PDA

View Full Version : Imagineering Attraction Idea

Techie7
04-13-2002, 06:17 AM
With the 50th anniversary of WED (WDI) coming up I think it would interesting to put in a small venue similar to the Animation building (smaller) that could serve as a perm. environment to show old film clips of the parks. Additionally, room could be allocated for models and concept sketches. Changing this out bi-monthley could give a large draw to people interested in this area. The gallery would continue to do work similar to what is has now (as well as the exhibit before). A perm. tribute should be built for the WDI and an attractions seems like an interesting idea.

....... I now officially open this thread to attacks on all fronts. Eeeek
(One more thought every six months a new short film honoring the work of an Imagineer.)

Uncle Dick
04-13-2002, 09:06 AM
I really do like the idea, and I think I have a perfect place for it.... the old CircleVision theater. Think about it. There're already a bunch of old attraction vehicles in the preshow area and a nifty screen for showing movies. The giant CircleVision room could easily be converted into an "Animation building" style presentation, with individual exhibits set up around the periphery of the room. The space used by the neglected NASA Space Experience/Mission to Mars advertisement could be reclaimed by the building and turned into an abutting exhibit hall.

I think the turnover time you have planned for the exhibit is a bit too ambitious. Slight changes every six months or so would be more realistic than a bimonthly sort of thing (as much as I'd like something that changes constantly, I don't think Disney would allocate the resources for it. Just look at Innoventions...).

The only challenge I see is in making the exhibit interesting to regular visitors and die hard Disney fans alike. Just think of what little traffic The Disney Gallery or Great Moments with Mr. Lincoln get....

cemeinke
04-13-2002, 10:13 AM
Well as a Disney Geek, I certainly like the idea too.

I agree with Uncle Dick though that a bi-monthly change-out would probably be a bit too ambitious (and would tend to alienate the non-AP Disney Geeks). 6 months would be fine, even an annual exhibit would be ok.

As for traffic, I don't think that matters as long as you can use it to bring in the dollars. There's a great merchandising opportunity in this which might just sustain it; Attraction posters, concept art, attraction pins, some documentary video/dvds, construction photos, etc. Maybe they'd even make my fantasy souvenir, a Disneyland Map with transparent overlays so you can see how the park has changed over the years - did I mention I was a Disney geek?

It could also be a place to showcase projects in other Disney properties, generate interest in them, and ultimately increae their cash flow - which all contribute to the bottom line of increasing Michael Eisner's bonus ;)

Nigel2
04-13-2002, 08:42 PM
I think it would be a good idea (well odds are it would have to be past ones or only small amounts of info on new attractions to keep some suspense). But out of all the choices I would have to say that Cemeinke has the most realistic, since they would want everyone to see the contents of the display (which would last probably last for a few years)... but if they wanted to make it even eaiser they could do it like the gallery part of the Animation building where most of it is "timeless" with only one part devoted to a current/recent project.

dcadon
04-13-2002, 09:25 PM
I remember seeing a model of Splash Mountain on Main Street somewhere a year or two before the ride opened.
Why don't they do this more often.
They did have the DCA preview center which was cool...when DCA was being built. I think they should retire that model and replace it with Pooh/Flick/TOT models to generate interest in these new projects.
Unlike with Splash and DCA, the new attractions are out of view for most guests so it seems stupid to put forth the time and effort in building new things when they miss easy promotional opportunities for them.
Watch, two weeks before Pooh opens we'll be bombarded with hastely put together promotional spots with those same annoying kids from the DCA commercials.

Maybe it's a case of too many execs spoiling the soup...err...park.

__________________________________________________ __
...and I had a funnel cake, I don't think I mentioned that.

Nigel2
04-13-2002, 09:30 PM
Well all the recent attractions that were put in have had showcases... New Tomorrowland, Autopia, DCA, Indy.

Ace
04-15-2002, 02:44 PM
would we like that? yes. would they like that? no. I think the regular guest likes more explosions and drops than slow rides/walkthroughs/exhibits nowadays.

corrinhorn
04-15-2002, 03:58 PM
They may also be expecting long lines for the Buzz Lightyear attraction...?

However, I concur with what Uncle Dick said...I think that CircleVision would be perfect...Very few changes would need to be made to the facility, and whatever they end up doing with the Buzz Lightyear attraction could tie in with it, Maybe put something over there for all of the promotional things that WDI did (i.e. Toy Story Funhouse, Disney Afternoon Avenue) and divide it up into a few areas...

The merchendise tie-in is also a great Idea. The few things that they have in the Gallery is not enough. If they put a bigger emphasis on these items in a outside store instead of an up-a-flight-of-stairs-in-an-outta-the-way-kinda-place, they could easily pay for the attraction in a few months...

I am just sick of walking by a half empty Tomorrowland!!!

IMHO

RStar
05-13-2002, 05:06 PM
I agree, I think they should change the name to Depressingland.
I think using the Circlevission for it is a great idea. It fits in to the 'Teaching" theme, as well as the "retro-future" thing that is Tomarrowland.

You got my vote! Now who do we call?

Ace
05-13-2002, 06:02 PM
buzz lightyear attraction?

Nigel2
05-13-2002, 10:12 PM
It's like a cross (over-simplified) between cartoon spin and the MIB ride, the cars are always moving like the HM and they have 2 guns and you shoot at targets and you can rotate the car with a lever instead of having to turn it by hand.

Techie7
05-14-2002, 06:01 AM
Talk about a thread from the dead. I know that UD must have been behind this. :D I was looking at the threads and saw that I had started this one but I could not remember it. Ahhh memories. :)