PDA

View Full Version : Best "Eats" at Disneyland

Pages : [1] 2

kristint
03-13-2006, 08:18 PM
Hey everyone...my first post:) ....My husband and I went to Disneyland for our Honeymoon August of last year and we are now returning the end of April. We were rushed before and never truly got to experience Disneyland. I was looking for advice on the best restaurants/eateries in the parks.

Any reccomendations would be greatly appreciated!!

Thanks so much,
Kristin

WITron
03-13-2006, 09:05 PM
Some of that depends on when you are going to be at the parks. If it is after Pirates is opened back up, I would recommend Blue Bayou. We also enjoyed Rancho del Zollaco in Frontierland when we were ther in December.

junglemom
03-13-2006, 09:13 PM
the pasta at pizza port is to die for...

Pirate Princess
03-13-2006, 09:40 PM
Obviously it is personal preference. I HATE Rancho... but others like it. However, I can make one general statement about where to eat breakfast: Carnation on Main Street. Everyone in my party LOVED their breakfast. The meals were a perfect size and they were delicious. (Especially the potatoes... well seasoned.. and perhaps a hint of cream? Ohhhh I miss it.) The prices are also fairly reasonable: $6-$8. My suggestion is to ride the rides early and then eat breakfast when the park gets a bit more crowded.
Before the inevitable gets asked, here are the menus: http://www.dlresortinfo.com/DisneylandMenus/dlmenus.html
Edited to add: Share a piece of chocolate cake at the Golden Horseshoe while watching the show. Very rich... and yummy!

I Heart Disneyland!
03-13-2006, 10:28 PM
Don't know exactly when you will be there, but, I love Blue Bayou at lunch time. They are currently closed with the POTC changes.

Also, before IT closes, later this year, I love Bengal BBQ that is in Adventureland. It's SOOO good. Chicken or beef on a skewer. Also, asparagus wrapped in bacon. Ooooh, I love it!

We love breakfast at Carnation Cafe on Main Street.

Bread bowls with clam chowder are another favorite of ours!

Have a great time!!!!!

Melaniee
03-13-2006, 11:27 PM
the pasta at pizza port is to die for...
ITA! And in DCA the San Francisco Sourdough place.

SandraVB79
03-14-2006, 12:31 AM
My breakfast favourite: MM pancakes at the River Belle Terrace
My favourite "almost real meal": Clam chowder in bread bowl at NOS (French Market or Café Orleans, I don't remember exactly which one) (+ their chocolate cake of course!)
My faourite "Sandra meets the Flintstones @ DL" meal: turkey legs!!!!!
My favourite snack-to-cool-down: DOLE WHIPS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Pat-n-Eil
03-14-2006, 09:07 AM
There will certainly be a lot of back & forth opinions.

I've done the River Belle Terrace pancake breakfast and it was just okay for us, nothing to write home about.

I used to think Blue Bayou was all ambiance and mediocre food - until my trip a couple of weeks ago. My friend always wanted to dine there so we booked lunch and it was great. The food was just terrrific. He had Jambalaya that he raved about and I had a spinach salad with bay shrimp & salmon that was very very good.

In DCA, we have always found the Wine Country Trattoria to be a nice break with good food, table service, decent prices and a glass of wine if you are so inclined. Good lasagnas as well as meatball sandwiches and some kid items.

The bakery on main street is good if you're looking for a pastry. Cinnamon roll or other sweet items are very good.

twist1980
03-14-2006, 10:10 AM
In DCA, we have always found the Wine Country Trattoria to be a nice break with good food, table service, decent prices and a glass of wine if you are so inclined. Good lasagnas as well as meatball sandwiches and some kid items.

I'm glad you mentioned that! I have it on my list to eat at on my next trip and was wondering how it was!

At DLR, I love Bengal BBQ's kabobs and bacon wrapped asparagas and they are only around $3 a piece! :D And Dole Whips (which are sold outside the Tiki Room) are to die for. I eat at least one a day when I am there. The Blue Bayou is great for ambiance, but the food is only so-so. The breakfast at Club Buzz in Tomorrowland is around $8 for eggs, bacon, potatoes, a muffin and OJ and was pretty good.

At DCA, I actually really liked Award Weiners. My boyfriend and I got a Sicilian Sausage which was an Italian sausage in a bun with marinara and cheese and with shoestring fries. I enjoyed it! We did Ariel's Grotto and thought the food was decent and its a blast to interact with the princesses!

Just remember that if you want to do any character dining or hit the Blue Bayou to make priority seating reservations! You'll be glad you did!

josephfive
03-14-2006, 11:24 AM
Here's what we like:

French Market chicken plate. We upgrade the salad to the fresh fruit plate. It is more than enough for two people to share. I like the atmosphere there and the live music.

Also like Rancho for the atmosphere. Again the chicken is the best thing there and can be shared. The enchiladas can definitely be missed.

My husband is a fan of the corn dog and he makes that a priority stop while he is there!

Like others, we have always had a wonderful experience at Blue Bayou for lunch. At Begal BBQ, we prefer the beef skewer to the chicken.

Okay, now I'm hungry!

Burnt Toast
03-14-2006, 11:24 AM
Bengal BBQ's - Safari skewers... omg I love those. I used to eat those all the time when I worked there.

Other then that, definately one of my favorite places to eat (and yah I know it's not at Disneyland but it's that good and worth the trip) is Whitewater Snacks at the DGCH.

SANDYMARIE
03-14-2006, 11:39 AM
Thumbs up...Hands down....The Blue Bayou! :D

JookyG
03-14-2006, 12:26 PM
I used to think Blue Bayou was all ambiance and mediocre food - until my trip a couple of weeks ago. My friend always wanted to dine there so we booked lunch and it was great. The food was just terrrific. He had Jambalaya that he raved about and I had a spinach salad with bay shrimp & salmon that was very very good.

Ditto here. I used to think the food was terrible until my trip in December. The Jambalaya was definitely to die for. Best I've had this side of New Orleans! Did something change at the BB, higher standards, new head chef or something?

One of my favorites in Disneyland is Bengal Barbecue. If you like meat and veggies on a stick, definitely check it out! It's going away in the fall (Sept?), so try it while you can. Not a full meal, especially if you've been burning calories all day by walking around, but it's a great snack.

Here's hoping the Tahitian Terrace will re-open and the Bengal's offerings will move over there. :D

kimbopotamus
03-14-2006, 02:00 PM
I would certainly go along with Blue Bayou, but you said you would be there in April and it will be closed then.

If you are sitting down to watch a parade, DO get a turkey leg! I had one (or two) for the first time on our trip in March and they are huge and tasty!

The turkey sandwich at Club Buzz is absolutely delicious! Very unexpected, I thought it would be a dry sandwich on some plain bread, but it was very very good. If someone could tell me how to post pics, I have one of this sandwich:D

^^^Can you see a trend here? I think I like turkey!

Walt'sbirthdaygirl
03-14-2006, 04:03 PM
I second the Pasta at Redd Rockets, specifically, the Fusilli. Split that and the ceasar salad and you are set for the afternoon.

As you will be there when the Blue Bayou is closed, its a moot point, the food is good, but I must say the last couple of times we have been there the service was lacking.

tinklover25
03-14-2006, 08:34 PM
Here's what we like:

French Market chicken plate. We upgrade the salad to the fresh fruit plate. It is more than enough for two people to share. I like the atmosphere there and the live music.

Also like Rancho for the atmosphere. Again the chicken is the best thing there and can be shared. The enchiladas can definitely be missed.

My husband is a fan of the corn dog and he makes that a priority stop while he is there!

Like others, we have always had a wonderful experience at Blue Bayou for lunch. At Begal BBQ, we prefer the beef skewer to the chicken.

Okay, now I'm hungry!
I would not leave without a corn dog from the red wagon on main st

tinklover25
03-14-2006, 08:36 PM
I second the Pasta at Redd Rockets, specifically, the Fusilli. Split that and the ceasar salad and you are set for the afternoon.

As you will be there when the Blue Bayou is closed, its a moot point, the food is good, but I must say the last couple of times we have been there the service was lacking.
Ok this is embarrasing but i actually had a dream about the salad with the mandarin oranges in it!!!

daisy4me
03-14-2006, 10:01 PM
[QUOTE=Walt'sbirthdaygirl]I second the Pasta at Redd Rockets, specifically, the Fusilli. Split that and the ceasar salad and you are set for the afternoon.

where is Redd Rockets and do they have differnt kinds of pasta? We love pasta and salad so this place sounds great. Does anyone know the prices and is it better for lunch or dinner???

Malcon10t
03-15-2006, 08:31 AM
[QUOTE=Walt'sbirthdaygirl]I second the Pasta at Redd Rockets, specifically, the Fusilli. Split that and the ceasar salad and you are set for the afternoon.

where is Redd Rockets and do they have differnt kinds of pasta? We love pasta and salad so this place sounds great. Does anyone know the prices and is it better for lunch or dinner???Redd Rocket's Pizza Port is beside Space Mountain. They have a wide variety of pasta and salads. The Fusilli (alfredo with chicken) is INCREDIBLE! And we love the ceasar salads there. Its nice cause drinks are refillable. And my boys can have pizza.

HTanner
03-15-2006, 09:23 AM
I ditto the corn dog. You gotta have one.

Other things to try:

Mint julep and fritters from the stand in NOS. Yum.

Ice cream from the shop on main street - I found if you order a sundae, it is more expensive than if you order two scoops of ice cream and the toppings you want separately. Interesting...

Funnel cake from Tomorrowland Terrace. HUGE - our party of 5 split one (and we are big eaters) and could not finish it.

Explore some of the smaller stands, if they are open. Sometimes, you find unique offerings that are quite good. One year, my brother and I were waiting in line for Splash (LONG before fastpass), and there was a stand open right by the Rivers of America. He ran to get us a snack and came back with stuffed potato skins. OMG, they were to-die for! We never would have tried that place if we hadn't been in line and hungry! LOL!!

Ohhh, I haven't been there in awhile, but I loved the burgers and onion rings in Bear country. Hungry Bear, I think its called.

In DCA - we liked the sandwiches in the train cars. They were very fresh and good.

Also, there is a bakery in one of the shops on the way out. It has VERY GOOD and decadent treats (covered marshmallows... etc.) They were not at all expensive. We were there over Christmas and bought Santa some cookies there. I think he liked them... ;)

We also like the San Francisco sourdough shop. Funny, since we live in SF and can get that stuff anytime we like. They have a shrimp louis in a bread bowl - yum, yum, yum. Lots of shrimp.

Off site-
Just in case you decide to eat off-site - try Millie's. Food portions are huge, good value, and I have yet to have something there I did not like.

If you feel very adventurous, venture to Fairfax Avenue in Hollywood and try Canters. Its open 24-7, except on Rosh Hoshana (forgive me if that's misspelled). They are a very famous Jewish deli. The food is to-die for. Corned beef sandwiches about 8 inches high. The best potato salad I have ever had. They also have a take-out deli and bakery - very inexpensive for what you get. We never go to the LA area without going to Canters.

Keurigirl
03-15-2006, 11:40 AM
My absolute Favorite place to eat is Rancho del Zocallo! We eat lunch there every time we are in Disneyland. They recently changed their menu and their new Monterrey Tacos are to die for. I absolutely loved them. I love eating outside on the patio, it's like a little piece of Mexico to me. It is so fun.

Imagineer In Training
03-15-2006, 04:31 PM
i know this isnt inside of disneyland but we really like the rainforest cafe, its a great atmosphere and the food really is quite good. the only drawback of the whole place is that its usually very crowded, its a hard restaurant to just walk up to and get seated right away....when we ate there i think it took an hour and a half to get seated. but the store and the fish and everything in the waiting area makes the wait go by faster, and in the end the its well worth the wait.

also another place outside of the park and not even within the resort is Mimi's Cafe over across from the HoJo. the food there is really really good, especially their french onion soup, and the portions are fairly good sized. our family of five can split three meals,which saves money when your eating out nearly every night. it isnt really anything super special but the food is good and so is the atmosphere, service, etc. If you plan on eating there go about an hour before "rush hour" dinner. for instance evening, your better off going between four and five rather then trying to go at 5-7, it gets rather busy.

hope that helps you out a little, have a great trip!!!

Disneynerd
03-15-2006, 05:27 PM
I'm just another classy gal suggesting the corn dog cart at the end of Mainstreet USA to the right. But if you are in DCA, then corn dog castle. And if either one of those establishments are not in operation, well you might as well just go home. ;)

Have a great time!

PS. Before I forget, I found it very challenging to find a decent pizza or burger at DLR. Classy, I know.

cstephens
03-16-2006, 06:02 AM
PS. Before I forget, I found it very challenging to find a decent pizza or burger at DLR. Classy, I know.

I like the pizza at Pizza Port, though I know some don't. Best burger is at Whitewater, imo.

tlovesdis
03-16-2006, 06:17 AM
We love the Pacific Wharf Cafe in DCA. Their soup in the bread bowls are so yummy! It's great on a cooler day!