PDA

View Full Version : Annual pass options

Pages : [1] 2

mousemom
03-14-2006, 04:18 AM
I am thinking about getting annual passes and wondered if they are transferrable. For example, if my husband can't go can I take someone else to help me and have them use his pass? Also do they expire exactly one year to the day of when you purchased them or at the end of the month and lastly do you have to go somewhere to get your picture on the pass?

MortgageMan
03-14-2006, 04:26 AM
-No
-Yes
-Yes, right now you get your photo taken at the Main St. bank building right next to the Opera House and the lines to do this can get quite long.

Additionally, if you purchase your passes on a day that is blocked out you still get to go to the parks that day w/o paying a blockout fee. To go on any other blocked out days will cost $30.

hlbtimes2
03-14-2006, 09:17 AM
-No
-Yes
-Yes, right now you get your photo taken at the Main St. bank building right next to the Opera House and the lines to do this can get quite long.

Additionally, if you purchase your passes on a day that is blocked out you still get to go to the parks that day w/o paying a blockout fee. To go on any other blocked out days will cost $30.

Go do it first thing in the morning. I went Saturday AM, and got right in- only had to wait for one person. I was in and out in a couple of minutes. It took her longer to figure out how much credit I had for my park hopper then anything else!

However, the blockout day did give me a headache. When I went to DCA they questioned me. I said I just bought it- she wanted to see my hand stamp- Good thing I got one when I left DL. Then, that night the lady at the DL gate got a bit snippy and said it was blockout day. I told her I bought it that morning. Well, since its backdated to the first day of your park hopper, it had the date as the day before. She made me dig through my stuff and find my receipt. Good thing I hadnt cleaned my bag out when we were at the hotel!

Oh, make sure they activate before you leave. That way you'll be able to use it to get fast pass. Other wise it will spit out a ticket that says your ticket wasnt used for park entry.

Burnt Toast
03-14-2006, 11:28 AM
Whee, it's like being at work. :) I sell boatloads of APs at the SCP Disney Desk (buy yours there, get a free pin set that's exclusive to the Desk!)

There are no family passes. Passes are meant for the person who's picture is on the pass and are not transferrable. The year doesn't start until the first day you use it and your first day is exempt from the blockout schedule (meaning you can go on a blockout day on your very first day of use, but everyday after that you have to follow the blockout schedule).

You can purchase a blockout ticket to "unlock" your pass for that day for $30 though, if you just have to go on a blockout day. It does not "unlock" parking that day though, even if you have the parking pass added to your AP.

Currently the AP Processing Center is at the Bank on Main Street. They'll have you fill out your information there, check an ID (to verify it is you and, if you buy a SoCal AP, check to see if you live in SoCal), and then take your picture there. You'll get your actual photo pass at that time. Make sure you do this all on your first day that you use the AP voucher, since it's a pain in the *** for everyone involved if you don't (moreso for you as well).

Mark Mywords
03-14-2006, 12:17 PM
...Also do they expire exactly one year to the day of when you purchased them or at the end of the month

You're probably thinking of purchasing them at the park, so the following might not apply (but I thought I'd throw it in just in case).

The expiration date is 1 year from the day of AP activation. This is not necessarily the day of purchase, just the first day you go in with your voucher to activate the AP.

We purchased our APs online 5 months before our June 2005 trip. At the time, I didn't quite understand how AP activation worked. You're supposed to activate them within 3 months of purchase, I believe. Anyways, I realized this shortly after receiving them through the mail and had to call Disneyland to find out if we would have problems activating the passes. Luckily, they said no, but added that the park reserved the right to charge us the difference if AP prices went up in that time period.

JookyG
03-14-2006, 12:21 PM
Whee, it's like being at work. :) I sell boatloads of APs at the SCP Disney Desk (buy yours there, get a free pin set that's exclusive to the Desk!)

What's the SCP Disney Desk? I'll be upgrading a ParkHopper to AP in May and would love to get an exclusive pin!

Darkbeer
03-14-2006, 12:34 PM
What's the SCP Disney Desk? I'll be upgrading a ParkHopper to AP in May and would love to get an exclusive pin!

SCP = South Coast Plaza, the large shopping center just off the 405 freeway in Costa Mesa.

I don't think you can upgrade there, but I presume Burnt Toast will give you more info....

JookyG
03-14-2006, 01:14 PM
SCP = South Coast Plaza, the large shopping center just off the 405 freeway in Costa Mesa.

I don't think you can upgrade there, but I presume Burnt Toast will give you more info....

Ah, thanks, Darkbeer. Anything more than 1/2 mile from the DLR is out of range for me :)

mousemom
03-14-2006, 02:04 PM
Thanks everyone. It's nice to have great info and advice so quickly. I can't wait to get those passholder tickets!

momuvseven
03-14-2006, 02:23 PM
LEt me see if I understand this correctly. We are buying a package with three day parkhoppers included. We plan to upgrade on day three in the park. So does that mean our ap gets backdated? Or does the ap begin on the day we activate by re-entering the park? So can I upgrade and then come in on Saturday and activate with the ap or will they already be active since we are trading in our parkhoppers for credit?

Thanks, this will be our first time.

momuvseven

Burnt Toast
03-14-2006, 02:37 PM

Unfortunately we can't do upgrades, that's only done at the Park. We sell general tickets, SoCal tickets, APs, and Resort Gift Cards.

It's a desk shaped like Mouse Ears... you can't miss us. Actually, starting this Sunday we move from our usual spot across from the merry-go-round to a location next to the Concierge Desk.

Burnt Toast
03-14-2006, 02:38 PM
LEt me see if I understand this correctly. We are buying a package with three day parkhoppers included. We plan to upgrade on day three in the park. So does that mean our ap gets backdated? Or does the ap begin on the day we activate by re-entering the park? So can I upgrade and then come in on Saturday and activate with the ap or will they already be active since we are trading in our parkhoppers for credit?

momuvseven

Yes, if you upgrade your AP will be backdated to the first day you used your original ticket. You must upgrade before Disneyland closes on your last day, otherwise your ticket will have zero value and will be worthless to upgrade, so do it before the Park closes.

hlbtimes2
03-14-2006, 02:41 PM

momuvseven

Your ap will be back dated to the first day you used your park hopper. I used my hopper on Friday, and upgraded Saturday. My ap shows I bought it on Friday. Ask them there at the processing center to make it so you can get fast pass. They didnt do it to mine. So, when I walked by later I asked what I needed to do to so I could get fp with it. The guy took it inside, did something and gave it back. It worked from that point on.

momuvseven
03-14-2006, 06:43 PM
Thanks!!!

mousemom
03-14-2006, 07:00 PM
What are the advantages to getting park hoppers first and then upgrading at the park? Is this something I should consider? I was just going to get AP's the first day there but it's not too late to change the plan.

JookyG
03-14-2006, 07:12 PM
What are the advantages to getting park hoppers first and then upgrading at the park? Is this something I should consider? I was just going to get AP's the first day there but it's not too late to change the plan.

The main advantage that I can see is Early Entry. You get 1 EE pass with each 3-day (or more) ParkHopper, but once you upgrade the AP, you lose this option. EE's only available Mon, Tues, Thurs, and Saturday, so if that doesn't match up with your plans, then go ahead and get the AP, especially if you can take advantage of the discounts.

mousemom
03-14-2006, 07:21 PM
If I order AP's online ahead of time will I be able to access info on discounts before actually going to Disneyland and activating my AP's. Would I be able to book special hotel rates before actually activating the passes? Also, and thanks for helping me with sooo many questions, does DL credit you exactly what you paid for your Park Hopper when you upgrade? Thanks again!

hlbtimes2
03-15-2006, 06:13 AM
Another reason to get park hoppers first, is to avoid blackout days. Had I got a ap for the trip, I would have had to pay $30 for the Saturday (day 2 of the trip). Because I upgraded on the blackout day I didnt have to pay. Yes, they credit you for the full amount of the park hopper. We bought 2 adult tickets ($149 each) and received the two free kids tickets (current promo). They gave me $149 toward my ap.

I have no idea about booking hotels at the ap rates. I've only had mine for a few days! I would guess they would want your a/p number to book.

mousemom
03-15-2006, 11:08 AM
I just realized that one of the days I will be there is a blackout day so thanks a lot for the heads-up! I should probably wait and upgrade on that day.

JookyG
03-15-2006, 11:29 AM
Would I be able to book special hotel rates before actually activating the passes?

I doubt you could in that instance.

I've been told if you order APs online, you can book the hotel with just the pass #, then present the activated pass when you check-in. But I don't think you could present the activated AP when you check-out and retroactively get the rate if you originally had ParkHoppers. Best bet would be to call the hotel directly and ask.

BUT, if you're staying on-site, you get Early Entry for every day it's offered, so I'd say go ahead and buy the AP unless blackout dates are a concern. That seems to be the only other advantage of using the ParkHoppers before upgrading.

emmah
03-15-2006, 05:58 PM
:) :)
If I order AP's online ahead of time will I be able to access info on discounts before actually going to Disneyland and activating my AP's. Would I be able to book special hotel rates before actually activating the passes? Also, and thanks for helping me with sooo many questions, does DL credit you exactly what you paid for your Park Hopper when you upgrade? Thanks again!

I did this last November; I booked an AP rate at the DLH when I didn't even have an AP, and then bought my AP at the check-in desk when I got to the hotel. You can access the special AP page on the disney website (which has info on discounts) once you have an AP number but I am not sure if this appears on the voucher you eventually trade in for your AP. someone else may know this... And yes, DL credits you exactly what you paid for your hopper ticket, which means there is no benefit to getting a discounted hopper ticket because you'll just have more to pay when you upgrade.

mousemom
03-15-2006, 07:25 PM
Do you have to go to the website to find out what the AP rate would be to stay on property or can you get that directly from the hotel? Those multiple EE's look pretty tempting!

Malcon10t
03-15-2006, 07:53 PM
Do you have to go to the website to find out what the AP rate would be to stay on property or can you get that directly from the hotel? Those multiple EE's look pretty tempting!
You can call, generally it is 10% off the best rate they offer. If they are offering AP Nights, they will have a special rate like $129.

meandthree
03-16-2006, 08:56 AM
So if you get an AP you can't get early entry. I thought that if you stayed at one of the hotels you got early entry? I may have messed up because we upgraded ours while we were there, but we used early entry the whole time:confused:

JookyG
03-16-2006, 09:01 AM
So if you get an AP you can't get early entry. I thought that if you stayed at one of the hotels you got early entry? I may have messed up because we upgraded ours while we were there, but we used early entry the whole time:confused:

DLR hotel guests always get Early Entry regardless of their admission media.