PDA

View Full Version : Why is the track for the PeopleMover still in Tomorrowland?

Pages : [1] 2

Keurigirl
03-15-2006, 02:37 PM
Just an observation on our trip two weeks ago. It's something I never really thought of, but something my brother pointed out when we were there. I've always known that there used to be the PeopleMover attraction on the track above Tomorrowland, but my brother didn't know. He asked me what those were, and when I told him, he asked me why they didn't remove them when they removed the ride.

I'd never thought about it before, as it just seems so PART of Tomorrowland, even though it doesn't really do anything. I assumed that is why they did not remove them? Anyone have any thoughts on this?

Andrew
03-15-2006, 02:42 PM
I'd never thought about it before, as it just seems so PART of Tomorrowland, even though it doesn't really do anything. I assumed that is why they did not remove them? Anyone have any thoughts on this?
Parts of the track are structurally integrated with the other buildings, so removing them would be a major project. The freestanding parts could have been removed--presumably in the lead-up to the 50th--but doing so would all but doom any chance of re-using the structure for a future attraction.

Keurigirl
03-15-2006, 02:43 PM
That was my thought - they might want to reuse part of them for something later. I mostly was referring to the parts that aren't attached to buildings. :)

Pat-n-Eil
03-15-2006, 02:48 PM
I assume that at the time the PeopleMover was shut down, they had plans to reutilize that. This happened in the form of the Rocket Rods - but the cars weren't engineered correctly to the track (no banking for the turns, etc.) and soon failed - leaving the PeopleMover track in worse shape than before Rocket Rods and now with signs of structural damage.

I haven't heard anything regarding another attempt to use the track for anything..

Mistyj
03-15-2006, 02:49 PM
Screamscape.com reported today that Imagineers have been spotted checking out the tracks recently.

Perhaps it will be sooner rather than later...

Niwel
03-15-2006, 02:52 PM
The freestanding parts could have been removed--presumably in the lead-up to the 50th--but doing so would all but doom any chance of re-using the structure for a future attraction.

Plus, they make for nice shady spots between Buzz and Star Tours (although it also causes quite a bit of congestion....)

cstephens
03-15-2006, 03:17 PM
Plus, they make for nice shady spots between Buzz and Star Tours (although it also causes quite a bit of congestion....)

Yep, during the rain too (congestion, I mean).

Imagineer In Training
03-15-2006, 04:14 PM
:p some mp's are still keeping a little hope alive that the people mover will return someday.....i personally hope that its something new and exciting if the track is ever used again, goodness knows that tommorrow land could use it!!

Quinten27
03-15-2006, 04:41 PM
I'd also like to see the tracks used again at some point...........but then I'm also hoping the skyride will be back some day too.

chrisaustx
03-16-2006, 10:23 AM
I have been looking for a job at the DLR this week, and I noticed several job listings from Walt Disney Imagineering, seeking engineers: structural and transportation engineers. The engineers may be needed for the monorail project, but this could also be for the people mover. I do think the people mover will be back within the next two years, I am glad the tracks are still there.

Another Dimension
03-16-2006, 06:25 PM
Why is the track for the PeopleMover still in Tomorrowland?

1. Shade... :cool:

2. Future usage... ;)

disney's #1 fan
03-16-2006, 07:31 PM
the peoplemover track cant be removed. the track goes through star tours, space mountain by the autopia by the monorail then through buzz light yr then back to the obverstion tower

nightdesigns
03-17-2006, 06:34 AM
I think that if they're going to get rid of the track, when they're rebuilding the monorail station/installing nemo would be the perfect time since that whole area will be under construction. We'll have to see.

DisneylandForever
03-17-2006, 07:31 AM
I'm sure the link is gone by now, but I read on SaveDisney.com (sometime last year) that they were considering bringing back the Peoplemover as early as 2008.

OCCOBRA
03-17-2006, 08:14 AM
I think with this new administration they will open the people mover track after the subs are running. It will increase capacity for DL. That always ticked me off about the ignorance of the last administration of if we open a new ride then we must close an old one. What idiots...Bring on the people mover!!!

Sub Maniak
03-17-2006, 02:33 PM
Reasons why PeopleMover trak might get some life!
2004-Star Tours, Innovention, HISTA, Autopia.

Future (like 2007)-Star Tours, HISTA, Space Mountain, Innoventions, Autopia, Submarine Voyage, PeopleMover:confused: , Buzz Lightyear!

Finally! A filled Tomorowland!!!:fez:

Plus more Shade!!

MommyTo3Boys1Girl
03-17-2006, 11:14 PM
I thought this was where the Incredibles ride was going to be? When we were there a little over 2 weeks ago, in the little speech the CM gives before the show starts in the Tiki Room, he made mention of the new Nemo ride opening in 2007, and something about The Incredibles transport something or other in 2008. I just assumed it would be on that track.

Sub Maniak
03-18-2006, 11:54 AM
The Incredibles car ride was supposed to be over the DCA Parking lot by TOT! Not in Disneyland. Finding Nemo will be the submarine ride.

Imagineer In Training
03-18-2006, 12:52 PM
when we were in disneyland in december a cast member also mentioned the incredibles transportation ride....she said that it was supposed to be a new and improved version of the rocket rods but that it would be a few years before opening because of the construction of nemo and because it would take quite a bit of work to get the track to the condition it would need to be to run such vehicles.

i generally trust what cast members say about the park but i suppose its possible that rumors get started in disneyland just as much as they do on mp. i certainly hope it was true though....i would love to see the rocket rods back,

ILovePoker
03-18-2006, 03:19 PM
i generally trust what cast members say

I don't. Cast Members have no access to the higher ups plans. It's all rumor and speculation.

cstephens
03-18-2006, 05:13 PM
Some cast members do have really good insider info. You just have to know which cast members to believe. Random cast member is generally not going to know that kind of stuff. I've heard cast members repeat as true rumours that have been posted on the internet as a joke.

Imagineer In Training
03-18-2006, 05:27 PM
well i think the specific cast member had worked there for at least a few years....i remembered her from a trip we had taken last spring and the spring before that....she works the train alot....no clue what makes a cast member reliable but it wasnt just some random teenager either...

but as long as the imformation was true i would be happy because i think the tracks really need to be put back into use

Walt'sbirthdaygirl
03-18-2006, 05:38 PM
I know why they still left it up. Torture, pure torture. Everytime I look up and see the empty track, nothing but sadness. When I was a teenager, we would spend almost the entire day in Tomorrowland, first ATIS went away (granted replaced by a great ride, but still I miss it.....) next Mission to Mars then the Submarines, the people mover gone and the rockets moved down to the ground.

No matter how cheesy it was, or how kitschy, I have always loved Tomorrowland.

MommyTo3Boys1Girl
03-19-2006, 09:56 PM
when we were in disneyland in december a cast member also mentioned the incredibles transportation ride....she said that it was supposed to be a new and improved version of the rocket rods but that it would be a few years before opening because of the construction of nemo and because it would take quite a bit of work to get the track to the condition it would need to be to run such vehicles.

i generally trust what cast members say about the park but i suppose its possible that rumors get started in disneyland just as much as they do on mp. i certainly hope it was true though....i would love to see the rocket rods back,

I cannot imagine a CM talking about something over the PA in a show like the Tiki Room, that they were not 100% sure was true. I don't think that would go over with the higher ups.

iwannabeanimagineer
03-21-2006, 03:14 PM
The People Mover track is being shared with a parallel universe in which the People Mover still exists. If we tear ours down, their People Mover cars will fall on the ground.