PDA

View Full Version : Who's went to DLR without the kids?

nvmom
03-17-2006, 02:58 PM
Yes, we just returned from DLR a couple weeks ago... but we're already planning again. We'll most likely go back next March w/the kids and Grandpa & Grandma (dh's parents) will come too. Their first every trip.

But, prior to that, dh & I are seriously considering taking a couples trip for dh's 35th birthday in early Dec. His bday is Dec. 3. It seems that around his actual bday might be a great time to catch the decorations, but miss the crowds, yes?

Who else has left the kids home? What did you do that you might not have typically done w/your kids? Shoot, we think enjoying a drink or a nice cup of coffee in DTD and just listening to the music would be fab! Maybe a meal at the Blue Bayou?

What about hotel/motel suggestions? As a family we've stayed at the Desert Palms and the Park Inn. We'd still want to be walking distance. I love to swing a stay at a resort hotel... but I don't know. We'd be looking at 3 days & 2 nights. Thanks!

nvmom

junglemom
03-17-2006, 03:07 PM
It is so much fun. I went with a girlfriend in October. We did alot more laid back people watching type of activities. The trips focus was definitely all about the food. With kids there, you have to focus a bit on the characters and rides too. Oh man each day started with, where are we going to eat today? The lines didn't matter, who cares if we stood there for an hour. We new to go potty before we got in line. I have to say, I got tired a lot faster than I would have expected. I thought with out strollers and kids to drag around, I'd be skipping from ride to ride. What I realized is that with kids, you have to relax because you are forced to. As two women we just kept going and going, until Friday we could barely walk another step. We went back to the hotel for a nap, and that made all the difference in the world. It was funny we slept for 3 hours! So, that is my suggestion, don't forget your down time.

Mommy2NicknMax
03-17-2006, 03:12 PM
First of all, be careful with your dates. That is typically the weekend of Candlelight Processional and it will be busy. I usually go the following week/weekend and it's better (with the weekend being more crowded).

I've gone to DL without my kids every December for the past three years. It's a whole different park when you're not pushing a stroller, LOL. I like to go see all the shows or just listen to the music and people watch. Stuff I don't normally do when we're all on vacation. I think you and your DH will have a wonderful time.

As for where to stay, I've stayed at the BW Park Place Inn. It's a nice short walk to the park.

Dedwards
03-17-2006, 03:29 PM
I have gone without the kids I have to say I didn't enjoy it nearly as much. I love to become a kid with them but I just get nearly the magic without my kids. I Never tire of playing with or enjoying the kids and my wife. Now I do have wife and I vacations as well but not to disneyland.

Although if you can enjoy it without them then by all mean enjoy away we need time for us as well

JookyG
03-17-2006, 03:57 PM
I always go to DLR without the kids because I don't have any. I go with my sweetie and with friends (we're all 30-somethings) once or twice a year, and every time I'm glad I don't have kids in tow, don't have to worry about naps and sweaters and dealing with the motor homes people call strollers these days. True, Disneyland is for kids, but all it takes is a little imagination to have fun like a kid again.

If you want to avoid the stroller derby in Fantasyland, DEFINITELY take advantage of Early Entry. In early December, I was able to go on 7 rides in that first hour, most of which were walk-ons. No wait for Dumbo, no wait for Peter Pan, 5 min wait for Matterhorn, and nary a stroller in sight. If you know what Fantasyland looks like on a crowded weekend afternoon, you'll know what a precioius sight this is. (Check out the latest videocast on the Window to the Magic podcast--it's all about Early Entry with 4 adults.)

For adult fun, definitely hit DCA for a glass or two of wine. Go to Blue Bayou. Take long slow strolls through the park, hand-in-hand. Stop to listen to all the unscheduled entertainment. Visit the Disney Gallery. Do all the romantic stuff that most kids would probably find boring.

Downtown Disney is a great place for adults, with the bars and clubs. Might be a little chilly in December, but the Uva Bar is great (that round outdoor bar in the middle of DD).

Yippee! You're going to have a blast! But yeah, watch out for the Candlelight Procession. It's great, if that's your cup of tea, but the park will be packed.

jrmichelbook
03-17-2006, 04:01 PM
I have to say that I have not been in your shoes. I've only known Disneyland from a "kids free" perspective. I absolutely loved it. This fall I am taking my four year old and I absolutely can't wait. I hope it is even more fun!

experiment626
03-17-2006, 04:37 PM
I am really considering going w/o my kids. For the past couple years I have really wanted to go on a SOLO trip, just me. Well my birthday is a couple months away and I really want to go.

Klutch
03-17-2006, 04:58 PM
On my last DL trip, we took our daughter and her friend, but they were high schoolers and spent most of their time in the hotel sleeping in and watching TV. So, DW and I spent most of our time in DL with just the two of us.

While parents of wee ones would likely enjoy the opporunity to sleep in, I enjoyed getting up and getting an early start without worrying about getting any kids ready to go. I did the rope drop for the first time; woo-hoo!

If you're going just as a couple, nice dinners are definitely in order. Try Granville's Steakhouse (name after actress and wife of the original owner, Bonita Granville) at the Disneyland Hotel. While you're their, stroll through the grounds and enjoy the scenery. Try the Napa Rose. Try whatever you like. You don't have to worry about, "Ooh, yuck, I want grilled cheese!". :D

Take some time to soak in the atmosphere of Disneyland. Experience this very special park and understand why it's Walt's own vision. Tour the Disney Gallery. Take the Walk in Walt's Footsteps tour.

Many times I've heard people say it's pointless to visit DL without the kids. Oh, how wrong they are! ;)

hlbtimes2
03-17-2006, 06:14 PM
I havent done DL with out children, in the 7+ years I've been a parent. We used to love it though. In about 47 days I will experience the park as a mother with out children! I'm going with two other mothers, also with out children. I'm sure we'll see and do things much differently. Ask me again in May and I'll be able to answer the questions better. LOL

raych30
03-17-2006, 06:23 PM
I loved DL without our kids! Not that I don't love it with them as well, but man o man, what a different park without them. My husband took me to DL for my birthday last year, it was such a wonderful day. We strolled hand in hand and just "took it easy" which is something our kids won't let us do :D
We had a truly romantic magical day..

A few posts up, whoever said the line about dealing with the motor homes people call strollers these days.....that was the funniest thing I've read in a long time!!!! :D

Rachel

Mark Mywords
03-17-2006, 06:32 PM
I am really considering going w/o my kids. For the past couple years I have really wanted to go on a SOLO trip, just me. Well my birthday is a couple months away and I really want to go.

Go for it!! The park can be a lot of fun on a solo trip!

My birthday was March 11th and I was stuck in Long Beach on business. I couldn't stand the idea of being so close to Anaheim, so I managed to get a cheap car rental and head over to the park for the evening of my birthday. It was great!

momuvseven
03-17-2006, 07:11 PM
That would be my dream vacation but I would soooo guilty. Maybe in a few years when they are all obnoxious teens!

used to be momuvseven now momuveight2B

cindyland
03-17-2006, 08:09 PM
I had the great experience of going to DL for a day with three friends. I had just done the family trip a few months earlier so no guilt. The girlfriends and I had an absolute blast! One hadn't been since she was 6 so we got her the "Honored Citizen" badge and dragged her to the rope drop. Then we ran to Space Mountain (the ride when we were teen-agers). We made the friend "drive" the car on Indy and told her she was a lousy driver. We had a great time watching Tarzan...and we bought swords and had a sword fight on Main Street. Truly memorable. No cutting food, no telling kids to get off the chain/rope, no one complaining the lines were soooo long.

If you can swing it, do it.

My first trip to DL with my husband before we had kids was fun too, but we were yearning for kids so it wasn't quite the same (nine months later we had a kid to take to DL!).
:D

Tinkermommy
03-17-2006, 08:46 PM
A friend and I took a "secret" trip to Disneyland in November to do some Santa shopping while our kids were in school. We go a few times each month and LOVE to go with our kids, but that was a really fun day. The best part about it was getting to ride Space Mountain and Thunder Mountain without holding on to a kid. I'd never ridden those rides with my hands up, because I'm always hanging onto my daughter, who is 10 but is so small I'm always afraid she'll slip out of a ride.

We rode with our arms up and screamed like teenagers (which we definitely are not, LOL!) -- that's what made it so much fun! So...do that!

I Heart Disneyland!
03-17-2006, 08:48 PM
Many times! Of course, my kids are now 24 & 26, but, there were times when we'd go without them if hubby had a business trip in So. Cal. and I'd tag along. We did take my daughter with us (she's 24) this past October. It was so fun to have her along again. Many great memories!

snoopyfan
03-17-2006, 08:55 PM
Junglemom is right. We had a great, relaxing time. I think we both missed our kids, but knew we would be back at the park with them soon. Just do what you want to do and don't ride anything you don't want to. Sit and enjoy the atmosphere. Look for the hidden Mickeys...things like that. You'll have fun!

Keurigirl
03-17-2006, 10:34 PM
Well let's see, I've actually never been WITH kids!!

My husband and I are 28 and have been going together for the past 6 years, every year. In fact, in the past 6 months we've done DLR twice and DW once for my birthday!

We mostly avoid Toontown, but that's because we've seen it and it's not something we need to do again since it's mostly for the little ones. Other than that, it's probably the same! We love it and can't wait until we have kids to take there.

MommyTo3Boys1Girl
03-17-2006, 11:31 PM
I was there May 5th and 6th without kids, with Wendi from these boards. DH and I have gone before we had kids, and we went early last spring just one night for a few hours, while I was on an overnight with him for work. It was fun. BUT not the same as being there with the kids. Not the same magic, but still nice for a break every now and then.

asharpcook
03-18-2006, 12:17 AM
DH took me to DL this past November for a birthday surprise. (my birthday was in October, but scheduling issues made the trip in Nov.)
We had always done DL with kids before. We were much more relaxed this time, and really enjoyed just walking about, taking our time to get from point A to point B. We enjoyed a wonderful lunch at the Blue Bayou on Thanksgiving day, and took the time to listen to the carolers, the Dapper Dan's, the piano player on Main Street (sorry...can't remember his name, !), the sounds from the Dentist office and the piano lessons just off Main St.
I did enjoy not having to count heads or run someone to the bathroom, but at the same time, a bit of the magic seemed missing. I really love to see my boy's faces during the parades, or on their favorite rides. My eldest is 20 and my youngest 12, so they aren't so small anymore, but they each love the Disney Magic as much as I do.
So...Pros: No head counting, free to do what you want, when you want, shopping without someone begging for something else, no emergency potty breaks. Enjoying quality time with DH.
Cons: Missed the kids, .........got over that one pretty quick though!
AS:)

DrivingtoDisneyAZ
03-18-2006, 06:54 AM
We took a kids-less trip Nov 2004 and it was wonderful! Our kids are all very young yet (currently 5, 3, 2) so there were tons of things dh/I got to do which we couldn't normally: going on some of the scarier rides together (Splash, TOT), seeing shows (Aladdin would have been difficult with the younger two who were babies at the time), shopping (that many kids in a store? lol, enough said), hopping the train/monorail without having to worry about a stroller, etc.

Didn't feel the least bit guilty about going; of course we had planned a family trip for the next month anyway, so maybe that's part of it. I will say it made THAT trip better, dh/I knowing that we got to do most of what we wanted to do on our solo trip.

David&Emmy's Mom
03-18-2006, 10:21 AM
Two of my best friends and I flew down last August for a Styx concert at HOB and two and a half days in the parks. We had a blast! We are all 40-somethings and really relished getting away from hubbies, kids, work, the housework, etc, even if just for a long weekend. We made some great memories together. It is not a requirement that you take your kids every trip! I highly recommend a girls' only getaway if only to restore mental health.