PDA

View Full Version : Ok, how bad is screaming in DCA?

Pages : [1] 2 3

Juniper
03-19-2006, 12:52 PM
I have always refused to ride and we are going in April, which will probably be our last trip for a long while since I wanna save and get to WDW someday!!!, and I am thinking maybe I should try it once. Here is a little about me, if you could help compare the ride for me please:

I love all the mountain rides in DL, especially Space and Matterhorn, and I think it is because they go around as they go down, no big drops.

the only time I get a little sick feeling is on a really swinging gondola (sp?) on the sun wheel, and on ToT which I did once, and it was ok.

I am most nervous about the upside down part, and previous co-workers told me you go so fast you can't tell you are upside down, which really isn't the best way to try and comfort someone into riding something! So I never did it.

junglemom
03-19-2006, 12:56 PM
I also get sick on the swinging gondola, and one time after I had eaten and it was dark out, I got a little nausious on ToT. Screaming has never made me sick. You feel pressed back against your seat, and it's thrilling, but I just haven't ever felt sick. I think you'll really like it. And it is true the loop is very fast.

kohl
03-19-2006, 12:59 PM
I think you sould try it. I get a little motion sickness on some rides, but as long as you watch where you are going you should be fine. The only time I felt a little quesy on that ride is whne my kids wanted to go on 3 times in a row!:eek:

Juniper
03-19-2006, 01:10 PM
I am afraid I will like it and think what I dork I've been! Back in 2003 was my first trip since i was 6, and I don't remmeber too much from back then, and I was afraid I wouldn't like the mountain rides, space was closed, but I waited until our last day in the morning to ride matterhorn, and I loved it and now I try to ride it every time I see it's not longer than 10 minutes or so.

The weird part about me feeling sick is I feel quesy and like I need to eat right after the ride, like my stomach is empty, it's weird, and it costs me money! LOL

My theory is to ask to wait for the front seat, since like you said I could watch where we are going, and I feel it is the easiest spot since the track holds you as you start to go down a drop, since the last part of the train is still getting over the hump, and the tails seem to ship more, did that make sense, and does anyone agree with that thoguht?

TikiGeek
03-19-2006, 01:18 PM
I love all the mountain rides in DL, especially Space and Matterhorn, and I think it is because they go around as they go down, no big drops.

the only time I get a little sick feeling is on a really swinging gondola (sp?) on the sun wheel, and on ToT which I did once, and it was ok.If you can survive the Sun Wheel - you're home free. :D

If you love the "mountains" you will be addicted to Screamin'. It's a very smooth coaster - don't worry about the loop - you don't feel upside down - it's more like, cool! look at the inverted horizon - :D

You'll love it!

Imagineer In Training
03-19-2006, 01:24 PM
well i dont think its bad or scary but the one time i went on it the loop gave me a headache for the rest of our trip.....i havent gone on it since for fear of having a bad trip because of an attraction.....but it really is a good coaster...assuming it doesnt break down lol.....that sounded negetive. does anyone have any idea why it breaks down so much? it seems like everytime we're there it breaks down at least once

Hakuna Makarla
03-19-2006, 01:32 PM
ok, listen to me
I hate even looking at coasters, and I went on this thinking well if my heart fails me I am in big trouble. I did it, it was so fun I did it 3 times more!! do it, you will regret it if you do not. It was not scary, in fact Big thunder scared me more! Do it, then come back and tell us how much you loved it. I f I was wrong well at least you did it right?

Juniper
03-19-2006, 01:40 PM
ok, I think I am over being scared, you all are a lot better at this than those co-workers trying to get me to try it.

but my next problem would be that I am big, and things like space are quite a tight fit, I am snug it it, but it doesn't hurt me anywhere when I squeeze in it. Do you think it will be ok? and do they have single rider for this?

MattyMouse330
03-19-2006, 01:51 PM
The weird part about me feeling sick is I feel quesy and like I need to eat right after the ride, like my stomach is empty, it's weird, and it costs me money! LOL

Ha! That's exactly what happens to me if I get motion sickness. I'm like "Oh..my...god, I feel terrible....Can we go eat?"

MattyMouse

Juniper
03-19-2006, 01:56 PM
Ha! That's exactly what happens to me if I get motion sickness. I'm like "Oh..my...god, I feel terrible....Can we go eat?"

MattyMouse

It doesn't happen if I feel a little yucky on a car ride or anywhere else, it must be part of the disney "magic" as another way to get us to spend money!! :)

Malcon10t
03-19-2006, 02:01 PM
ok, I think I am over being scared, you all are a lot better at this than those co-workers trying to get me to try it.

but my next problem would be that I am big, and things like space are quite a tight fit, I am snug it it, but it doesn't hurt me anywhere when I squeeze in it. Do you think it will be ok? and do they have single rider for this?
I am "big" also, and it isn't a problem. I also was nervous and it was only a few trips ago I actually rode it. My son talked me into it promising to talk me through it and he did. I really did not want to go upside down. But your coworkers are right, you never realize you are actually upside down. We even did it in the rain and that was a riot.

Hakuna Makarla
03-19-2006, 02:18 PM

hee hee hee I take you have never seen my picture, I am big big, but I can fit on it perfect, with out being squished. Do the ride!! If I am wrong and you do not like it come back let me have it ok. :D I promise, you will enjoy it, its nothing, believe me. I am afraid of everything!
say did you ever do tot??? Now thats on ride that scares the be gee;s out of me:eek:

kimmybear
03-19-2006, 02:58 PM
I have always refused to ride and we are going in April, which will probably be our last trip for a long while since I wanna save and get to WDW someday!!!, and I am thinking maybe I should try it once. Here is a little about me, if you could help compare the ride for me please:

the only time I get a little sick feeling is on a really swinging gondola (sp?) on the sun wheel, and on ToT which I did once, and it was ok.

I am most nervous about the upside down part, and previous co-workers told me you go so fast you can't tell you are upside down, which really isn't the best way to try and comfort someone into riding something! So I never did it.

i too was nervous aboutgoing upside down, but like the others have said, it goesso fast you don't even notice it. and if youdo, all it feels like is a slight pressure on your head, like a small headache that passes in seconds. if you are going to ride, do like the little recording says and put your head against the back of the seat before you go up the big hill- it helps. another thing is to watch your head. maybe it's just me, but my head always get slammed around a lot between the shoulder restraints. but i'm really short (exactly 5 feet), so i don't think it'll be a problem for you. and just remember, it's called screamin', so if you're scared, just scream. :D

p.s. the swinging gondolas give you a different kind of motion sickness- more of windy road kind of feel. good luck!

findin mickeys
03-19-2006, 03:29 PM
I am in camp with all the others. It took me about my third trip to DCA before I finally went on and it is the best. The one trick that works for me, is to close your eyes. I don't know why, but when I do that, I feel like I am on Space Mtn. and it does not bother me. I love Space also, but for some reason that loop in Scream took me a while to get over.

It is a fantastic roller coaster. Very smooth and a lot of fun! You will not regret riding it.

biolabetty
03-19-2006, 04:22 PM
I love going fast on roller coasters, but I hate going upside down. I can always feel when we are doing it, even with my eyes closed. My head compresses down into my neck, and I don't like the way it feels at all! If this roller coaster didn't have the loop, I would really like it, because the rest is very fun. That being said, I am a firm believer in trying something at least once before you say you don't like it. I've done all kinds of things that sounded pretty scary and ended up loving most of them. I just don't like upside down.

JookyG
03-19-2006, 06:52 PM
I've got a partial ride-through video you can watch, if that'll help ease your mind. I didn't include the loop, though. It's the blast-off through the first lift hill. The ride-through is part of a 12-minute video you can download here: http://pbarrie.libsyn.com/index.php?post_id=43276. The ride-through is at about 1:50.

You'll love the ride--don't worry. If you don't, then you'll never have to agonize about not going on it again. It's a win-win :)

TTFN92
03-19-2006, 08:17 PM
I am afraid I will like it and think what I dork I've been! Back in 2003 was my first trip since i was 6, and I don't remmeber too much from back then, and I was afraid I wouldn't like the mountain rides, space was closed, but I waited until our last day in the morning to ride matterhorn, and I loved it and now I try to ride it every time I see it's not longer than 10 minutes or so.

My theory is to ask to wait for the front seat, since like you said I could watch where we are going, and I feel it is the easiest spot since the track holds you as you start to go down a drop, since the last part of the train is still getting over the hump, and the tails seem to ship more, did that make sense, and does anyone agree with that thoguht?

I don't think the front would be the best choice for your first ride. I think it is a little scarrier in the front because you can see the track and there is nothing in front of you. I think you'd do best in the middle and then work up to the back or front.

This is a very smooth roller coaster and a much better ride than Matterhorn. It is also NOTHING like ToT or the Sunwheel. I love ToT but it doesn't feel the same as Screamin'. You couldn't pay me enough to go on the SW :eek: . When we were there last week with my sister and her family and our parents, our parents (who are in their 70s) and our husbands took our kids
on the SW and we watched from the ground. Our other sister won't go on it either. But we all LOVE Screamin' :D , just not 5x in a row :p .

Go on it. You'll regret it if you don't.

Juniper
03-19-2006, 08:21 PM
If anyone was wondering, I meant the tails of the coasters WHIP, not ship, LOL :)

TTFN92
03-19-2006, 08:23 PM
well i dont think its bad or scary but the one time i went on it the loop gave me a headache for the rest of our trip.....i havent gone on it since for fear of having a bad trip because of an attraction.....but it really is a good coaster...assuming it doesnt break down lol.....that sounded negetive. does anyone have any idea why it breaks down so much? it seems like everytime we're there it breaks down at least once

One night it "broke down" while we were there and we got in the fast pass line when it opened. We were wondering why it broke down and 2 girls in front of us said that they were on it when it happened and it was because someone jumped the fence into where the coaster is and that they had to walk off of it. It made me feel better that it had nothing to do with the ride.

sambo
03-19-2006, 08:25 PM
It is a surprisingly smooth ride. The loop is a minor thing as it is over so quickly with hardly any sensation of being upside-down. The ride is short enough that there is little time for the "Queasies" to set in. The launch doesn't seem any different than riding in the car with my son driving - except screamin is much safer.

Try it once and you will want to get right back on. That is a common reaction.

TowerofTerror
03-19-2006, 08:40 PM
It`s not bad at all. I think it pretty smooth. I say if you want to know how it look up a video of the whole ride say on vision fanatics.com

kimmybear
03-19-2006, 08:47 PM
I don't think the front would be the best choice for your first ride. I think it is a little scarrier in the front because you can see the track and there is nothing in front of you. I think you'd do best in the middle and then work up to the back or front.

This is a very smooth roller coaster and a much better ride than Matterhorn. It is also NOTHING like ToT or the Sunwheel. I love ToT but it doesn't feel the same as Screamin'. You couldn't pay me enough to go on the SW :eek: . When we were there last week with my sister and her family and our parents, our parents (who are in their 70s) and our husbands took our kids
on the SW and we watched from the ground. Our other sister won't go on it either. But we all LOVE Screamin' :D , just not 5x in a row :p .

Go on it. You'll regret it if you don't.

i would think that the front would be scarier than any other seat because of the anticipation... but then again it helps to know what's going on!
i went on screamin 5 times in a row and boy... it was SO much fun, but my head got banged around too much. that was a bad headache. still, i think i'd do it again! hehe...:D

dkr1
03-19-2006, 09:05 PM
I love Screamin'. After reading all about how awful DCA supposedly was, I was shocked to find my new favorite ride at Disneyland wasn't in Disneyland.
Of course I still love the entire DL mountain range.
I would say the loop does go by quickly, and since it is a straight-ahead loop there's no lateral G's to go with being upside down for a second. If you just watch the train ahead of you or the track it should be easy. Now if you're me, you intentionally look directly to the right for some extra fun...

MommyTo3Boys1Girl
03-19-2006, 09:47 PM
It is a good coaster. I do get nauseous on it though, but only if I go more than one time in a row. So even if you like it, don't go again right away.
NO WAY will I go on the SW. And I don't get nauseous on ToT.

SandraVB79
03-19-2006, 11:59 PM
I can go many times in a row on it! Especially since it does have a single rider line!!!!

You don't really "feel" the loop, your chin is pushed to your chest a little, and that's it. Now, I don't like the first row, since it is so much scarier. Rows 3-5 are better for first-timers!!

Have fun!