles of your foot. Simple resistance exercises aimed at foot/calf muscles will greatly increase your endurance. Example: Calf raises for building stamina, resistance bands for foot strength.

Hope this helps!

I was just about to suggest Superfeet inserts too. I have to say they TOTALLY saved my feet on our last visit. My husband finally asked me to stop talking about my inserts all the time :eek: We were at DL for 6 days of constant walking. They made such a huge difference that upon returning home I went to the shoe store where I bought them specifically to thank the sales person who suggested them. They come in two or three different colors according to the level of support. Mine are the green ones and I still wear them everyday unless I'm wearing my Danskos :)

Jenn

Rhiannon8404
03-20-2006, 06:48 AM
...I still wear them everyday unless I'm wearing my Danskos :)

Aaaahhh, Danskos! I love my Danskos. I have a pair of clogs and a pair of sandals. I always take them with me to Disneyland. I wore my clogs all over Italy last spring...my feet were so happy.

hlbtimes2
03-20-2006, 07:27 AM
During our Oct trip I wore a pair of Nike walking shoes. My feet hurt so bad! They were not new shoes, but they werent very old either. I had wore them off and on for about a month before the trip. One day and I couldnt even think about putting them back on! I wore Teva's (with - gasp- socks! all about comfort, not fashion) the rest of the trip.

During our recent trip I wore a pair of well broken in leather keds. My feet never bothered me and I didnt get a single blister. I think I'll put them up until my May trip so I dont ruin them before that.LOL

junglemom
03-20-2006, 07:29 AM
I have found that no matter what athletic shoes I wear at DL, my feet end up aching.

I wear Reefs. They are the only shoes I can wear without my feet .

www.reef.com

Which ones, I have seen the flipflops around. Are the shoes somewhat wide??? Where did you get yours? A retail shop or the website? I need comfy shoes so bad!

junglemom
03-20-2006, 07:30 AM
One day and I couldnt even think about putting them back on! I wore Teva's (with - gasp- socks! all about comfort, not fashion)

LOL

JamieCara
03-20-2006, 07:56 AM
I know the feeling, but it wasn't my feet, it was my legs. Our legs were killing us from walking around WDW for 7 days! Take some Alieve since it's strong and put those DR SCHOLLS gellin pads inside your shoes to ease foot and back pain.

Cat H
03-20-2006, 08:26 AM
I usually wear running shoes or cross trainers and my feet always hurt. The last time I went I wore my cheap $5 flip flops and my feet did not hurt at all.

Malcon10t
03-20-2006, 08:49 AM
I wear my New Balance (I buy Men's cause they are wider and more comfortable.) My kids usually wear their Vans. We are in the park maybe 8 hours a day (sometimes more, sometimes less) for 6-8 days (usually one off in the hotel.) My daughter wears ankle braces due to some ankle injuries. And we all take Ibprofen (either feet or head or ankles or knees!)

momuvseven
03-20-2006, 08:57 AM
I have tried different shoes at DLR. Shoes that I can wear on my feet to walk and stand all day at work seem to still cause me pain when worn to DLR. I have had the best results wearing Birkenstocks.

Last time we were there we tried something new and the whole family fought over it LOL. I took a big bin of epson salts and a whirlpool foot bath. That really made the difference, more so than soaking in the tub.

For ourselves we take some Tylenol/Motrin. We take the children's version for the kids. Even if they aren't complaining they may have pain/shin splints by the end of the day. We give it to them at bedtime and during the day if they ask.

Anne

potterphreak
03-20-2006, 09:27 AM
My favorite trick is to have 2 pairs at the park with me. I am a Birkenstock/Reef Flippies/Converse kind of gal and I can't stand too much shoe. I usually start the day with my Reef's (BEST flipflops ever-$20 WITH arch support!!!) and can go all day and night with those, no problem. If the day starts REALLY cold, I will start the day with Birks or some kind of sneakers and when my feet start getting achy, switch over to Reef's. Then, if your feet get achy (mine never do in Reef's and I am very overweight!) switch back to the other shoes. Just a suggestion! Also, relax at night in the tub with a Therapy bath bomb from Basin (in Downtown Disney) or if you don't feel comfortable in a hotel tub, just soak your feet. NIIIIICE!

raych30
03-20-2006, 09:36 AM
It's funny, my cheap flip flops are more comfy at DL than my $85 pair of tennis shoes. Go figure..

rentayenta
03-20-2006, 09:47 AM
Which ones, I have seen the flipflops around. Are the shoes somewhat wide??? Where did you get yours? A retail shop or the website? I need comfy shoes so bad!

I buy them when we go to So Cal from Huntington Surf and Sport. I wear the flip flops. They are seriously the most comfy shoes ever. I will even wear them at DL in Dec/Jan during the day and change into something closed toed for night.

cfrith
03-20-2006, 09:54 AM
Thank you so much everyone for these wonderful, wonderful ideas! I had been looking at the Reef flip flops but thought that would be bad for so much walking. Maybe I'll try to switch between those and other shoes. I will definitely get the superfeet inserts too! I also love Dansko. I have the Lolita Sandal but not sure if it would work because I noticed last summer that long days in them and my feet get sore. Thank you again! :)

MissKIA
03-20-2006, 10:11 AM
You never know what you'll learn on here. It never occured to me to take Tylonol or Advil for sore feet! Duh!! LOL

I've already bought 2 pairs of Skechers (one full shoe and the other is the slide type) and a pair of sandles that I bought at Walmart, but they are the most comfortable sandles I have ever tried on. All padded and elasticy. We aren't going until August so I plan on breaking them all in before we go. I looked at crocs, but I just don't think I can do it. They're so ugly! lol