PDA

View Full Version : 3/14 photos - Mandara Spa opens, More Sub Lagoon stuff, and more refurb walls

Darkbeer
03-15-2006, 07:20 AM
http://darkbeer.smugmug.com/gallery/1276534

The big news is that the Mandara Spa has "soft" opened, they are about a month away from an official opening, but the facility is open. One thing I found interesting, they will offer teeth whiteing. FYI, ANYONE is welcome to use the facility, you do not need to stay at GCH, or any other Disney hotel. Locals and folks staying off-site are welcome.

Cafe Orleans is behind refurb walls.

Work continues on the Sub Lagoon.

The park was busy, I would compare it to an off-season weekend day prior to the 50th, lines for everything, but not crazy.

In one of those "OOPS" moments, the Cove Bar was supposed to go to seven days a week operation this week, but when the folks showed up to work, they found the place under tarps and being painted. Facilities didn't know that the Bar planned to go to seven days a week operation (They need to read the MousePlanet weekly updates ;), and planned to paint the place Monday thru Thursday. So the Cove Bar should reopen Friday, and start seven days a week operation with a newly painted bar.

03-15-2006, 07:46 AM
Thanks, Darkbeer! Really excellent shots of the submarine lagoon.

MortgageMan
03-15-2006, 08:04 AM
Great photos as usual from Darkbeer!

I'm wondering what everyone thinks about there being so much refurbishment of buildings at DCA after just 5 years. Is this a good thing, management taking a more proactive role in maintenance rather than waiting until things become totally run down? Or is it just a sign that these building were built cheaply to begin with?

SeansMom
03-15-2006, 11:01 AM
Love the photos! Thanks so much for posting them.

I know there was a thread somewhere about the sub lagoon, and the building going up therin...wouldn't that be the dentist's office??? As in finding NEMO...trapped in the dentists office???

jrad32
03-15-2006, 11:25 AM
I don't think it will be the dentist office as an office building poking out of the lagoon would look strange. My guess is that those buildings will house show scenes, but they will be designed to look like rocky outcropings on the outside so that they fit in with the theme of the lagoon.

twist1980
03-15-2006, 11:47 AM
http://darkbeer.smugmug.com/gallery/1276534/1/59944524
Ah! My eyes are burning! Hes baaaackkkk!!! Who honestly thought that was a good idea to put up a gigantic Chicken Little?

That said, thank for sharing the rest of the pictures! ;) Looks like a lot is going on in the sub lagoon right now! I'm so excited!

Pat-n-Eil
03-15-2006, 12:10 PM
Darkbeer, can you tell us what the significance of that door in front of Wetzel's Pretzels is all about?

Pat-n-Eil
03-15-2006, 12:13 PM
Great photos as usual from Darkbeer!

I'm wondering what everyone thinks about there being so much refurbishment of buildings at DCA after just 5 years. Is this a good thing, management taking a more proactive role in maintenance rather than waiting until things become totally run down? Or is it just a sign that these building were built cheaply to begin with?

When I was there, they were doing lots of work on the Grand Californian, and I was told it was just a part of their 5-year maintenance program. I assume it is the same for DCA since they are the same age. The GCH looks to be a very well built hotel, so I would lean toward it is standard and not because of poor construction.

Opus1guy
03-15-2006, 12:24 PM
Thanks again for the photos! :)

Work continues on the Sub Lagoon.

It's kind of funny. I've read much here on Mousepad about the lagoon progress, but almost nothing about the work on subs themselves.

;)

cfrith
03-15-2006, 01:02 PM
I hope this isn't a dumb question...but what do they use to water proof the buildings in the lagoon?

Darkbeer
03-15-2006, 01:37 PM
I hope this isn't a dumb question...but what do they use to water proof the buildings in the lagoon?

Based on what they are doing (installing rebar), the building itself will be concrete, which is waterproof with the right sealer.

The middle walls of the two buildings will be some type of plexyglass to allow the folks in the sub a view, which will go thru the middle of the two buildings. The buildings themselves will be dry inside.

And as for the Wetzel's Pretzels small building, as far as I understand, they are working on some plumbing issues inside the small building (aka the concrete is exposed and there is a hole in the ground that guests could trip over if exposes).

TowerofTerror
03-15-2006, 01:59 PM
Thanks for the update again DarkBeer

Susan L
03-15-2006, 02:03 PM
Great pictures Darkbeer, thanks for the update. I also have to say that I had a swedish massage and this heavenly :D foot treatment at the Mandara Spa on our trip in Feb. It was absolutely wonderful. Also the suite they were temporaily in was quite fabulous as well. I will definately be going back on our next visit.

MsYumiBr
03-15-2006, 04:03 PM
I can just hear my sister in laws now:

Where are you going?

I'm going to get my teeth whitened.

Really? Where?

At the Grand Californian's new spa.

Oh, you are going to *Disneyland* to get your teeth whitened. Are you nuts? :rolleyes:

:D

christina
03-15-2006, 07:37 PM
Great Pictures!! Thanks for sharing. I'll be there in a couple of weeks and it was interesting to see the wait time board. It sure would be nice if the waits were like that when we get there but I 'm sure no such luck.