PDA

View Full Version : Top Ten to See for a Rookie Family

Pages : [1] 2

disneyrookie
03-15-2006, 06:52 PM
We are in town only briefly to attend a wedding, but just couldn't miss a quick visit to Disneyland. We are staying for two full days in April at the Paradise Pier Hotel with two kids ages 9 and 6. The kids aren't intent on going to any character events, so that frees us up a bit. We need to use time wisely and want to know what not to miss until we can revisit and spend more time. We need help from the "park pros". Any other suggestions to make the most of our time are appreciated. Thanks for any suggestions.

potzbie
03-15-2006, 07:19 PM
The "must sees" are things which I myself see, again and again.
By that measure, I have some "must sees".

In DCA:

1.) SOARIN' OVER CALIFORNIA.
2.) TURTLE TALK WITH CRUSH.
3.) THE MINER 49ERS (blue grass music).

In DL:
1.) In DL's Golden Horseshoe, BILLY HILL AND THE HILLBILLIES (country music).
2.) On Main Street, THE DAPPER DANS (barbershop harmony)
3.) On Main Street, the piano player at the CORNER CAFE (Rod Miller is no longer there, but Alan (Thompson?) and Johnny are very good.
4.) MONORAIL. (Not that it is "exciting" but it is a unique marvel that must not be missed.)
5.) The princess photo/ops/autographs. SNOW WHITE and CINDERELLA and BELL and AURORA (Sleeping Beautry) rotate at the spots near the castle, while ARIEL has her on the half-shell at Triton's Garden.
I do not consider roller-coaster style rides as "must sees" or "do again and again" things. So I will not list SPACE MOUNTAIN, etc.
Things which I SEE and HEAR always stick with me longer than RIDES do.
That is why the music is so significant.
I never get tired seeing BELLE and ARIEL, and I look for princesses every time.
But I don't always ride BIG THUNDER RAILROAD nor SPLASH MOUNTAIN every time I am at Disneyland.

That is MY criteria of "must see" events at Disneyland Resort.

DianeM
03-15-2006, 07:24 PM
First, the best way to see DL, imo, is to relax and just let things happen. Don't worry if you miss a "top ten" or two (or three, or nine). Disneyland is an experience, not just a collection of rides and things to do. That said, if I had to pick ten things I wouldn't miss at DL, here they are: Haunted Mansion, Tower of Terror (DCA), Fantasmic (if you're there on a weekend), Tiki Room, Space Mountain, Train ride around the park (they have some very, very old dioramas with huge dinosaurs and the grand canyon between Tomorrow land and Main Street), Jungle Cruise, Big Thunder Mountain RR, Soarin over California (at DCA), Splash Mountain. I also like to take in at least one of the "3D" shows, although I usually make all three (Muppets, Honey I Shrunk the Audience, and It's Tough to Be a Bug). I would also add Pirates of the Carribean, but it will be closed when you are there. Some of the fast rides may be a bit too scary for the 6 year old, even if he/she is tall enough. You know your kid. My nephew was very brave, but he was terrified on a few of the fast rides. He still wanted to go on all of them, though. Kids.

To enhance your Disney experience: Have a Mickey Mouse Breakfast at the River Belle Terrace; get matching t-shirts and sit in front on the log rides, then buy the picture of you all screaming as you go down the slide as a family portrait; share a pound of fudge bought at the little candy store in Adventureland (many varieties); have lunch with a great show at the Golden Horseshoe Saloon; go on at least one Fantasyland ride, maybe more; take an afternoon break so the kids (and adults) can get some rest; save your souvenir buying for the 2nd day, late, so you don't have to lug around bags all day; Don't put your backpack on the floor of the log ride - it may get wet.

Have Fun!

Any other suggestions to make the most of our time are appreciated. Thanks for any suggestions.

Imagineer In Training
03-15-2006, 08:09 PM
DISNEYLAND-

1) Indiana Jones
2) Splash Mtn.
3)Thunder Mtn.
4) Small World (what makes fantasy land fantasy land ;) )
5) Roger Rabbits Cartoon Spin
6) Matterhorn
7)Buzz Astro Blasters
8) Star Tours
9) Space Mountain
10) First 50 magical Years (an interesting story....worth going to)

* haunted mansion and potc would be on the list except they are closed right?

DCA

1) Soarin
2)GRR (prepare to get wet!!)
3) Sun Wheel
4) Screamin
5) Aladdin Show
6) ToT
7) Imagination Building (do whatever you want there or just pause to savor the cool movies screens!!)
8) Monsters Inc.
9) Muppets 3D
10)*kids...red wood creek challenge trail

DTD shouldnt bemissed if there is time

MommyTo3Boys1Girl
03-15-2006, 08:33 PM
DL:
1. First 50 years "movie" on Main Street
2. Peter Pan
3. Dumbo
4. Indiana Jones
5. Splash Mountain
6. Haunted Mansion
7. It's A Small World
8. Fireworks

DCA
9. Soarin' Over California
10. Animation Building

pluriefuture
03-15-2006, 08:44 PM
1. Haunted Mansion
2. Matterhorn
3. Jungle Cruise
4. Space Mountain - (might be scary for the 6 year old)
5. Buzz Lightyear
6. Pirates of the Carribean (closed) - switch in Indiana Jones
7. Dumbo
8. Peter Pan

And at DCA:
9. Soarin' Over California
10. It's Tough to be a Bug

Keurigirl
03-15-2006, 08:57 PM
Well, this isn't my top ten, but includes what you should/can skip.

Everyone has different attachments to things, so ultimately you'll have to decide what is important to you.

Disneyland:

Tommorrowland:
Skip:
Innoventions
Autopia (the signs and theme are cute, but really, it's just driving a little moped around)
The Astro Orbiter (we did it once, but it's long lines and really not fantastic - only do it if there is no line)
Honey I Shrunk the Audience
Star Tours (needs badly updated and isn't that great)
Starcade (most people I doubt even stop by there)

Don't Miss:
-Space Mountain
-Buzz Astroblasters

Fantasyland:
Skip:
Casey Jr. Circus Train (for little kids)
-Dumbo (Usually too long a line)
- King Arthur Carrousel

Don't Miss:
Anything Else! I suggest going to Fantasyland immediately upon park opening (or during your early arrival) - the lines here tend to get long and the rides are short. We usually can get all these done in the first hour with time to spare if there are no lines.

Frontierland:
Skip:

-Tom Sawyer Island
- Shootin' Exposition (though it's a great time-passer if you get stuck in lines)
- Rafts to Tom Sawyer Island
Don't Miss:
Billy Hill & The Hillbillies at Golden Horseshoe (you can do lunch here if you want)
- Big Thunder Railroad

Critter Country
Skip:
- Pooh (we rode it once, it's mostly just cutouts of pooh, painted in glow-paint with black lights on them. I think it's really boring, and I LOVE the old fantasyland rides, and I even like the new Monster's Inc.) Pooh at Disneyworld is MUCH better.
- Canoes

Don't Miss:
- Splash Mountain

New Orleans Square:
Skip:- The Disney Gallery (though if it's crowded in the park, this is usually something we'll do)
Don't Miss:
Pirates & Haunted Mansion

Adventureland:

Skip:- Tarzan's Tree House (lots of steps, not a ton to see, and makes you really tired cause it's kind of like being on a stair stepper!)
Don't Miss:
Everything else!

Toontown:
Skip: - Gadget's go coaster (short, silly ride and long lines)

Don't Miss:
I think you can pretty much skip toontown all together if you're an adult. But if you have extra time, do everything else there.

In California Adventure

Hollywood Backlot:
Skip:
- Don't wait too long for Monsters Inc. Go when there is a short line
Don't Miss:
- Turtle Talk with Crush (BEST new thing there!!! even for adults!)
- Aladdin is a great show, if you have time try and plan it.
- Tower of Terror
- Muppet Vision

A Bug's Land:
Skip:
- All the kiddie rides unless you have little kids.
Don't Miss:
It's Tough to Be a Bug! (It's really, really cute!)

Paradise Pier:
Skip:
-Sun Wheel (unless there is no line)
- Mulholland Madness (loooong lines)
- Orange Stinger (like any other carnival ride)
- Golden Zepher
- Carousel
- Jumpin Jellyfish (for kids)

Don't Miss:
- California Screamin'
- Maliboomer if you want- usually no lines!

Golden State:
Skip:
- Redwood Creek Challenge Trail
- Golden Dreams
- Seasons of the Vine (winery tour)

Don't Miss:
- Soarin'
- Grizzly River Rapids

The tortilla factory and sourdough bread are good when there are lines everywhere else - or when you're hungry! It's the only free stuff you'll get at Disney so take advantage of it.

Again, keep in mind that your preferences might differ from these, this is only what we do!

Keurigirl
03-15-2006, 08:57 PM
Oh, and you can totally do both parks in two days! One day at each park will do. :)

03-16-2006, 03:21 AM
First, the best way to see DL, imo, is to relax and just let things happen. Don't worry if you miss a "top ten" or two (or three, or nine). Disneyland is an experience, not just a collection of rides and things to do.

Well said, DianeM.

SandraVB79
03-16-2006, 04:35 AM
My top 10 (not in this order):

1 Soarin' (at DCA)
2 Jungle Cruise (I prefer it when it's dark, but I like it anyways!)
3 it's a small world (come on all, admit it, a DL-visit is not a DL-visit without iasw!)
4 50th exposition + movie (they only have it now, so it's a must-see)
5 Splash Mountain
6 Matterhorn
7 Grizzly River Run
8 Storybookland Canal Boats
9 Disneyland Railroad
10 Get a picture with THE mouse

I didn't include Haunted Mansion nor POTC since some said it was going to be closed, and I didn't include Indy since I am not sure it's OK for the kids!

Btw, during 2 days, you can do more than just 10 rides, really!

cfrith
03-16-2006, 05:14 AM
First, the best way to see DL, imo, is to relax and just let things happen. Don't worry if you miss a "top ten" or two (or three, or nine). Disneyland is an experience, not just a collection of rides and things to do.

Thank you for reminding me this! It's hard when we only go once every couple years- but you are right!

cfrith
03-16-2006, 05:16 AM
First, the best way to see DL, imo, is to relax and just let things happen. Don't worry if you miss a "top ten" or two (or three, or nine). Disneyland is an experience, not just a collection of rides and things to do. That said, if I had to pick ten things I wouldn't miss at DL, here they are: Haunted Mansion, Tower of Terror (DCA), Fantasmic (if you're there on a weekend), Tiki Room, Space Mountain, Train ride around the park (they have some very, very old dioramas with huge dinosaurs and the grand canyon between Tomorrow land and Main Street), Jungle Cruise, Big Thunder Mountain RR, Soarin over California (at DCA), Splash Mountain. I also like to take in at least one of the "3D" shows, although I usually make all three (Muppets, Honey I Shrunk the Audience, and It's Tough to Be a Bug). I would also add Pirates of the Carribean, but it will be closed when you are there. Some of the fast rides may be a bit too scary for the 6 year old, even if he/she is tall enough. You know your kid. My nephew was very brave, but he was terrified on a few of the fast rides. He still wanted to go on all of them, though. Kids.

To enhance your Disney experience: Have a Mickey Mouse Breakfast at the River Belle Terrace; get matching t-shirts and sit in front on the log rides, then buy the picture of you all screaming as you go down the slide as a family portrait; share a pound of fudge bought at the little candy store in Adventureland (many varieties); have lunch with a great show at the Golden Horseshoe Saloon; go on at least one Fantasyland ride, maybe more; take an afternoon break so the kids (and adults) can get some rest; save your souvenir buying for the 2nd day, late, so you don't have to lug around bags all day; Don't put your backpack on the floor of the log ride - it may get wet.

Have Fun!

Log ride- do you mean Splash Mountain?

junglemom
03-16-2006, 06:03 AM
As much as I agree with the theory of just sit back and let Disneyland happen to you, our most frustrating days have been we we had no direction. We end up wandering around, missing show times and finding long lines. Go in with a little sense of when you should do cetain things. If you want to ride attractions that usually have long lines, get your fast passes. Hit Fantasyland in the mornng. Save DCA for the busier of the two days. Be smart, you don't have to have it all planned out, but use the knowledge you have gained by being a MPer to make your day as enjoyable as you can.

SandraVB79
03-16-2006, 07:45 AM
Show times!
Now I know what I forgot to put in my list: the Aladdin show + Fantasmic! + Remember!

hlbtimes2
03-16-2006, 08:11 AM
Our top 10 (in no real order):
Aladin (DCA)
Fireworks
Fantasmic
Soarin'
Space Mt.
Peter Pan
Indy
Jungle Cruise
Matterhorn at night
Screamin' (DCA)
50th movie/ display

And if you have time, the princess story time in the store in Fantasyland is really good!

Bolivar
03-16-2006, 08:25 AM
Hopefully you booked through AAA because the enhanced fastpass is a huge advantage. If not perhaps you can cancel and rebook through them. If not the other thing that helps a lot is to understand how to use fastpass -- mostly that if you have a fastpass that is good between 10:00-11:00, it is really good anytime after ten. You can hold on to it all day and use it later. So, what you do is load up on fastpasses in the morning when the wait isn't long and you can get new ones faster, then ride the not crowded FL rides or anything that does not have fastpass. Then use your fastpasses in the afternoon when the park is crowded. I learned that here on Mousepad and it really made a big difference on our last trip. In fact we ended each day with a stack of unused fastpasses because we accumulated so many.

You might want to try ridemax. You pay a fee, something like $30, and then you use the software to create itineraries for the rides. For me, I don't want an itinerary to follow and just want to let the day happen, but in playing with ridemax and reading some of the info they give you, you learn a lot about how to get the most out of the park even if you end up not using any of the itineraries.

My son (and I) like to repeatedly ride some of the rides like Space Mountain, Tower of Terror, Pirates, Soaring, etc. So we actually do a lot of going back and forth between the parks instead of one each day. That all depends on how much and how fast you like to walk. We end up covering a lot of ground in a day.

DianeM
03-16-2006, 08:28 AM
Yes. When I was a little girl, I loved the log ride at Knotts Berry Farm (I don't even remember what it was called). I was thrilled when DL put in a log ride, and I still think of it as "the log ride".

Log ride- do you mean Splash Mountain?

DianeM
03-16-2006, 08:31 AM
As someone pointed out elsewhere, you do have to plan some to not miss your favorite events, but I think it's important to remember that no one thing makes Disneyland magical. It's the whole experience, and if the fireworks are cancelled, or some rides are closed, or you simply don't have time to do it all, it's okay. It's better than okay ... it's DISNEYLAND!!! :-)

Thank you for reminding me this! It's hard when we only go once every couple years- but you are right!

donaldquackers
03-16-2006, 11:11 AM
My last trip we went casual. We had 3 three year olds and a baby. We tried to make it special for them. I usually have a plan of everything to do, but my family rebelled and said NO PLANNING. It made for an unhappy evening the last day we were there as we each had things we wanted to do and there wasn't enough time left. (We had been on the singing boats- IASM, and pooh numerous times though) We had a great trip even missing things, but if I had to do it again, I would have everyone pick out 2 important things to do and 2 important things to eat. I would then make sure that each of those things was done. Now it isn't so much the attractions that I am missing, it the atmosphere. I need a Dole Whip, Whitewater snacks, a ride on Jungle Cruise at night, FIREWORKS, strolling main street, a waffle cone on main street and the shows.

meandthree
03-16-2006, 12:53 PM
We just got back from Disneyland with our 10 and 8 year old and I have to tell you one of the neatest things that we did was yesterday when we were entering the park. Wendy and Peter Pan came running out and grabbed my daughters hand and asked her if she wanted to play she was delighted she ended up with about 10 other kids playing hide and go seek with Peter and Wendy. An absolutely perfect way to end our trip! I don't know if they do this every day but if they do your kids will love it!

DianeM
03-16-2006, 01:18 PM
The way we "relax" at DL is similar to your idea. We try to do our "top" items on the first day, then just take in whatever else we can the next few days. For example, we'll tackle our favorite big roller coasters, Tiki Room, POTC, and HM on Day 1. We start off day 2 at DCA, taking in Soarin and TOT and Grizzley. Then we just wander around re-riding things when lines seem short, seeing the 3D shows, if we have time, wandering through stores and exhibits and corners of the park. By Day 3, we've done all of our top items and can just relax completely and experience Disneyland magic. Sometimes I remember things we missed after we leave, but I've never made a list of "must do" things and tried to stick to it. We used to travel that way when I was a child, and I feel that the tension created by having to stick to a schedule far outweighed any benefit from not missing things. For me, vacation is a time to relax and recover from the deadlines and pressures of life and work.

We had a great trip even missing things, but if I had to do it again, I would have everyone pick out 2 important things to do and 2 important things to eat. I would then make sure that each of those things was done. Now it isn't so much the attractions that I am missing, it the atmosphere. I need a Dole Whip, Whitewater snacks, a ride on Jungle Cruise at night, FIREWORKS, strolling main street, a waffle cone on main street and the shows.

Pat-n-Eil
03-16-2006, 02:17 PM
Disneyrookie, this is an almost impossible task.

Where Keurigirl says to skip Autopia, my kids absolutely loved that attraction when they were your kids age. (That was the 2nd time I took them, son age 6 and daughter age 9). The mountains were good for all of us at that point - and if your 6 year old isn't afraid of this kind of thing, then go for it.

You know your family best - so my top 10 would vary depending on whether or not you would enjoy Shows in addition to rides or if you're more type A.

The 6 year old may really like Fairytale Land and Toontown where your 9 year old may feel a little old.. but then, you are supposed to check your "cool" at the gate and just enjoy the place.

Staying that the Paradise Pier is good. One of the benefits is you can see and hear the fireworks show from the roof by the pool. So if your kids are tired, that is something you can still get to experience. Watch the fireworks and take a dip in the pool or spa.

Just remember to have fun. If you have parkhopper tickets, don't let your DCA chance go to waste. Soarin', Screamin', ToT and the animation building must not be missed if you go there.

potterphreak
03-16-2006, 05:53 PM
CJ's Top Ten:

DCA:
1. Turtle Talk
2. Soarin' Over California
3. Sun Wheel when it is dark outside
4. Electrical Parade (IF it is playing while you are there)
DL:
1. Remember...Dreams Come True Fireworks
2. Fantasmic!
3. 50 First Years movie with Steve Martin and Donald Duck
4. Picture in front of the castle
5. Buzz Lightyear Astro Blasters
6. Space Mountain
7. (IF NO EP) Haunted Mansion

These are all "must-do's" to me. But people are right, go with an idea of the things you would like to do in your head and then just take it slow. Especially if you will be coming back later for a longer stay.

sambo
03-16-2006, 07:06 PM
One piece of advice -

First thing get a fastpass for either Space Mountain or Splash Mountain - then ride the other right away while the lines are short. When done you have the fastpass for the other mountain coming up. That gets two of the longest lines out of the way and gives you more time to do the other things on your list...

daisy4me
03-16-2006, 08:23 PM
Hopefully you booked through AAA because the enhanced fastpass is a huge advantage. If not perhaps you can cancel and rebook through them. If not the other thing that helps a lot is to understand how to use fastpass -- mostly that if you have a fastpass that is good between 10:00-11:00, it is really good anytime after ten. You can hold on to it all day and use it later. So, what you do is load up on fastpasses in the morning when the wait isn't long and you can get new ones faster, then ride the not crowded FL rides or anything that does not have fastpass. Then use your fastpasses in the afternoon when the park is crowded. I learned that here on Mousepad and it really made a big difference on our last trip. In fact we ended each day with a stack of unused fastpasses because we accumulated so many.

You might want to try ridemax. You pay a fee, something like $30, and then you use the software to create itineraries for the rides. For me, I don't want an itinerary to follow and just want to let the day happen, but in playing with ridemax and reading some of the info they give you, you learn a lot about how to get the most out of the park even if you end up not using any of the itineraries.

My son (and I) like to repeatedly ride some of the rides like Space Mountain, Tower of Terror, Pirates, Soaring, etc. So we actually do a lot of going back and forth between the parks instead of one each day. That all depends on how much and how fast you like to walk. We end up covering a lot of ground in a day.
How did you get so many fastpasses in the morning if you can only get 1 at a time? I must of missed somthing. We go in June with 11 girls and the fastpass seems to be great but I read you can only get 1 at a time and sometimes you cant even get them:confused: