PDA

View Full Version : For those of you that have flown into Long Beach...

tlovesdis
03-15-2006, 06:12 AM
I have a rather dumb question! The last few times we have flown in we have taken a limo to the resort, but this time we are planning on taking a taxi. My dumb question is...do we need to arrange this ahead of time, or will we be able to just hail one when we get there?

Thanks!

DangerMouse
03-15-2006, 06:15 AM
They have taxis lined up waiting for you. The cost for us was $35+tip to the DLR area.

JookyG
03-15-2006, 11:32 AM
$35 is a flat posted rate, by the way. They have it posted on a sign at the taxi stand.

Be careful with your return taxi, though. I asked my hotel to call a taxi, and we got van service, which I'm guessing was a friend of the hotel. We didn't ask the rate ahead of time and it was $45. I'd suggest getting a card from the cab company you use from the airport and call them directly for your return.

hlbtimes2
03-15-2006, 11:34 AM
$35 is a flat posted rate, by the way. They have it posted on a sign at the taxi stand.

Be careful with your return taxi, though. I asked my hotel to call a taxi, and we got van service, which I'm guessing was a friend of the hotel. We didn't ask the rate ahead of time and it was $45. I'd suggest getting a card from the cab company you use from the airport and call them directly for your return.

From what I've heard, it is typically more for the return trip. We were able to rent a car from Alamo for $45 for a Thur- Monday rental. We spent $7 in gas. We spent less and had a car while we were there. It was very nice to be able to run to the store a couple of times. The drive is easy.

kkmickey
03-15-2006, 12:39 PM
We were told the return trip was $42 with the taxis at the resort. However, we had already arranged for Yellow Cab to pick us up, and the staff at the Grand Californian were a little miffed that we had called our own cab. (I usually rent a car, and didn't realize they would have taxis waiting. Besides, we had a lot of luggage, and I thought we needed a minivan.) I suppose that they get a cut of the taxis waiting there.

JookyG
03-15-2006, 04:04 PM
We were told the return trip was $42 with the taxis at the resort. However, we had already arranged for Yellow Cab to pick us up, and the staff at the Grand Californian were a little miffed that we had called our own cab. (I usually rent a car, and didn't realize they would have taxis waiting. Besides, we had a lot of luggage, and I thought we needed a minivan.) I suppose that they get a cut of the taxis waiting there.

Makes sense that they got miffed if there's a cut involved. That was my guess when the Tropicanan called an unmarked van for us. But that doesn't make it appropriate--it's your own darn business how you arrange your transportation.

Getting a car definitely makes sense, depending on the length of the rental, and if you don't have to pay for parking. I've just never wanted to deal with driving in L.A., since I never stray farther than half a block from the resort.

kkmickey
03-15-2006, 07:53 PM
Oh yeah, one more thing. Make sure the cab you call for your return trip to the Long Beach airport is from Anaheim. I was told if they didn't have an Anaheim permit (for example, if the cab was from Long Beach) they could not even enter the property. Fortunately the cab I called was ANAHEIM Yellow Cab.

Also, we were told it was a flat fee of $38. However, the driver had the meter running, and when it passed $38 I questioned him about it. He said that the cab company didn't know what they were talking about, but he would stop the meter at $50. Needless to say, I immediately called the cab company, and they assured me the rate they quoted me was correct, so they began to argue with the driver. We gave him $40 and were on our way. Too bad for him, because he missed out on a big tip.