PDA

View Full Version : [Parking] tram vs. PeopleMover vs. Monorail

potzbie
03-15-2006, 07:30 PM
I didn't want to post to the existing PeopleMover thread(s).

A poll!

Q. For those who remember the PeopleMover, which is more fun or exciting to ride:
(a.) the tram from Mickey And Friends to the Entrace Plaza.
(b.) the Tomorrowland PeopleMover.
(c.) the Monorail.

I am curous whether it is the SPEED or some other aspect that makes one an attraction that one remembers.

I have no fond memories of the PeopleMover, since it failed to impress.
Yet, the Monorail is still a kick.
I don't know why the Monorail is still fun, but the PeopleMover wasn't fun.
Do you?

Imagineer In Training
03-15-2006, 07:52 PM
i would say keep the monarail...mostly becuase of its speed and efficiency when it comes to getting people around.

why do people remember an attraction? well wouldnt that be up to the person? generally attractions are remembered fondly because they are considered nostaligic, they hold fond memories for people. But people also remember the things that worked for them, speed could be it or it could be theme, magic....creativity....use of imagination, anything really. its really all in the eye of the beholder

* BEST PART OF THE MONARAIL: getting to ride in the front seat and get to know the cast member driving the thing...fun experience every time!

CaptainHook15
03-15-2006, 09:29 PM
Peoplemover, without a doubt!

The others are enjoyable, but the PM is tops. Not too fast, not too slow, great speed for looking and actually seeing things in some detail. A bit of wind in the face is always a good thing. All the music you heard along the way was great. You had the speed/TRON tunnel, views of Space Mountain, Star Tours, and some great shots of the Matterhorn. Rarely was there much of a wait, if any, since it was always moving. It was a great chance to just sit and relax when you got tired towards the end of the day. It was unique, in that it didnt resemble any other mode of transportation. The parking tram was a tram, the monorail is an elevated train, but what can the PM be compared to? Nothing that I know of.

Sigh..... I miss the PM. :crying:

Opus1guy
03-15-2006, 09:53 PM
The most fun for me was riding the old yellow/blue parking lot trams through the old Disneyland parking lot where California Adventure is now.

You'd get a good driver who really knew how to push the speed and take corners pulling some G's and nearly tossing small frys (and often did toss merchandise) off the thing...all the while dogging Guest's autos whose drivers were looking the wrong way or had a helium Mickey balloon blocking their view and darting across lanes or were headed the wrong way down a one-way and in and out of parking rows and traffic! Weeeee! Brake! Man...it was like you were in some video game. Much more fun (and dangerous) than the Monorail, Matterhorn or Peoplemover or just about anything else! Well...other than attempting to protect your heels and shins by playing "Stroller Dodge" with sweating rubbernecking parents on a hot crowed day.

Today, the Parking Lot Tram to Mickey & Friends is like some tame G rated super-safe granny tour through the botanical gardens, by comparison.

And where's the fun in that!?

;)

disneyjunkie
03-15-2006, 10:20 PM
I too have to go with the old parking lot trams. My reasoning is a little different yup it was a thrill ride , but mainly it was the FIRST ride at Disneyland. It was the only way into the park entrance and was fun fun, and mostly let you off at the entrance to Disneyland . Now we have the new tram it has none of the ambiance of the old trams it lets you off in DT disney, its just not the same. The Monarail is great and yes I agree the front is an experience within itself but it dosnet take you to the front gates where the magic begins. The peoplemover I sorely miss but it was a ride not the ride TO the park for the fun to begin. Only the old trams set the stage to the entrance and heightened the anticipation of letting the magic begin.

ralfrick
03-16-2006, 06:28 AM
None are on my top 10 list, but if it has the Speed/Tron tunnel, i say PM.

Cheers.

Andrew
03-16-2006, 08:12 AM
I concur with Opus. Old parking lot tram, followed by PeopleMover. The Monorail is neat, but (especially since the Monorail Cafe was removed) it seems kind of pointless nowadays.

meandthree
03-16-2006, 08:47 AM
Does anyone know if they usually offer Annual Pass Hotel Rates in October? Also is the park decorated for Halloween?

Opus1guy
03-16-2006, 11:08 AM
Does anyone know if they usually offer Annual Pass Hotel Rates in October? Also is the park decorated for Halloween?

:)

I think you meant to start a new thread there and replied to an existing thread by mistake.

MrsPooh
03-16-2006, 11:46 AM
I'm going to be stoned for this, but the PeopleMover was always a bore to me.

The Monorail isn't too exciting, but it is cool, and gets you to DTD and back. Otherwise I could take it or leave it.

evrythngwmn
03-16-2006, 12:44 PM
Peoplemover, without a doubt!

The others are enjoyable, but the PM is tops. Not too fast, not too slow, great speed for looking and actually seeing things in some detail. A bit of wind in the face is always a good thing. All the music you heard along the way was great. You had the speed/TRON tunnel, views of Space Mountain, Star Tours, and some great shots of the Matterhorn. Rarely was there much of a wait, if any, since it was always moving. It was a great chance to just sit and relax when you got tired towards the end of the day. It was unique, in that it didnt resemble any other mode of transportation. The parking tram was a tram, the monorail is an elevated train, but what can the PM be compared to? Nothing that I know of.

Sigh..... I miss the PM. :crying:

You summed up my feelings exactly.

evrythngwmn
03-16-2006, 12:47 PM
The most fun for me was riding the old yellow/blue parking lot trams through the old Disneyland parking lot where California Adventure is now.

You'd get a good driver who really knew how to push the speed and take corners pulling some G's and nearly tossing small frys (and often did toss merchandise) off the thing...all the while dogging Guest's autos whose drivers were looking the wrong way or had a helium Mickey balloon blocking their view and darting across lanes or were headed the wrong way down a one-way and in and out of parking rows and traffic! Weeeee! Brake! Man...it was like you were in some video game. Much more fun (and dangerous) than the Monorail, Matterhorn or Peoplemover or just about anything else! Well...other than attempting to protect your heels and shins by playing "Stroller Dodge" with sweating rubbernecking parents on a hot crowed day.

Today, the Parking Lot Tram to Mickey & Friends is like some tame G rated super-safe granny tour through the botanical gardens, by comparison.

And where's the fun in that!?

;)

For the highlighted reasons I used to think it would be fun to drive the tram or be the tail person. Plus back then they used to get to yell at people.:~D

Opus1guy
03-16-2006, 01:10 PM
For the highlighted reasons I used to think it would be fun to drive the tram or be the tail person. Plus back then they used to get to yell at people.:~D

Yeah! That was so great. "You! Yes you! Sit Down!!!"

I once heard the tail-gunner announce over the speakers to great laughter, "Sir...if you can't get your kids to remain seated, tell them I'm going to have to beat-up their mommy." :) They seemed pretty by-the-book in the early part of the day when delivering Guests to the gates. Setting up the magic as it were. But at night when returning folks to their cars...they seemed to get much friskier and provided a nice segueway back to the real world and the California freeways. ;) Kind of a shock back to reality. :)

Those guys & gals were often like Jungle Cruise skippers without the "governor" holding them back.